Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

If you follow me on Twitter (twitter.com/bakingblog) then you know that I have been under the weather lately.  When I am sick I turn to soup for comfort.  There is nothing like a bowl of hot soup to put the roses back in your cheeks.

DSCF2191

Of course, when you are sick you do not really feel like spending time stirring, mixing, or watching a pot of veggies get soft.  Enter my slow cooker.  It was a gift at Christmas, to replace my old one which I broke, and I love it!  It meant I could spend five minutes prepping ingredients, take a long nap, and wake up to hot soup!  How fantastic!

I decided upon Chicken Tortilla Soup because it is hearty, spicy, and it tastes best when slowly simmered.  Next time you are sick, or if you just want an easy dinner, try this soup.  It cures what ails you!

Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup   Serves 6

1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 chipotle in adobo, minced
1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained (or 3/4 can diced tomatoes and 1/2 can green chilies, drained)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 avocado, diced
1 limed, cut into wedges
Tortilla chips
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream

DSCF2170 DSCF2173 DSCF2175 DSCF2176 DSCF2179 DSCF2180

Add the chopped vegetables, spices, and broth to the slow cooker.  Stir to combine.  Season with salt and pepper, then add the chicken breasts.

DSCF2183

Add the chicken stock and fresh cilantro.  Stir to combine then cover and set the timer on your slow cooker.   Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.

DSCF2185

After 6 hours on low, or two hours on high, remove the chicken breasts and shred them.  Return the meat to the pot for the remainder of the cooking time.

DSCF2190

Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheese, diced avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, and tortilla chips if desired.  I like my soup with them all, or ‘all the way’!

DSCF2186

This post is my first Thoughtless Thursday entry.

Find out more about Thoughtless Thursday  at the wonderful food blog Pots and Plots!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup”

1. This looks wonderful!! I love chicken tortilla soup and making it in the slow-cooker is a wonderful idea… I love how anything in the slow-cooker always makes the house smell wonderful!

2. A soup like this sounds excellent right now in our rainy weather here. Very delicious!

3. Victoria says:

This looks amazing! I’m a huge fan of soup, and as soon as I invest in a slow cooker I’ll be trying this out :)

4. Danica says:

Awesome pictures!!! I LOVE tortilla soup and to put it in the slow cooker is such a great idea! I am definitely going to have to try this – it looks too good not to.

I added you to my twitter too :) Hope you feel better soon!

5. Sean says:

This looks amazing! I love using my slow cooker. This is definitely on my menu this month!

6. If this was the soup that put the roses back in Kelly’s cheeks and got her back to back to bellydancing, I want some of it. Looks delicious. When I feel under the weather, I find myself wanting a clear, brothy soup like this as supposed to a creamy one.

7. That looks awesome! I am always looking for a good soup recipe, we eat lots of soup. Your pictures are always so awesome!

8. s. stockwell says:

Yes! beautiful shot and the black chips make it hot. We will give this a try. best, s

9. Martha says:

I am so making this!!

10. Julie says:

Beautiful!!! I love the content and pictures are amazing.

11. jenn says:

Awe Kelly, feel better!! That the nice thing a about slow cooker is that you can plop all the ingredients you need right in and it will be ready without the extra energy and effort being used up. What a better way to chicken soup to bring you back to good health.

Delish!!

12. Jessie says:

please send me some soup hehehe That looks amazingly comforting and satisfying.

13. foodhoe says:

Mmmm sounds spicy! Tortilla Soup is one of my favorites, I like the slow-cooker idea. Looks gorgeous with the chips, hope those are blue corn or something…

14. I love chipotles in just about anything. Beautiful, colorful soup! Hope you are feeling better…Haven’t signed up for Twitter yet…do you like it?

15. yum! I love tortilla soup! I don’t think I’ve ever made soup in the slow cooker before- great idea!

16. bergamot says:

Lovely pictures…wish I could taste some of it. A hot spicy soup with the right amount of veggies and meat is just yummmmm…

Debi – I love Twitter! I recommend it!

18. donna says:

This sounds like the perfect soup. Easy to make, flavorful, delicious!

I keep looking for good slow-cooker recipes, and this will definitely be added to the list! One question – you have on here 1/4 cilantro…1/4 of what?

Thanks! Hope you get to feeling better!

That would be 1/4 cup. Oops! Thanks for the catch!

21. Jen says:

I hope you’re feeling better! With this soup, how could you not? ;) Looks very comforting!

22. Hélène says:

I love Tortilla Soup. Great idea to make in the slow-cooker. Get well!

23. Rico says:

Looks beautiful :) xx Rico-Recipes

24. Elin says:

Hi,

Congrats, you are Top 9 today. And thanks for sharing such a wonderful soup with us.

Elin

25. Sweta says:

It looks so good-I love the black chips too!!

26. g says:

it says one can of rotel tomatoes (or 3/4 can of diced tomatoes. what size can?

g – A regular 14oz can

28. Valerie says:

Thanks so much for the recipe! I made it this week and have been enjoying leftovers all week long. It is so flavorful and a great winter soup.

1. Thoughtless Thursdays: Crock Pot Beer Bread « Pots and Plots - January 12, 2010

[…] feel like doing a lot of chopping and prep, she turned to her Crock pot and made a fabulous looking Chicken Tortilla Soup.  5 minutes of prep, a long nap, and voila, fabulous, fragrant […]