Spiced Butter Poached Shrimp

I love shrimp.  Once upon a time I only ate them fried, but now that I am older and wiser I like them grilled, baked, and boiled also.

DSCF2305

While watching television the other night I saw a segment about a restaurant that poaches their shrimp in a spiced butter.  They did not say what the spices were, but the resulting shrimp looked wonderful!  I decided I could come up with my own spice mixture and give this method a dry.

DSCF2308

If you have not butter poached seafood before, may I say that you must try it?  I mean, come on … it’s butter!  You know it will be good, and these shrimp are spicy, rich, and oh so tender!

Spiced Butter Poached Shrimp   Serves 4

32 shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 sticks unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon hot sauce

Rinse the shrimp and dry with a towel.  Set aside.

DSCF2301

In a heavy skillet melt the butter over medium low heat with the onions and garlic.  Allow the butter to infuse for 5 min.

DSCF2302

Add the spices and hot sauce and stir to combine.  Increase the heat to medium.  When the butter begins to simmer add the shrimp.

DSCF2303

Cook the shrimp for 3-4 min then flip and cook on the other side for 2-3 min.  Remove the shrimp from the butter then strain the butter into a ramekin for dipping.

DSCF2309

Tags: , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Spiced Butter Poached Shrimp”

1. Vendettis says:

This looks fantastic!!

Buttery shrimp, sounds good to me!

3. This looks great! I’m going to try it with Chinese five spice powder and Szechuan peppercorns as the spices. Thanks for the idea!

4. Wonderful preparation for shrimp! Yum!

5. Victoria says:

Wow, this looks amazing!! Great idea!

6. donna says:

This looks super fantastic.. BTW I tried your chocolate chip overload cookies and they are on my blog today.. come read if you get a sec.

Stumptown – Those sound really fantastic! If you try it that way please let me know how it turned out! I adore 5-spice!

Donna – Thanks for the award and cookie love!! I’m flattered!

8. Debbie says:

The shrimp look great. I’ve never tried shrimp that way before…sounds like I need too!

9. doggybloggy says:

the only thing missing in this post is you asking if its ok to send me some….the answer is a resounding YES!

10. jenn says:

Butter and Shrimp in the same sentence. You don’t need to say anything else. Yum yum!!

11. Looks good. I wish my hubby liked shrimp. I rarely make it because I am the only one who will eat it… and I still have to make him something else!

12. Danica says:

That is some great looking shrimp – yum! Shrimp + butter + spice = love!

13. Paula says:

I’ve never poached shrimp before, but now I’m gonna…yum!

14. yeah… that looks all sorts of awesome! I really want to try butter poaching, but I’m scared if i do it once I’ll keep doing it and the next thing I know I’ll have gained 50 pounds.

This looks evil indeed! But yummy!

16. Lynette says:

Wow your shrimp look great. Nice blog first timer. We will be back like Arnold would say.

17. Ooooooh, can you try cooking lobster this way too? C’mon! That would have to be just as good!

18. I have never heard of or tried butter-poaching seafood before, but, like you said, it’s got to be good. Thanks for an educational post, Kelly. I can’t wait to get my hands on some good shrimp so I can make this.

I bet calamari would taste great prepared this way too.

19. Elin says:

Congrats, you are on Top 9 Today. I love shrimps and I love this butter poached shrimps!

20. That looks incredible! I may be gaining weight by just looking at it, but I have to try this anyway.

21. OMG that’s a lot of butter! But it sure looks delicious!

22. ingrid says:

Oh, my goodness that looks insanely good! THANK YOU for the recipe!
    ~ingrid

23. Jennifer says:

I’d make shrimp more often if we could get it local. Not happening unless we move near gulf of mexico.

24. Rico says:

wow that is what I call delicious shrimp. I loved to view this recipe and I can almost taste it just from the photo. :) xx Rico|Recipes

25. HoneyB says:

These look delicious!!!

26. Swedish Mike says:

Hi there,

These shrimps looks just awesome. I must try this recipe, and that very soon.

Thanks for the inspiration!

// Mike

27. Lee says:

Made these tonight and they were awesome! Thanks for the recipe!

Lee