Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin Roast

I love pork products, and I love finding new ways to cook with this most versatile ingredient.

Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin

I am not a big fan of pork roast, however.  Most of the pork roast I have had has been dry, tough, and flavorless.  Even with elaborate stuffing, injections, and coatings I have found most pork roast to be boring.   It is sad because most people I know love pork roast, including my husband.

Ever the culinary adventurer, I decided to buy a pork roast in hopes of finding a way to keep it moist and give it a load of extra flavor so that even I would enjoy it.  Enter my friend bacon.

Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin

The salty and smoky flavor, combined with the tangy mustard rub, added a roundness of flavor to the pork, and the bacon wrap kept the meat very juicy.  I was never a fan of pork roast before, but this recipe has changed my mind.

Pork roast is beautiful!

Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin Roast  Serves 4

1 1lb pork loin roast
3 tablespoons Dijon or hot mustard
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt and pepper
8 slices thick cut bacon

Heat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with foil, then place a metal cooking rack on it that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.

Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin

In a medium bowl combine the mustard, honey, rosemary, thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper.  Coat the pork roast evenly with the mixture.  Set aside while you prepare the bacon.

Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin

Weave the bacon into a lattice, similar to a pie crust, making sure not to not weave it too tightly.

Bacon Wrapped Pork LoinBacon Wrapped Pork Loin

Set the coated pork roast at the top of the bacon and roll the roast, with the bacon, toward you.  It helps to do this on a flexible cutting board or on parchment.  Tuck the ends around the roast and secure with tooth picks.

Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin

Place the wrapped roast on the prepared baking sheet.  Bake until the roast reaches an internal temperature of 160F.

Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin

Allow the roast to rest, tented in foil for 10 minutes before slicing.

Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin

Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin Roast”

1. donna says:

I have one of these in my freezer and I can not wait to make this. Bacon dijon honey rosemary. Heaven Heaven. LOVE your blog, have I told you that lately?

2. Pork on top of pork.
    What could be better?

3. Looks delicious! I do not typically make pork loin roast, either… Your recipe looks wonderful, though. Definitely worth a try!

4. jenn says:

I’ve never been a fan of pork roast either, but the idea of wrapping in bacon to keep it moist. I’ll have to try that sometime. Besides who wouldn’t love meat wrapped around meat, right?

5. doggybloggy says:

this looks like it was a success – why is it that the juciest of meats can also be the driest – pork loin being one of them?

Meat wrapped around meat, especially when one of those meats is bacon, sounds like a perfect choice! I like this idea. Pork roast can get dry, this is a great solution!

7. ruth says:

Wow what combo of flavours!

8. Miranda says:

Yum Yum Yum!!!!
    I love bacon and I love pork…This looks wonderful.
    I love how you weaved the bacon

9. Roasting a large cut of meat can be very intimidating…looks like you had outstanding results here. My mother-in-law is the queen of roast pork- I remember making the first one for my husband (many moons ago)that didn’t quite work (a.k.a. for drier than dry!)…well, I quickly figured out that while the meat rests, it increases in temperature another 5 degrees…a little tip that can make or break your roasting success.

10. Rico says:

Interesting concept ,and delicious food. well done :) xx

11. That’s a great recipe. The bacon wrap is sure to help keep the lean loin moist.

12. This is one of my all time favorites (but we all know that anything with bacon is great). I made several while visiting my daughter (a new mom) in March and she froze them.
    Nice reminder that simple ingredients marry well and taste great.

13. Yeah, the problem with pork loin is that it crosses over from the state of undercooked to the sawdust-dry state very quickly. This flavorful rub and the bacon definitely help to both provide and retain moistness. Beautiful.

P. S. I like the way you gave our friend, Bacon, a beautiful lattice design. :)

14. Spice Miser says:

A teaspoon of cayenne would make that flavor jump a bit because bacon loves pepper.

The Spice Miser

15. Martha says:

This sounds delicious– can’t wait to try it! Approx. how long does it take to roast? Also, I have a dinner guest who is allergic to rosemary– do you have a suggested substitute for it in this recipe? Thanks!