Baked Fish Tacos with Chipotle Dressing

I love warm weather food!  There is nothing like it, and when the temperature breaks the 95F mark I pull out my favorite Summer recipes.

DSCF2922

One such recipe is fish tacos.   Cool and crisp lettuce, creamy avocado, and crunchy fish wrapped in a corn tortilla is perfect for a light afternoon lunch, or a dinner on the patio with a cold beer.   There is just one problem with this dish, and that is deep frying the fish.

DSCF2929

Of course, you know I do not shy away from deep fried foods.  It isn’t that the fish is deep fried, it is that I have to deep fry it.  When it is warm out I despise standing over a pot of hot oil.  No, for the summer I prefer baking my fish.  Most of the time I can do it in my small convection toaster oven and the house stays blessedly cool.  Nice!

DSCF2920

The fish is coated in a mixture of panko bread crumbs and finely crushed tortilla chips.  I actually run mine through the food processor to get them blitzed to crumbs.  The chip crumbs and the panko make a wonderfully crunchy coating.  The only other tip I shall give you is to cut the fish into rather small fingers.  Not only does it speed up cooking, it gives the fish more crunch per bite.  That can’t be bad!

Baked Fish Tacos with Chipotle Dressing Serves 4

4 fish filets – any white fish is fine. I use tilapia
1 cup panko
1 cup finely crushed corn tortilla chips
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cumin
2 egg whites
Cooking spray
8 corn tortillas
Shredded lettuce or cabbage
1 avocado, diced into medium chunks
Chipotle sauce (recipe follows)

Chipotle Dressing:
1/3 cup light mayo
1/3 cup light sour cream
1 chipotle in adobo
1 teaspoon adobo
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon yellow onion
½ teaspoon fresh oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Heat your oven to 375F and spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.

DSCF2902 DSCF2903

Cut the fish into 2” fingers.  Set aside.

DSCF2901

Combine the panko, tortilla chip crumbs, cumin, and salt in a shallow dish. Set aside.

In a small bowl whisk the egg whites until slightly frothy.

DSCF2907

Dip the fish first into the egg whites then into the crumb mixture, making sure to coat the fish well. Set aside on a clean plate for ten minutes.

DSCF2913

Bake for 12 to 16 minutes, or until the fish is golden and it reaches an internal temp of 145F. Time may vary depending on how thick your fish fingers are.

DSCF2909DSCF2910

While the fish bakes make the sauce and heat your tortillas, wrapped in a damp cloth, in the microwave until soft.  For the sauce, combine all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until mixed.

DSCF2918250

Build your tacos by laying down a layer of sauce, a layer of lettuce, some diced avocado, and two or three fish fingers.

DSCF2927

Spritz with lime and devour.

DSCF2919

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Baked Fish Tacos with Chipotle Dressing”

1. doggybloggy says:

the crust on this fish is so absolutely perfect – you gave me a craving – its fish tacos today or bust!

2. Wow – I absolutely adore fish tacos. I never make them because I don’t like to fry. These baked fish tacos look just as good (or better) than the usual fried variety! I’m saving this one for later!!

I love that these are baked. I love fish tacos but not when they are fried! We usually grill ours, but I want to try your version next time!

4. megan says:

I thought fish taco sounded gross till I tried them last year. Now I love them and these look superb! I like that they are baked too. Perfect summer meal that will be on my menu this summer.

5. Ben says:

Oh yummy! I love the chipotle dressing, chipotles make everything taste better :-p

It’s nice to see someone else besides just me has a chipotle obsession! These sound yummy! I love fish tacos.

7. Jessie says:

these fish tacos are calling my name, I’m digging the chipotle dressing too. I love spice and flavors going on here!

8. We didn’t even know fish went into tacos until we moved to California. It was a novel idea. Thanks for sharing a recipe!

9. jenn says:

What were the chances of the both of us posting about fish tacos. LOL. I love that you baked the fish. That’s my kind of cooking. I can just imagine the crunchiness all around. Yum!

10. I usually grill fish for the tacos to keep them light. Love the idea of baking them..crunchy without the added fat.

11. Yum! Here in Southern CA, fish tacos are pretty much a weekly staple. My son loves them. These are similar to an Ellie Krieger recipe that I make with the chipotle cream sauce. Great recipe!

12. Miranda says:

Wow! You always AMAZE me!!!

13. alice says:

Looks fabulous. I like the fact they have crushed tortilla, just curious, what made you think to add those? Brilliant.

Alice – Two things inspired me. One was corn flake crumbs, which I use for coating chicken. They are crunchy and so are chips. The second was chips and salsa. The chips are so crispy and taste so ‘Tex-Mex’ and I wondered how it would taste as a coating.

Miranda – Thank you! :)

Lori – I will have to check out Ellie’s recipe. I have seen some of her shows, and her food always seems good. She inspired me to try turkey meatballs, actually. I reworked the recipe for my taste, but she inspired me.

15. lola says:

looks delicious, thanks for the recipe!

16. JehanP says:

yum! This looks so good and so fresh and seasonal. I love fish tacos and have been wanting to try them. I will have to try your recipe!

17. Looking forward to trying especially the chipotle dressing. I’ve made a few and haven’t found the perfect-for-me combination yet.

18. i love summer foods as well and your fish tacos are making me so hungry. they look so delicious!

19. These are fish tacos are just fabulous! Love the crispy fish and the chipotle dressing is the best!

20. I can’t think of a ton of bbq recipes I can use that chipotle dressing on. Thanks so much.

21. Kevin says:

Those fish tacos look so good! I really like the sound of that chipotle dressing.

22. Colleen says:

I Made these with Halibut. I marinated the halibut first with a little lime juice, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder and cayenne.

The mayo/chipolte sauce IS SOOO good! You could definitely used that on anything, burgers sandwiches, whatever! It’s flavorful and guilt free! I used one and a half chipolte, i like it spicy, it was good , but i wish i used less chipolte.

Also I wish the fish was crispier. It looked like it would be crispy but it was not. How do I get it crispier without overcooking the fish?

Colleen – You may want to try a hotter oven. You can cook them at 400 if you want to see if that improves the crunch. Also, did you use Panko and regular tortilla chips? If you used the baked kind they would not be nearly as crisp as the regular kind. Hope that helps!

24. kristen says:

Oh yum! Definitely saving this recipe, the BF will love it :)

25. gaga says:

That sauce look heavenly! I also like that the fish looks so crispy. Yummy!

26. Lauren says:

Amazing Amazing! I rarely if ever leave comments. I tried this recipe last night and it came out perfect. I loved it!!!! It’s a definite recipe to keep!!

1. Friday Favorites - Episode 13 | my kitchen addiction - June 12, 2009

[...] them at home, though. As I have mentioned before, I don’t deep fry.  So, when I saw these Baked Fish Tacos from Evil Shenanigans, I was thrilled!  You can be sure that I will be making these for dinner sometime very [...]

2. Baked Fish Sticks « Pots and Plots - June 23, 2009

[...] When I started out with this recipe, I had every intention of making the Baked Fish Tacos from Evil Shenanigans.  But when I got started I realized I didn’t actually have half the ingredients, so I wound [...]