Mon, Jun 22, 2009

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

It is a wonderful thing to have a good, trusty cookie recipe.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

It’s good because a trusty recipe can be changed, added to, and amended to create all kinds of different cookies.  I have a lot of recipes that are what I consider ‘base’ recipes.  They are fine on their own, but add a little of this and a little of that and you have a whole new dish that you can add to your rotation.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

The ‘base’ recipe for these cookies is my Chocolate Chip Overload Cookies.  Lovely on their own.  Better than lovely, in fact, but the perfect place to start when a craving hits, or in my case when a special request is made.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I received a request for a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie cake for a birthday.  I make pan cookies at the holidays every year, so I took my pan cookie know-how and applied it to this recipe.  This recipe made one 10″ cookie cake and 3 dozen small cookies for me, but you could easily make one 14″ cookie cake, or one half sheet sized pan cookie.  It is versatile, and really tasty!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies   Yield 3dozen cookies and 1 – 10″ cookie cake

2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, cold
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 – 12 oz bags semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups quick cooking oats

Heat the oven to 350 F and line two sheet pans with parchment paper, plus an ungreased 10″ cake pan

In a bowl mix the flour, baking soda, and salt until well combined.  Set aside.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

In the bowl of a mixer cream the butter and two sugars until mixed, but not fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well.  Add the vanilla and cinnamon.  Stir to combine.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Pour in the flour mixture and stir until the flour is almost absorbed, then add the chocolate chips and mix until the chip are incorporated and no flour remains.  (You may need to do this by hand)

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Using half the dough to start, press the dough evenly into the cake pan, making sure the dough reaches 1/3 of the way up the pan.  Scoop the remaining dough into 1″ balls onto the prepared sheet pans.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Bake the cookies for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the edges are golden.  Allow the individual cookies to cool for 3 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy warm.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Bake the cake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the top of the cookies is golden brown all over and it is pulling away from the pan slightly.  Cool the cookie cake completely before running a thin knife around the edge and turning out.  Decorate as desired.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Serve with smiles and well wishes!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies”

1. I love versatile recipes – this one looks great! I especially like the idea of the cookie cake… looks so delicious!

2. doggybloggy says:

wow a cake that eats like a cookie that eats like a meal….fantastic!

3. I’ve made cookies and bars very similar to this for years but with only one bag of chocolate chips — moderation after all.

4. Looks absolutely delicious, that would be my birthday cake for next year!

5. ValleyWriter says:

Mmmmmm… can I have a bite (or two) for breakfast, please?

One of my friend’s birthdays is this week. I just might make this. It looks wonderful! I am a huge cookie fan but not a cake fan…this is a great recipe to have on hand! THANKS!

7. Sunshine Mom says:

Oh, wow. Oh, oh, wow! Those pictures make me hungry. I can’t wait to try this recipe!!

8. SKM says:

WOW. This looks incredible. Chocolate chip and oatmeal is my fave cookie combo. :)

9. Cindy H says:

Oh don’t these look great, and I love the idea of a choice between cookies or cake! Recipe is duly copied and saved. Butter, Brown Sugar, Chocolate Chips and Oatmeal. We can’t go wrong!
    Cindy H
    Brown Sugar

10. Theresa says:

You are killing me! I just made your chocolate loaf cake, and now you lay this on me?! I use to request cookie cakes for my birthday growing up because I didn’t care much for regular cake. I will definitely be bookmarking this one to make later!

11. I am going to make these this week!! My husband is going out of town and I will let the girls help me to keep us busy.
    I love your site.
    But let me say, these are the best looking cookies I have ever seen…..AMAZING.
    Thank you.

12. There are so many oatmeal cookie recipes out on the web it can be overwhelming for unseasoned or beginning cooks to determine which one to give a try.
    Your presentation of an old familiar recipe is concise and one that would make that first timer comfortable giving it a try.
    Thank you for posting it.

13. jenn says:

I want that cookie cake!! I see those all the time whenever I pass a Mrs. Fields shop. Nice. And who would resist a chocolate chip cookie with oatmeal too!

14. Ruth says:

The cake looks amazing! What a brilliant idea for a birthday cake!

15. My girls will love making this one :) Thanks!

16. Karine says:

Everything looks so yummy!!!

17. You mean I can have *both* cake and cookies? Ha. That’s why I love coming here. I would love this cake for my birthday served with a glass of cold milk. That would make getting older much more bearable. :)

18. i love how these are so super chocolatey!

19. donna says:

Loved your choc chip overloads, now I have got to try this!! Sounds delicious!

20. bridget says:

Oh wow…I want that RIGHT NOW!!

21. Katrina says:

Love the big cookie! At our house, we prefer cookies over cake!

22. i love cookie cakes, i could eat an entire one whole in one sitting if i really tried. and yours looks just spectacular!

23. Jessie says:

I never had a cookie cake but that looks divine! I wish I could have a slice right now

24. Jenni says:

I respect a cookie that is more “chip” than “cookie!” Looks amazing:)

25. Seriously. What’s with all the pictures?

HA HA!

Looks wonderful, Kelly. I like the idea of doing either a cake or cookie. And I just love all the chocolate chips you put in.

26. Susan says:

I just made a cookie cake myself. I ended up layering it, instead of making one thick one. Your pictures look great…much better than mine! :-) The inside of that cookie cake looks so decadent! YUM!

27. Tracy says:

Wow! 2 bags of chocolate chips. Excellent looking recipe. I’ve been starting to like chocolate chips in my oatmeal cookies lately.

28. Danica says:

I LOVE the idea of using the cookies both ways – that’s a ton of chocolately goodness too!

29. This is pure evil!! I want a slice of that cookie cake!

30. Butterfly says:

All I can say is WOW!!

31. CookieShopDream says:

Oh. My. Holy. Flying. Bananas. Just looking at it has me pulling out the KitchenAid and pouring a glass of milk. Guess what I’m having for dinner tonight?

1. Chocolaty Weekend Links : Chocolate Bytes - All About Chocolate - Delicious Chocolate Recipes - June 28, 2009

[…] Chocolate Cookie Cake from Evil […]