Pot Stickers with Pork Filling – Daring Cooks June 2009

Sun, Jun 14, 2009

Asian, Cooking, Featured Articles, Recipes

I decided, because I don’t have enough to do, that I would join The Daring Kitchen.  I know.  I know.

DSCF2858

This month’s Daring Cooks Challenge is by Jen from Use Real Butter who challenged us all to make homemade pot sticker wrappers.

DSCF2850

Overall, it was not terribly difficult, but it did take a little time to roll and fill the dumplings.  Of course, if you have friends and family willing to help, an assembly line makes things go much faster!

DSCF2852

I would make this again for a special occasion or dinner party.  If you have ever had a fresh wrapper you will be reluctant to go back to frozen wrappers.  For all their ease of use, they lack flavor and a delightful texture that fresh wrappers have.

DSCF2864

I opted for a pork filling for my pot-stickers because I was cooking them for my mother-in-law who prefers pork to any other filling.  That was fine with me.  I adore pork filling with some yummy garlic soy dipping sauce.

DSCF2865

1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons corn starch

For assembly:
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

DSCF2844DSCF2845

Weigh out your ingredients and mix them with a stand mixer until a smooth ball forms, about 5 to eight minutes.  Cover and allow to rest at least 30 minutes, but I let mine rest, chilled, for two hours.

DSCF2851

While the dough rests prepare your filling by combining all the ingredients in a large bowl.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

DSCF2847DSCF2848

Divide the rested dough into half and, working with one half at a time keeping the other half covered, divide those half into about 32 pieces.

DSCF2849

Using a straight rolling pin roll each piece into 3″ circle that is about 1/8″ thick.  Fill the center with a tablespoon of pork filling.

DSCF2853

In a shallow dish make a slurry with the cornstarch and water.  Dip your finger in the slurry and wipe it along the edge of one half of the dumpling.  Fold the dough over and seal.

Heat a pan, which has a lid, over medium heat.  Add a tablespoon of oil to the pan and swirl to coat the bottom.  Place the dumplings in the pan and allow to fry until browned, about three minutes.  Pour in a few tablespoons of water and cover with the lid so the dumplings can steam.  Allow to cook an additional five minutes.

DSCF2859

Serve the pot stickers with soy sauce mixed with some crushed garlic and a few drops of sesame oil.

DSCF2868

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to “Pot Stickers with Pork Filling – Daring Cooks June 2009”

1. maria says:

Great job! These look great! I usually cheat and use won ton wrappers and stuff with veggies. I will have to try this recipe next time. Thanks!

2. OMG I never know the dumpling wrapper dough was just flour and water. Duh! These look delicious. I am crazy for dumplings but it’s one of those things I assumed I’d always have to get from Chinese takeout. I might actually attempt these now!

3. I love to make homemade potstickers. They freeze well, too.

4. Tanya Eby says:

Wow. These look fantastic. I love dim sum and these will fit right in. Thanks for posting!

5. jenn says:

You’ve got me craving for some dim sum right now. Yumyum!!!!

6. It’s always amazing to me when I make a simple wonton or egg roll dough or a pasta.
    Just flour and water. Sometimes an egg and salt.

The texture and the taste go beyond anything I’ve tasted before.

And it’s just flour and water.

7. doggybloggy says:

holy west coast moly – these look like they were made by an eastern bloc grandmother in the 1940’s = well done!

These look so delicious! This is one thing I want to try to learn to make…maybe need to put it on the list to make very, very soon! Great job!

9. looks amazing! Great job!

10. Labor of love, but nothing beats the home made version. I’m sure your mother in law loved them!

11. Jessie says:

amazing! they look so authentic too, great job :)

12. Valérie says:

Congratulations on your first challenge! Your dumplings looks very appetizing! I also thought it was worth making fresh wrappers.

13. I love homemade potstickers! Yours look so yummy!

14. Natashya says:

They look wonderful! Great job.

15. LegalAlien says:

Your potstickers look good and juicy!

16. Great job….they look great!

17. What a great job you did on this challenge wonderful series of photos make everything so clear and the pleating is nice. Love the colour you got on the potstickers. Cheers

18. Oh, these dumplings look perfect. Great job, Kelly. I agree once you’ve tasted fresh dumpling skins, you don’t want to go back to store-bought.

19. Lisa says:

Wonderful job! They look perfect. I’m also OFF premade dumpling and wonton skins! Plus, the dough is easier to pleat, since you don’t need water :)

20. kristen says:

yum! will definitely be making my own wrappers from now on. good stuff :)

21. Danica says:

MMMMM – I LOVE Potstickers but they always require so much work to make. your pictures make it seem worth the effort for sure!

22. These look delicious!

I recently decided to join the Daring Bakers… need to see how that goes before I tackle Daring Cooks, as well. So far, I am procrastinating on my June recipe for Daring Bakers.

23. Jenni says:

Whoa, wait… does this make 32 total? Or 32 each dough half? I’m confused. I’m sure I’ll figure it out once I attempt them, but I can’t see being able to cook 64 at one go! If you freeze, do you freeze them filled, and then thaw and cook as wanted? Do you cook them in batches? Or do you have several pans on the go? I can’t wrap my head around even fitting 32 in a pan!

1. Pot Stickers with Pork Filling - Daring Cooks June 2009 - June 14, 2009

[…] willing to help, an assembly line makes things go much faster!   I would make this again for a click for more var gaJsHost = ((“https:” == document.location.protocol) ? “https://ssl.” : […]