Queso Blanco

There are certain foods that I crave and am completely unable to resist.

Queso Blanco

One of those foods is queso blanco.  This creamy cheese dip is finding its way on to the menus of  Tex-Mex restaurants next to the traditional orange chili con queso.  It is made with a variety of white cheeses and spices depending on where you buy it.

Queso Blanco

Of course, I decided to try making my own queso blanco, but most of the recipes I found resulted in unstable sauces that more often than not broke into a watery mess.  Traditional recipes for queso at home call for processed cheese, which is just fine in its own way, but it did not have the right flavor.

Queso Blanco

Enter the wonderful blog Homesick Texan.  She has a recipe for traditional queso, which I easily adapted into a creamy and highly addictive queso blanco.

Queso Blanco   Serves 4-8

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 Serrano chili, seeded and minced
1/4 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons salted butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
6 ounces shredded Monterrey jack cheese
Hot sauce to taste

Queso BlancoQueso Blanco

In a medium saucepan heat the oil over medium heat until it shimmers.  Add the onion, jalapeno, and Serrano peppers and saute for three minutes.  Add the garlic and cumin, and cook until fragrant, about thirty seconds.  Remove the vegetables pan and set aside.

Queso Blanco Queso Blanco

Melt the butter over medium heat and add the flour.  Mix well and cook for two to three minutes.   Pour in the milk slowly, making sure to whisk out any lumps.  Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until it begins to simmer and thicken slightly.

Queso Blanco

Add the vegetables to the sauce then turn off the heat.  Add the cheese in three installments making sure the first addition is melted before adding the next.  Stir in hot sauce to taste.

Queso Blanco

Serve with tortilla chips.  Try to save some for everyone else.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to “Queso Blanco”

1. One of my all time favorite snack. I’ve been thinking about making some recently and now you’ve inspired me. Thanks! :D

2. AJ says:

Yum! This looks fantastic. Just gorged myself on queso this weekend, but I’m up for more!

3. s. stockwell says:

What a rich, delicious idea. This would be good with our Monticito Burrito as a sauce? sounds great & we will make this one. Best, s

YUM! I love Homesick Texan’s blog as well…but love that you interpreted this as a queso blanco. Where would the world be without queso?

5. ruth says:

Never tried this! Im going to have to now!!

6. jenn says:

I love the thickness of it. Mmmm… pass some torilla chips, please. i could eat that all day.

7. Cookie says:

This sauce looks amazingly rich and delicious! I’ve never had Queso Blanco before except maybe in a Mexican restaurant without even realizing it! I can’t wait to test this out at our July 4th BBQ!

8. Memoria says:

Um. yes. I want this. Now.

Thank you so much for posting this! I can’t believe I forgot about making this dish! I love queso blanco even more than the yellow variety.

9. maria says:

Hubs loves this stuff. It is too rich for me, but I can eat salsa while he indulges:) I hope you feel better soon!

10. Jessie says:

ohhh I have to give this one a go! This looks so yummy, I love dips.

11. Carmen says:

I can’t wait to try this!

12. deeba says:

Sounds out of this world…what a finger-licking good dip! WOW!!

13. WOW – looks so delicious! I want some right now. I am in love with all things Tex/Mex!

14. teresa says:

I don’t know how anyone could resist this, it looks fantastic!

15. Christina says:

Totally making this for dinner!

16. Emily says:

I’m so glad you posted this recipe! I’ve been trying to figure out how to make this stuff all year, but all the recipes I tried were either too watery, too thick or the cheese wouldn’t melt right. I can’t wait to try this one! My favorite Mexican restaurant recently closed, so it would be great to finally be able to eat this at home.

17. Memoria says:

I made this today. It came out looking just like yours, but it didn’t taste as good as the queso blanco I’m accustomed to eating. Even though I cooked the roux for more than 2.5 minutes, I could still taste the flour a bit. So weird. I still ate a bunch of it, though. I had to add a lot of extra seasoning (salt, more hot sauce and cumin) to make it a little better. I wonder what I did wrong. I’ve made besciamella/béchamel plenty of times.

Memoria – I’m sorry your queso did not come out with a better flavor. I’m not sure why you could taste such a strong flour flavor. That is odd. I can only think that there was either too much flour, or it needed to cook longer. Sorry again!!

19. Megan Walton says:

So, I tried this recipe today, and let me just say that it did not turn out at all how I expected.
    You raved about this recipe being similar to the Queso Blanco you find at many Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurants, and I was very disappointing after finishing this recipe.
    I followed each and every one of your instructions to a T, making no variations at all.
    I encourage everyone interested in making a Queso Blanco to look else where, because this is definitely not what you are looking for.

Megan – I am very sorry you did not enjoy this recipe. I suppose it is a matter of taste. Thanks for stopping by.

1. Twitted by DisneyFoodBlog - June 29, 2009

[...] This post was Twitted by DisneyFoodBlog [...]

2. Twitted by bakingblog - June 29, 2009

[...] This post was Twitted by bakingblog [...]

3. Happy Hour no. 5 : Old Sweet Song - September 9, 2011

[...] Queso Blanco from Evil Shenanigans | My own “recipe” for a Michelada Category: cheers!, get in my belly! [...]

4. 20 Snacks to Choose From This Weekend | GIF Peanut Butter - May 4, 2012