Soft Taco Stack

I’ll admit it.  I do not use my new slow-cooker enough.  I really don’t.

Tex-Mex Stack

That is why I am going to try and make a habit of participating in Thoughtless Thursdays over at Pots and Plots.

For this edition of Thoughtless Thursday I made a Soft Taco Stack.  It is all the components of tacos, just arranged differently and cooked more slowly.  What you end up with is something like a Tex-Mex lasagna.  It’s spicy, hearty and takes only twenty minutes to prepare and four hours to slow-cook, or conversely you can bake it for 40 minutes in the oven.  Not to shabby!

Tex-Mex Stack

You can use any kind of ground meat you prefer for this dish.  I opted for ground lean turkey this time around because, if read my last post you know that I ate a whole cow over the weekend.  Ok, maybe not the whole cow, but enough that I needed something a little lighter.

This dish also uses my own taco seasoning blend.  I bring this up because last week a few Twitter friends were wondering why I had not posted it yet.  Well, here it is in all its glory!  You will never buy the packets again, I promise you that.

Tex-Mex Stack

This is easy, tasty, and perfect for a busy weeknight.

Soft Taco Stack   Serves 4-6

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 pound ground lean beef, turkey or chicken
1 recipe taco seasoning (below)
1 cup diced onion

1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon table salt)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or less to taste
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Tex-Mex Stack Tex-Mex Stack

Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the oil and wait for it to heat to a shimmer.  Add the onion and cook for three minutes, until softened, then add the garlic.  Cook for one minute.

Tex-Mex StackTex-Mex Stack

Add the ground meat and allow to cook through.  While it cooks mix the taco seasoning.

Tex-Mex StackTex-Mex StackTex-Mex Stack

Once the meat is cooked through drain off any excess fat then add the taco seasoning, Rotel tomatoes, and water.  Stir well and allow to simmer for ten minutes, or until the water has mostly evaporated and the meat is coated in a thick sauce.

Tex-Mex StackTex-Mex StackTex-Mex StackTex-Mex Stack

Divide the meat into thirds.  Place the first third on the bottom of your slow-cooker insert.  Lay three corn tortillas over the meat, then half of the shredded cheeses.  Repeat this process until the complete.

Tex-Mex Stack

At this point you can refrigerate until ready to use, or place directly into your slow cooker and cook on low for four hours.

Tex-Mex Stack

Serve with sour cream.

Tex-Mex Stack

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Soft Taco Stack”

Hubs will love this one. He is always begging for Mexican!

2. Super creative twist on taco night. Loving it!

3. doggybloggy says:

talk about ease and tons of flavor – this is chapter one of that book!

4. Wow this is almost like my mexican lasagna.

I never thought to do it in the crock pot! Wonderful idea!

5. s. stockwell says:

You always do such great posts!! With wonderful photos and creative tasty ideas…we love it. This is a family dinner classic? great. Thanks,s

6. Looks wonderful! I love Mexican dishes. I also need to start using my crock pot more often. I find that I typically only use it in the winter when it is really cold! I like the Thoughtless Thursdays idea… thanks for sharing your recipe!

7. donna says:

Sounds wonderful. I just made something similar, but yours looks much better. Perfect weeknight dish

8. jenn says:

MMMMMMM…I’m a soft taco addict!!! This beat having the small individual wraps. I’ll take this. Bookmarking it for my soft taco cravings.

9. Ruth says:

Excellent recipe and pics. Bookmarked!

10. JehanP says:

I LUV spanish food! This looks soo yummy..I have to try this.

11. Love the idea of this delicious soft taco stack! Great recipe!

12. Liz says:

This looks amazing and I can’t wait to try it out on hubby! Yum!

13. I definitely need some of that! It looks wonderful and we love anything that has the word taco in it LOL

14. deeba says:

WHOA…love the look of this stack…YUM YUM! Thanks for the recipe for the taco seasoning too!

15. teresa says:

Oh yum! Bookmarking this one for sure!

16. Great idea and looks very easy to make! Well done!

17. Jessie says:

We’re huge fans of mexican food and this looks amazing! very comforting too and so easy to make. I’m going to give this a try sometime this weekend or next week. I’ll let you know how it came out :)

18. Rachelle says:

Thanks. I love to make my own seasoning mixes and I love the crockpot. I am glad you are doing Thoughtless Thursdays. I am trying to think of an idea for next week.

19. ahh comfort food. Your seasoning sounds really good!

20. Rico says:

Very delicious and filling that’s how I like it. thnks. Well you can find me here too Rico|Recipes :) xx

21. jenn says:

that looks amazing! I have yet to really break in my own slow-cooker… perhaps one day soon, I will try this recipe!

22. Ha, the much anticipated taco mix! Thank you! :)

23. Danica says:

Wow – I was seriously drooling reading this one – amazing! I LOVE the slow cooker concept but the results are amazing. I am definitely adding this one to my list of things to make. Thanks for the recipe!

24. Sunshine Mom says:

I saw a similar recipe in one of my slow cooker cook books and thought it sounded interesting. I just wasn’t sure how it would turn out. You’ve convinced me to give it a try! It looks amazing!!

25. Heidi says:

This sounds wonderful and I know my husband will really enjoy it.
    I was curious – do you make the seasoning only when you do taco dishes or do you make it in batches to keep on hand?

Heidi – I usually just make it as I need it, but you could make a big batch if you like!

27. Ken Knerr says:

If in the oven, what temp?

1. Thoughtless Thursday: Hawaiian Pork Chops « Pots and Plots - June 4, 2009

[...] from Evil Shenanigans also had a yen for Mexican this week.  She had better luck with her Soft Taco Stack.  That looks [...]