Cherry Cheese Tart

I love fresh cherries, and at this time of year they are plump and sweet.

Cherry Cheese Tart

When the cherries hit the produce section I grab them up for cherry pies, cherry sauce, and for eating ice cold on a hot day.  However, I must warn you, cooking with fresh cherries in season will spoil you for any other kind of cherry.  Even the frozen kind, picked and preserved at their peak, pale in comparison to fresh.

Cherry Cheese Tart

I also love cherry cheese danish … more than I can say.  There is something about tart cherries and tangy sweet cheese filling that appeals to me more than any other combination.  It seemed natural to me to transform the best part of the danish, the filling, into a tart!

Cherry Cheese Tart

The result was creamy, tart, not too sweet, and good for both breakfast AND dessert!  Bonus!  It stores well for two days, so feel free to make this in advance for a dinner party or brunch.

Cherry Cheese Tart   1 9″ Tart – Serves 8

2 cups fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Heat the oven to 425F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.

Cherry Cheese Tart Cherry Cheese Tart Cherry Cheese Tart Cherry Cheese Tart

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, and salt.  Mix well, then add the cubed butter.  Rub it into the flour mixture with your fingers.  You will want about 30% of the butter to be in pieces between pea and hazelnut sized, while the rest is blended in well.  Add the cold water, starting with three tablespoons and adding the fourth if needed, and knead about ten times.  Form into a disk, cover with plastic and chill for 30 or up to three days.

Cherry Cheese Tart

While the dough chills prepare the cherry topping.

Cherry Cheese TartCherry Cheese Tart

In a medium sized pan mix the cherries, cornstarch, sugar, and water.  Cook over medium heat until thick, about ten minutes.  Allow to cool slightly then add the almond extract and lemon juice.  Stir well and cool to room temperature then store, in an air tight container, in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Next, prepare the cheese filling.

Cherry Cheese Tart

In the bowl of a food processor, or stand mixer, add the cream cheese, sour cream, vanilla, lemon zest, and sugar.  Process until very smooth.

Cherry Cheese Tart Cherry Cheese Tart

Add the flour and blend until combined.  Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Cherry Cheese Tart

Roll out the dough for the crust on a well floured surface.  Line the inside of the tart pan with the dough, making sure not to pull or stretch the dough in the pan, and trim off any excess.  Dock the dough with a fork then line the crust with parchment and add pie weights, beans or rice.

Bake for 10 minutes, remove the weights and parchment and bake for 10 additional minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.

Cherry Cheese TartCherry Cheese Tart

Lower the oven temperature to 350F.  Fill the crust with the cheese filling and bake for 30 minutes, or until puffed all over.

Cherry Cheese Tart

Cool to room temperature, or cover and store in the refrigerator for up to two days.

Cherry Cheese Tart

Spread the cherry topping over the tart before serving.

Cherry Cheese Tart

Enjoy for breakfast or dessert!

Cherry Cheese Tart

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “Cherry Cheese Tart”

1. It looks absolutely delicious! I like the reference to the cheesecake without being a cheesecake!

2. ValleyWriter says:

Another incredible creation! I have to get a tart pan now!

3. Wow, I’m salivating… love cherries and to couple them with cheese is a brilliant idea.

4. Don says:

That looks stunning! Hope you don’t mind my planning to lift the cheery topping for a ricotta cheesecake I plan to make in the near future :)

5. Snowbell says:

This mouth watering – can’t wait to give this recipe a try!

6. jenn says:

Ya know, week after week, I keep eyeing the cherries at the farmer’s market. Then I see this tart and you just nailed the final nail on the coffin. I need to seriously get me some.

7. I have not made a tart yet, but this look phenominal..
    Thanks

8. I am also a big fan of fresh cherries in the summer… I have bought a whole bunch of them already this year. These cheese tart sounds perfect – I love that it’s not too sweet. I just might have to make this if I see more cherries at the store.

9. Lauren says:

I am really loving using fresh cherries at the moment, but mostly in breads and cakes, but a tart! That’s a great idea, most give this one a go!

10. Amanda says:

Ooooohhhh yay!! I ust picked a ton of sour cherries from a neighbor’s tree. I blogged about a Sour Cherry Almond Cake I made which was divine, and THIS looks totally amazing. I must try it!

11. …wiping the drool off my keyboard…;)

12. laura says:

beautiful! as always!

13. penny says:

looks so dangerously delicious. I will need to wait till summer to bake this.
    YUM!

14. kristy says:

Oh, that look so delicious! I love cream cheese in anything. Probably will try this out soon.

Wow, yum. Even though I’m finding cherries week after week at $1/lb, they never seem to make their way into baked goods…always just eaten fresh and cold. But this looks yummy!

16. Ramya Kiran says:

Looks delicious!

17. teresa says:

This is so pretty! I don’t bake near enough with cherries!

18. Joyce says:

Help me! I love fruit desserts so much but I’m trying not to indulge this summer and now I’ve stumbled on this. I love cherries and this looks so amazing! Perhaps just one dessert…

19. Looks fabulous! I’ve been wanting to make something with cherries since they look great right now. I think this is definitely it!

20. Shari says:

wow, this tart looks awesome! I love cherries and now have another reason to play with my new cherry pitter, thanks

21. Rachelle says:

I may just run out and make this tomorrow. Cherries are on sale and I have a cherry pitter waiting to be used.

22. Janice says:

I just had a piece–very tasty, not too sweet. Thank you very much for the recipe!

23. Judy says:

Really yummy looking recipe. I love the combination of cream cheese and fruit. I was set on making rustic tartlettes though, and used variations of your ideas for them. The crust is amazing. http://easyandtastyfood.com/2009/08/rustic-cherry-cream-cheese-tartlettes/
    Thanks!

24. Jen says:

Hi Kelly – This sounds delicious! I am picking cherries today and I would love to make this. One question – what size tart pan did you use? Mine is larger than the usual tart pan, so unless you also used an 11-inch tart pan, I would need to scale up. Or make mini tarts – those are always fun!

Thanks!

25. Jen says:

And as soon as I posted this, I saw that you already said it was a 9 inch tart. Thanks anyway!

26. Olympia R says:

I can literally smell and taste this tart already! This dish is going to WOW the family at the bbq this wkend! I’m going to have to make one that stays at MY HOUSE!

27. Dave says:

Just watched your youtube video where you made SL’s cherry “pie”–I could taste the fakeness the whole time I watched–but THIS, this makes my mouth water. I’m quite excited to give this recipe a try.

28. Laura S says:

The topping for this tart was inedible. 2 tablespoons of cornstarch is absurd, it gave it the taste and texture of glue. I had to throw out what I made and simply pressed halved and pitted cherries right into the cheesecake and let it puff up around it.

1. Lemon Cherry Cake | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - July 27, 2009

[...] is what happened when I bought cherries for my Cherry Cheese Tart.  I bought loads of pretty cherries and used maybe half.  I ate about a third of the remaining [...]

2. Rustic Cherry Cream Cheese Tartlettes | Easy And Tasty Food - August 20, 2009

[...] used several sources to develop this recipe, most notably, Evil Shenanigans provided excellent inspiration and ingredient ideas and amounts. Rustic Cherry Cream Cheese [...]

3. Plum and Cream Cheese Tart | Easy And Tasty Food - August 31, 2009

[...] used several sources to develop this recipe, most notably, Evil Shenanigans provided excellent inspiration and ingredient ideas and amounts. var linkwithin_site_id = 33161; [...]

4. Whole Story » Blog Archive » Food Blogger Cherry Favorites - June 28, 2010