Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

Wed, Jul 1, 2009

Cooking, Featured Articles, Recipes, Soup

If you have been following me on Tiwtter then you know that I recently had some minor oral surgery.  For three to five days after I was to be on a soft food diet.   I know, how depressing.

Tomato Basil Soup

Well, I decided to be proactive and make some flavorful and hearty soups before I went in so my soft food experience would not be so dull, bland, and boring.  No offense, but there was no way I was going to live off Campbell’s Soup and pudding cups.

Tomato Basil Soup

One of my favorite comfort dishes is creamy tomato basil soup.  Having tried a variety of recipes for tomato soup, most of which were lacking in flavor or texture, I decided to take the recipe that was the most like what I wanted and tweak it.

Tomato Basil Soup

The following is adapted from a recipe on CD Kitchen.  The original recipe seemed a little bland to me, and if I was going to be eating nothing but soup for the better part of a week, it was going to have plenty of flavor.

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup    Serves 8

2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
1/2 cup diced celery
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 bay leaf
2 – 16 ounce cans diced tomatoes
2 -16 ounce cans tomato puree
2 cups beef stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

Tomato Basil Soup

In a heavy pot over medium heat melt the butter until it foams.  Add the onion and celery and cook until tender, about five minutes.  Add the oregano and garlic.  Cook until fragrant, about thirty seconds.

Tomato Basil Soup

Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until it is completely absorbed and no clumps remain.  Add the sugar, bay leaf and tomatoes and stir to combine.  Slowly add the beef stock and stir well.   Season with salt and pepper.  Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for thirty to forty minutes.

Tomato Basil Soup

Remove the pot from the heat and add the basil.  Remove the bay leaf and discard.

Tomato Basil Soup

Working in batches, blend the soup until very smooth.  Stir in the cream and return to the pot over low heat to gently warm.

Tomato Basil Soup

Serve with fresh basil.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to “Creamy Tomato Basil Soup”

1. Jessie says:

looks comforting!

2. s. stockwell says:

Tomato Basil Soup is hot right now we have noticed it on menus around town. You have a tasty version here. Thanks, s

3. Miranda Hagan says:

THis takes me back to when I was little. My mom made homemade tomato soup all of the time.
    This looks wonderful.
    I adore your site.

4. This looks so good! Strangely enough I have never made tomato soup before. Hubby has been bugging me to make some for him – he loves the tomato pepper jack soup at a local restaurant. I think I will use yours as the starting point.

5. Hope you feel better soon so you can get some grilled cheese action with that soup. Yummy!

One of my favorites. A true classic! I hope you are feeling better!

7. what a beautiful soup! I hope you’re feeling ok! I can’t imagine being on soft foods for more than a day. :(

8. Laura says:

This looks yummy. I love tomato soup. I hope you feel better.

9. jenn says:

Mmmm…I love tomato soup. I definitely prefer creamy over the condensed kind. I love the addition of basil.

I hope you’re feeling better.

10. Looks like one of the delish soups you talked about. What a treat, even when you’re not feeling so great.

11. Paula says:

I made tomato soup after my crown was put on. It was the perfect comfort food! Yours looks really tasty!

12. The combinaison of my two favourite ingredients! That was actually my lunch today, in the cold version!

13. So. Unbelievably. Beautiful.
    Makes me want to stare at it for a while before eating.

14. Donna says:

Id love a bowl of this deliciousness with grilled cheese!

15. Hairball says:

Hope you are feeling better!

16. Debi says:

I lived on grilled cheese and tomato soup while in college…only the soup I was eating was the .29 canned version, not even close to your recipe here… I would have been spoiled!
    Hope you are feeling better.

17. Elin says:

Congrats…today’s top 9. This is a beautiful fragrant tomato soup. Great one!

18. Bianca says:

I just made this soup for my boyfriend and parents and it was sooo delicious! I was craving the tomato basil soup from Not Your Average Joe’s and this was a great fix. Thanks so much for the recipe :)

1. Twitted by bakingblog - July 1, 2009

[…] This post was Twitted by bakingblog […]

2. Spicy Red Bean Soup | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - July 15, 2009

[…] contemplating easy, filling soups that would put some roses back in my cheeks (to find out why see here) when I found this recipe by Eneril Lagasse on Food Networks website.  I want to say that I miss […]