Fresh Peach Cobbler

When the weather turns from warm to hot, and the scents of grilling fill the air, my thoughts turn to cobbler.

Peach Cobbler

I would like to take moment to clear up a misconception about cobbler.  It is not just fruit with a layer of pastry crust on top.  That is NOT a cobbler.  That is pie.  No my friends, cobbler is topped with a fluffy biscuit topping which gives the dessert the look of a cobbled road.  The topping is buttery, crisp on the outside and fluffy inside.

Peach Cobbler

At this time of year, and at most times of the year, my filling of choice is peaches.   Fresh peaches are perfect for cobblers.  They hold up well to cooking, they provide a contrast in texture to the fluffy biscuits, and they have enough juice to make the cobbler filling luscious.

You could use other fruits if you like, but you may need to adjust the thickener depending on the kind of fruit you choose.

Peach Cobbler

Top this with some vanilla ice cream and dive in!

Fresh Peach Cobbler   Serves 4

Peach Filling:
4 large peaches, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon mace or nutmeg

Biscuit topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1  stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup buttermilk

Heat the oven to 400F and prepare a 1.5 quart round or oval dish with non-stick spray.

Peach CobblerPeach Cobbler

In a medium bowl combine the peaches, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and mace.  Make sure all the fruit is coated.   Pour into the prepared dish.

Peach Cobbler Peach Cobbler Peach Cobbler Peach Cobbler

Using the same bowl you mixed the fruit in, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon.  Add the cold butter and, using your fingers, rub it in until it is the size of peas.  Pour the buttermilk and vanilla in and, using a spatula, stir until it is just combined.  Do not over-mix.

Peach Cobbler Peach Cobbler

Using a disher, or two spoons, scoop the dough into the fruit.  Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling thickly around the edges.  Allow the cobbler to stand at least thirty minutes before serving.

Peach Cobbler

Enjoy warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Peach Cobbler

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Fresh Peach Cobbler”

1. Beautiful cobbler! Your biscuit topping looks perfect, and I’ve been craving peach cobbler.

2. Joe Ann Strachan says:

Ooh, this looks great!! I’m going to try this today. I will be going back to work Sunday, so i better cook it today. Thanks so much!! Joe Ann

3. Butterfly says:

Looks yummy!!!

4. maria says:

Peaches scream summer to me. This is the perfect dessert for a summer day!

5. Danica says:

YUM – LOVE the doughy balls of goodness and peaches are fantastic right now!

6. I just have one important question. Where’s my bowl? Did you forget me?! I LOVE peaches too! haa haaa!!!! :D

7. It looks like you used white peaches, no? Would you make any adjustments for yellow? Is there a sugar difference? Just curious.

BTW – Mmmmm.

Donna

Donna – The sugar depends on the sweetness of the peaches really. I have found, at least this season, that white and yellow are REALLY sweet. If the peaches are tart, adjust the sugar. :)

9. jenn says:

Well I know what I want for dessert today. Heck, does it even need to be dessert? Why not the main dish? Yeah, that’s it. I’ll have this as the main dish. Too late to make it for lunch, so dinner it is.

10. So homey, so good. A nice peach cobbler can get anyone ready for the weekend!

Oh, peach cobbler. How I love you. You are my most favorite dessert in the whole, wide world! If you happen to come across a GF biscuit-like recipe, let me know. This looks yummy.

12. Evelyn Scott says:

My two favorites peaches and biscuits, this looks like a to die for dessert !! can’t wait to try it !!

13. Kristen says:

I am drooling over this! thanks for sharing!

14. Donna says:

You outdo yourself everytime.

15. Like your peaches! Love summer fruits!

16. Stacy says:

OMG this looks amazing!!! I can’t wait to try it just as is and also with apples! YUMMY!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

17. What a beautiful cobbler! In my opinion, there is nothing better than warm cobbler with some vanilla ice cream… I make cobblers and crisps all the time.

18. Jessie says:

yummy looking cobbler! your topping has me drooling, the topping is my favorite part :)

19. Sunshine Mom says:

I’m collecting peach recipes and this looks fantastic! We are headed to GA to pick up our yearly peaches for canning, but I know I’ll have more than I want to can. :) I can’t wait to try this!

20. Yasemin says:

I made this yesterday and it was a big hit at a friend’s BBQ. The biscuit was golden and crisp on top, and creamy on the inside. I had to triple the recipe for 20+ people and use a huge fluted tin. Next time(very soon I think)I’ll try portion-sized ramekins with smaller “cobbles”. Thanks for the recipe.

21. Rachel says:

This recipe was a huge hit with co-workers. I’m about to take it to a friends house as my contribution to dinner. I can’t wait! they’re going to LOVE me! :)

thanks!