Jalapeno Bacon Cheddar Cheese Burgers

Mon, Jul 20, 2009

BBQ, Cooking, Featured Articles, Recipes

A well grilled burger is a thing of beauty.  Add jalapenos, sharp cheddar cheese and thick cut bacon and it is the stuff of dreams.

Bacon and Cheese Jalapeno Onion Burger

I have a few requirements for a good burger. It must be made with fairly lean  meat (around 90%), it must have salt and pepper, and it must remain moist after grilling, even if cooked to well-done.  The first two requirements are fairly straight forward, but the last can be tricky.  My trick to moist burgers is adding chopped onion to the meat.  It is a really easy step that adds not only moisture but a lot of flavor.

Bacon and Cheese Jalapeno Onion Burger

If we are adding onions, we may as well add some finely diced jalapeno as well, because onion and beef play so nicely with spicy peppers!  I like to add the jalapenos to the patty, rather than putting slices on the cooked patty, because I like the subtle flavor and spicy kick the pepper adds in the meat.  By letting the meat chill for 30 minutes before grilling gives the peppers a chance to flavor the whole burger.  Good stuff!

Jalapeno Bacon Cheddar Cheese Burgers   Yield 4

1 pound ground beef – 90% lean preferred
1 jalapeno, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 egg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon meat tenderizer (optional)
4 hamburger buns, grilled till golden brown
8 slices bacon, cooked crisp
4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Heat your grill and spray the grate with non-stick spray.

Bacon and Cheese Jalapeno Onion Burger Bacon and Cheese Jalapeno Onion Burger Bacon and Cheese Jalapeno Onion Burger Bacon and Cheese Jalapeno Onion Burger

Mix the jalapenos, onions, salt, and pepper in a bowl.  Add in the ground meat and the egg and mix until the onions and jalapenos are evenly distributed.  Form into four even patties and chill for 30 minutes.

Bacon and Cheese Jalapeno Onion Burger

Grill to your preference.

Bacon and Cheese Jalapeno Onion Burger

Serve with cheese, bacon, and condiments of your choice.

Bacon and Cheese Jalapeno Onion Burger

Tags: , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Jalapeno Bacon Cheddar Cheese Burgers”

MMMMmmm….I love a good burger. And this looks VERY good.

2. s. stockwell says:

This just reminds us how evil you are! We will do this one and think of you. Best, s

3. Craving for burger now, well done! :-)

4. Cab Cooks says:

That burger looks fantastic!

5. Jessie says:

that is a badass looking burger! Makes me crave for a great tasting burger

6. Lauren says:

I’ll need to try making burgers again, the last time I did it was a disaster, but the temptation of adding Jalapeno is very strong!

7. jenn says:

You had me a bacon!!! A cheeseburger sounds really good right about now. Yum!!!! Love the addition of the jalapenos .

8. I’ve never had a jalapeno burger, but this sounds fabulous. And bacon and cheddar too? You totally won me over :) Can’t wait to make it!

9. Chef E says:

I am all for burgers like this…love the hot bite of a jalapeno since I am a true Texas at heart!

10. Please save 2 for us!

11. Tim says:

Just dropped by from Tastespotting to congratulate you on one bloody good looking burger!

12. Having spent the past several days in a country where people aren’t big on meat, a thick juicy burger like this would be so good right now.

13. Paula says:

That’s one fine looking burger! There’s nothing better than a good burger!

14. You had me at jalapeno!

These look delicious, and I know my hubby would love them. I have a jalapeno plant in my garden that has about 20 peppers on it ready to pick in the next week or so. I think these are a perfect way to put them to use!

15. Donna says:

Awesome burger. My hubby would LOVE this!

16. Debi says:

It’s not often I eat a burger, but adding bacon and jalapeno sure is tempting.

17. Christine says:

Can I have mine well done please, (wipes drool from the screen)?

18. Diane says:

I made the burgers tonight – delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

19. Amanda says:

Evil Shenanigans, you are truly evil. Society stomachs are rumbling and mouths are watering for your creation. We love a spicy, juicy cheeseburger – delicious recipe.

Amanda
    -The Cheese & Burger Society

20. Kevin says:

That is one tasty sounding burger!

21. zahid bhutto says:

i like you recipe very much

22. Meghan Fitz says:

This looks awesome – who doesn’t love a cheesy, spicy burger. My favorite! I also love to use jack cheese on burgers. This particular recipe would probably get dunked in some BBQ sauce at my house :)

The onions in the patty is a great trick for keeping a burger moist without having to use meat that is too fatty.

23. magickid says:

The writer of this recipe kind of loses some credibility for saying to make a good burger you need to use lean beef, around 90%. That is absolutely false and actually the opposite is true, you want beef with some fat as that is what adds juiciness to the burger. The ideal ratio is 80% lean/20% fat.

Magickid – I think the fat percentage is a matter of personal choice. I like a good, beefy burger. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

25. sophomorechef says:

im in high school and i jus made it. it was fantastic. absolutely marvellous. thankx for the brilliant idea. my eyes are still watery lol.

26. Sarah E. says:

These were absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

1. Sarah Et Cetera » Free for all Friday, 30 - July 24, 2009

[...] Jalapeno bacon cheddar cheeseburgers (remember–these may only be eaten on Tuesdays) [...]

2. Saturday Surfing : Baking Delights - Baking Tips and Recipes - July 25, 2009