Slow-cooked Beef Roast

I love a good old-fashioned roast beef dinner, but I really do not have the time to make it during the week.

Slow-cooked Roast Beef

Well, I didn’t until now.

Slow-cooked Roast Beef

A few weeks ago I had a serious craving for some roast beef, the tender, fall-apart kind my grandmother used to make when we would go to her house for a visit.  She would slowly cook hers on the stove for hours.  I, sadly, work all day and knew the only way I would get what I wanted was to break out the old slow-cooker!

Slow-cooked Roast Beef

You want to give this roast a good sear before slow cooking it.  Yes, you could skip this step but why would you?  Not only does it give the finished roast a lovely color, it adds a lot of flavor.  It also makes the liquid you add to the slow-cooker that much more flavorful.  Flavorful liquid means gravy with loads of beef flavor.  That can’t be bad!

This recipe is adapted from one found at Yum Sugar and is my entry for this week’s Thoughtless Thursday!

Enjoy this with mashed potatoes, gravy, and crusty bread with butter.  It just screams comfort!

Slow-cooked Roast Beef      Serves 8 to 12

3 allspice berries, or 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cinnamon stick
2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup dry sherry

Slow-cooked Roast Beef

In the liner of your slow-cooker place the carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, clove, allspice, and cinnamon.

Slow-cooked Roast Beef

Season the meat with the kosher salt and pepper.

Slow-cooked Roast Beef

In a large pan, over medium high heat, add the vegetable oil.  When it shimmers and smokes slightly add the seasoned roast.  Allow the roast to brown on all sides, about 3-6 minutes per side or until the meat develops a dark crust.

Slow-cooked Roast BeefSlow-cooked Roast Beef

Once browned well, place the roast in the slow cooker.  Deglaze the pan with the beef broth, then add the tomato paste and mix well.  Bring to a simmer then pour over the roast.  Add the sherry then cover and cook for 8 to 10 hours on low.

Slow-cooked Roast BeefSlow-cooked Roast Beef

Allow the roast to rest for 10 minutes before serving.

If you like you can strain the juices from the pot to make gravy.  Simmer them down while the meat rests, then thicken with a little cornstarch slurry, or make a roux in a separate pan and add the liquid.

Slow-cooked Roast Beef

Tags: , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Slow-cooked Beef Roast”

1. Reminds me the French recipe for Boeuf Bourguignon,looks delicious!

2. Paula says:

Looks and sounds fantastic. I love slow cooker recipes. I’ll be making this one soon!!

3. s. stockwell says:

Oh Evil, you are so evil!! just as we are trying to minimize the meat? This is such a wonderful classic and the recipe is perfect. best, s

4. That looks amazing! My husband loves beef. He would kill for that!

5. Laura says:

That looks delicious, even for a vegetarian. My husband and boys are not vegetarians so they would love it. Thanks for sharing.

Only you could make roast look this delectable in July, when the weatherman keeps telling us about 100-degree days! But this is a great solution, as the slow cooker won’t heat up the house!

7. ruth says:

Your
    evilness has reached new heights! How could you possibly share this with us and not REALLY share! I demand some! Fancy a holiday break in the North of England? Slow cooker included lol

8. jenn says:

Oh I wish you had cooked the lunch on the set I was working on yesterday. They had a beef thing, but it was a bit on the bland side. I’d trade that for this any day.

9. Debi says:

Usually hard to think about stick-to your-ribs kind of food right now in the middle of summer, but with unseasonably cooler temps here, your roast is looking pretty darn good!

10. I really need to stop reading blog posts in the morning before lunch! It is only 10am and I am now hungry for roast beef! This sounds so wonderful… I imagine the smell was amazing as it was slow cooking, too!

11. Jessie says:

that beef roast looks so tender and juicy I can just smell it from here

12. Saw you pop up on Foodgawker and Tastespotting with a great picture of this. Mmmmm, beef.

13. JehanP says:

wow..this looks very tasty!!

14. Linsey says:

Looks amazingly good!!!

15. Danica says:

YUM! I LOVE slow cooker recipes and need to try this one out. I know The Husband would LOVE it! Thanks for posting.

16. Michelle says:

Mmmm. Looks just perfect!

17. Sean says:

This looks fantastic! I can’t wait to try it!

18. Deborah Dowd says:

This recipe just screams comfort food,and I love things that you can pop in the crockpot before you leave for work!

19. Judy Haisley says:

This has been in my slow cooker for 4 hours – can’t wait for dinner!

1. Twitted by bakingblog - July 8, 2009

[…] This post was Twitted by bakingblog […]

2. Thoughtless Thursdays: Sausage and Lentil Minestrone « Pots and Plots - July 9, 2009

[…] of Evil Shenanigans is hooking us up this week with a fabulous, fall apart in your mouth, grandma style pot roast.  You cannot beat pot roast.  I know this was always the Company Dinner when I was growing up.  […]

3. Fall Apart Pot Roast with Root Vegetables | good or bad, it's an adventure! - April 7, 2011

[…] recipes from Evil Shenanigans and Elizabeth’s […]