Strawberry Jam Tarts

Last October I had the opportunity to go to England and Ireland and the trip changed my life.

Strawberry Jam Tart

Overall, I must admit, the food was pretty bleak.  I was so busy preparing for my friend’s wedding (in which I was not only the Matron of Honor but I was the cake designer) that I ate a lot of quick meals and pub food.  However, one lovely afternoon I had a traditional tea, and with that tea came some buttery, slightly sweet,  jam tarts.

Strawberry Jam Tart

Those little jam tarts, and Irish Soda Bread (recipe to come in the weeks ahead), were the two things I came back craving.  So, I set about making a serviceable jam tart.  What I ended up with is better than what I remember.  Using a modified version of the dough from my Almond and Chocolate Filled Butter Cookies I gave them a whirl.

Strawberry Jam Tart

Goodness, are they good!

Strawberry Jam Tarts    Yield 30

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup salted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 cup strawberry jam, seedless
Powdered sugar for dusting

Heat your oven to 350F and have ready an ungreased mini-muffin or mini-tart pan.

Strawberry Jam Tart Strawberry Jam Tart

In the bowl of a food processor combine the flour, sugar, milk, vanilla, and butter.  Pulse until the mixture forms a ball.

Strawberry Jam Tart Strawberry Jam Tart

Turn the dough out into a floured board and form into a log.  Divide the log in half and divide each half into 15 pieces.

Strawberry Jam Tart Strawberry Jam Tart Strawberry Jam Tart Strawberry Jam Tart

Place a ball of dough in the cup of a mini-muffin pan and, using a dough tamper or your fingers, press down until the dough reaches the top if the cup.

Strawberry Jam Tart Strawberry Jam TartStrawberry Jam Tart

Spoon about one tablespoon of jam into each tart shell, making sure the tart shells are not too full.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the tarts are golden brown and the jam is bubbling.  Cool in the pan for 30 minutes before removing to a rack to cool the rest of the way.

Strawberry Jam Tart

Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

Strawberry Jam Tart

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Strawberry Jam Tarts”

1. s. stockwell says:

Oh my we love the look of these…just delish! another good post from you! thanks, s

2. The perfect tarts for an Afternoon Tea in London! Well done!

3. These tarts loook so nice and rich… buttery! I like them a lot! Thanks!

4. Donna says:

These look gorgeous!! They look so delicious. Love the strawberry jam/butter base combo! Such pretty pictures.

These look amazing. Wondering if I could figure out a gluten-free version. I might be able to get somewhere with this…They look so sinful, I just might have to try!

6. Ramya Kiran says:

That looks delectable! yum yum..

I’ve been to London twice and had fun both times. The tarts look lovely!

8. Absolutely scrumptious! My jowls are watering for just a bite.

9. Debi says:

Kelly,
    These are very similar to the jam thumbprint cookies we make at Christmas (our dough has some sour cream in it). Its a bit rainy up here on the lake today and a baking activity for all of the kids might be a good idea…maybe we will give this one a try.

10. ValleyWriter says:

These look so good – I’d like a couple for my afternoon snack. Of course, with 2 sticks of butter, how could they not be good, right?!? :-D

11. ruth says:

So nice to see this recipe! Glad you didnt leave too disappointed with the food :)

Ruth – I know England has some excellent food … I just did not get to eat any of it because I was always on the go! I had lots of quick food … even McDonalds! :)

13. That’s it. I am buying that dough tamper!

These little tarts are absolutely beautiful. Looking at these makes me want to throw a tea party.

14. Barbara says:

These look great! I’m going to save the recipe and try them out in the near future. Might fill some of them with my homemade lemon curd, although I’m not sure that the curd would do terribly well during baking. Only one way to find out!

15. those look simple divine! I don’t know what it is, but strawberyry jam makes me weak in the knees.

16. bergamot says:

This is lovely. Perfect for a rainy afternoon. Will try these.

17. jenn says:

These would be perfect for breakfast. I’ll take a doze with a hot cup of joe. ;-)

18. Paris Pastry says:

It looks so delightful!

19. Marly says:

wow! Just got back from London and I have never had these :( they do look amazing though and make me want to go back..or at least make them myself!

20. jaden says:

now that’s TOO CUTE!!!!

Jaden – I’m flattered. Thank you!

22. Danica says:

They look so simple to make and I bet the flavor is incredible.

23. ali says:

i just made these and they failed miserably. i used preserves instead of jam. is there a difference in the two? it never set, it was totally liquid, and the crust was too crumbly to take out of the pan. is this because i used a hand mixer instead of a food processor for the dough?

Ali – I’m so sorry you did not have success with these cookies! To address your questions: Yes, the food processor is pretty important for making the dough. If you did not have a food processor I would recomment mixing by hand, and kneading the dough until the butter was completly blended. The dough is similar to a pie crust, except for completly blending the butter in. The dough should be like a shortbread cookie in texture, stable yet tender when bitten. Did they fall apart before eating? As for the filling, was the preserves filling liquid after they completly cooled? If so, then I would say that yes, there was a big difference between what you used and what I used. I use jam for all sorts of cookies and after cooling completly they are not liquid at all.

25. ali says:

it’s funny, actually, i decided today that i wanted to use my food processor (never have), so i specifically picked a recipe on my to-do list that utilized one.

i couldn’t get the thing to turn on for the life of me! but by the time i figured that out, i had my heart set on making these cookies, so i went ahead with it anyway. i should have seen it coming :)

the tarts were actually very tasty, tho i had to spoon them out of the tins (because they fell apart otherwise), they were just the consistency i thought they should be

anyway the moral of the story is, i’m gonna try these again when i get the food processor figured out! they just look too good to give up :)

26. danielle says:

I have been looking for a recipe like this forever! They look amazing!
    Can’t wait to try them!

Thanks!

27. little angel says:

delicious recipe..but i would like to know how long we can keep this tarts?

28. Lala Rose says:

Clever! i will always be thankful for the mini-muffin tin tip. However, where does one get a ‘dough tamper’?

29. Sheena S. says:

Wow, the most perfect-looking tarts ever. I need to get one of those tampers if it would make my tarts look like that!

30. Kristin says:

I can never quite get over just how much butter it takes to make a really “short” crust!

31. Megs says:

This is perfect, I needed a snack to take to a Christmas get together coming up. Thanks for sharing! ^-^

32. Megs says:

Just got a dough tamper and mini muffin tins as presents. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

33. Mangue says:

Do we have to use a mini tart pan, or is a plain old cookie sheet okay? I just don’t want it to affect the shape. Will is collapse on itself on a cookie sheet?

34. Lamia says:

These jam tarts look unbelievably delicious!! I can’t wait to make those tarts later thus day! By the way, you are very talented! :)

35. Laura says:

My 5 y/o son is obcessed with this new show on NickJr called Mike the Knight. Apparently, they featured a “jammed heart” (which I later found out was a Jam Tart, lol)…and he’s been begging all day. After HOURS of searching, we came across your recipe here and he screamed, “Mom, wait…THAT’S IT! I WANT THAT ONE!!” Thank you so much for this post. Needless to say, we’ll be making these first thing in the morning!!

36. Scott Jones says:

Just popped em in the oven. I used the handle of an ice cream scoop dipped in flour for a dough press. It worked great.
    I filled half the cups with grape jam and half with cherry jam. I’ll let you know how they come out.

Scott

37. Lolly says:

These are delicious! I make them all the time now, I lived in England for 6 yrs and had missed tarts so much. Bless your heart for this recipe. I actually use raspberry jam with seeds and it works wonderfully, but I imagine any preserves work. Excellent

38. Katelynn says:

I made these with raspberry jam, Huge hit! :D

1. Strawberry Jam Tarts | Economic Wedding Info Blog - July 6, 2009

[...] The rest is here:  Strawberry Jam Tarts [...]

2. Bourbon Caramel Apple Pie Cookies | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - October 13, 2009

[...] a dough tamper or your fingers, press down until the dough reaches the top if the cup.  (See Strawberry Jam Tarts for detailed pictures of this [...]

3. » Strawberry Jam Mini-Tarts Minnesota Locavore - April 7, 2011

[...] in yogurt, spread on a fresh dinner roll, or in this case, the occasional cookie. Thanks to Evil Shenanigans where this recipe is adapted [...]

4. Project Tea Party « Pickle Me This: Online Home of Kerry Clare | Tea Party Courier - May 1, 2011

[...] and patience. He did a bang-up job, and the cake was delicious (then devoured). We also served these strawberry jam tarts, which were incredible (and easy). And scones shaped like teapots, which is the best thing I have [...]