Cheddar and Gruyère Gougères

When I was in my Laminated Dough class in culinary school we made gougères.  I have never been the same since.

Cheddar and Gruyère Gougeres

After reading what gougères were I was certain they would be awful.  I mean, a gougère is nothing more than pâte à choux  with cheese mixed in, but I always associated pâte à choux with cream puffs.  With trepidation I mixed in the cheese, piped them out into little mounds, and slid them into the oven.   One taste and I was hooked.  The whole of the class was.  There was not one left to take home.

Cheddar and Gruyère Gougeres

When I plan for holiday meals I make gougères as an appetizer.  They are the first thing to go.  At cocktail parties, which I do not have many of, I stuff the gougères with crab salad.  Lord are they good, and they look like they took so much effort.  Don’t tell my guests they are so easy.

Cheddar and Gruyère Gougeres

My prefered method of eating these cheese puffs is warm out of the oven.  Is there anything better?

Cheddar and Gruyère Gougeres

Cheddar and Gruyère Gougères   Yield 25 to 30

1/2 cup milk (2% or higher)
4 tablespoons salted butter, cubed
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs
1/3 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/3 cup finely shredded gruyère cheese

Heat the oven to 375 F and line a sheet pan with parchment.

Cheddar and Gruyère Gougeres

In a medium sauce pan combine the milk, butter, salt, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper.  Heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil.

Cheddar and Gruyère Gougeres

Add in the flour all at once.  Reduce the heat to low and stir constantly until the dough forms a ball and comes away from the sides of the pan.

Cheddar and Gruyère Gougeres  Cheddar and Gruyère Gougeres

Place the dough in the bowl of a stand mixer and allow to cool to 140 F, about 5 minutes.   Add the eggs one at a time, making sure the first is completely mixed before adding the next.  (The mixture will appear to break but after beating it will smooth out)

Cheddar and Gruyère GougeresCheddar and Gruyère Gougeres Cheddar and Gruyère Gougeres

Stir in the cheese then load the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large round tip.  If you do not have a piping bag you can spoon out the mixture.  Pipe, or scoop, onto the prepared parchment about once inch apart.

Cheddar and Gruyère Gougeres Cheddar and Gruyère Gougeres

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the pan after 15 minutes to make sure they brown evenly.

Cheddar and Gruyère Gougeres

Enjoy warm, or cool and fill as desired.

Cheddar and Gruyère Gougeres

Tags: , , ,

32 Responses to “Cheddar and Gruyère Gougères”

1. Beautiful! So funny because I’ve cooked Gougères a few days ago and I’m about to post the recipe. They look delicious, very well done because that isn’t an easy recipe if you don’t have the right tools.

Mathilde – Thank you! You know what they say about great minds! :) I can’t wait to see your post.

3. Can’t wait to try this, and the variation possibilities are endless. Thanks!

4. Miranda says:

This looks fantastic. I watched Food Network and they were making Gougeres.

They looked so amazing. Thank you for sharing.

5. Redheadev says:

These look so good, can’t wait to try the recipe Thanx !!

6. These look gorgeous! Do you think they would turn out with some chopped herbs mixed in?

7. jenn says:

Cheese puffs. I love it! I can definitely snack on these all day.

8. Nancy says:

The gougeres look fabulous! Great pics. I will have to try making these soon.

What a great little snack! Wish I had some now!

Jen – Fresh herbs would be a wonderful addition. I would chop them fine, and not add too many. The flavor is delicate and you could easily overpower the cheese.

11. Oh these look heavenly! I have been wanting to make gougeres for ages, but have never gotten around to it. I think you have pushed me over the edge!

12. Your morsels are looking brilliant! I can’t wait to make them!

13. A savory cream puff if you will…just packed with cheese. It satisfies in so many ways.

14. Jessie says:

wow that looks delectable! I would love to serve this at a dinner party

15. s. stockwell says:

Beautiful post! lovely step by step and a delicious idea…we will make these for some of our winemaker tasting parties where we need tons of hors d’oeuvres..best, s

16. You know, I’ve always wanted to try these. I think you’ve just given me the little push I needed! :)

17. Liz C. says:

These look so amazingingly delicioso! Amateur that I am, I know I must try to make these at least once before I die…

18. Adrienne says:

they’re so cute! i made these for the first time a couple months ago and was surprised at how easy they were. they certainly present as more complicated!

19. Karine says:

They look great! I would love to have one!

20. Love gougeres! They’re great alone and also a perfect foil for all kinds of savory fillings. Your gougeres look so perfect, Kelly.

21. Diana says:

Delicious looking. I love gruyere too.

22. These look delish!! I am going to try these with a couple changes! Thank you for sharing!!

23. Roda says:

Hi
    My family love the eclairs I make from time to time. I agree with you…the dough is tough and if you don’t have a knack for it…disastrous. Must definitely try out the savoury ones.

24. Vikki says:

My mother made savory appetizer puffs as well as sweet cream puffs when I was growing up, but she never used cheese. Having watched her technique as a child, making these is simple! The key is cooking the dough long enough to really pull clean of the pan and in beating in ONE egg at a time, till completely incorporated.

I added minced sage to the melted butter and let the flavor extract for a couple minutes before adding the liquid. I used water to make them crisper. Milk makes them softer.

Delicious!

25. Ange says:

I made these today. I hate you. Too easy to be so delicious…!

26. April says:

I made these today and the dough didn’t look quite right, too runny. They turned out as flat little cheesy disks. The flavor was great but we decided to call my first attempt Cheese Cookies. I think I did not let the mixture cook down enough.

They were easy and tasty though so I will try them again and see if longer cooking time on the stove will help.

27. wendyb964 says:

These will be part of lunch today! Funny how each of us perceives what is difficult. I’m just an amateur who loves to cook. Cream puffs were one of the first things I learned to bake as a child. Each Christmas I make a “tree” of cream puffs. I’ve never gotten over my fear of yeast, however, lol. Thanks for the inspiration. YUM!

28. Tickled Red says:

Bread and cheese in teeny weeny little bites. I am in for it now. I know what I will be doing this weekend. I my have to put some other projects on hold. I am off to find more of your yummy recipes to drool over.

29. I was pleasantly surprised by these at school as well! Pate a chou is so versatile. We also mixed it with mashed potatoes for the best little fried croquettes ever.

30. anna says:

Can you please sdd the crab salad filling recipe ( I have not found a good one) , sounds and looks delious!

1. Blogsurfing Saturday : Baking Delights - Baking Tips and Recipes - August 8, 2009

[...] Cheddar and Gruyere Gougeres –   Serve with your favorite  salad and have ice cream for dessert [...]

2. Onion and Morel Soup with Cheddar Gougeres | Leslie Uhl - March 18, 2013

[...] up some other recipes for Cheddar Gougeres, and the tastiest-sounding one I found was over at Evil Shenanigans. She uses milk instead of water, and a couple of other spicy additions, as well. Check it [...]