Chocolate Angel Food Cake

This recipe is something of a triumph for me.

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

I have long suffered with an inability to make a light and tender angel food cake.  The cakes always, without fail, fall in the oven or just after removal from the oven.  It drove me mad!

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Now I am confident those days are behind me with this recipe!  It is adapted from a recipe on Baking Bites which sounds lovely as is, but I tinkered, and added chocolate … which can’t be all bad!

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Chocolate Angel Food Cake   Serves 10

1 1/2 cups egg whites at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
3/4 cup cake flour, sifted with
1/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Heat your oven to 325 F and wash and dry a 9″ tube pan, making sure it is completely clean.

Chocolate Angel Food Cake Chocolate Angel Food Cake  Chocolate Angel Food Cake

With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the egg whites on medium speed until they begin to forth.  Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, the salt and the cream of tartar.  Increase the speed to high and beat until soft peaks form.  Add the vanilla and blend well.

Chocolate Angel Food Cake Chocolate Angel Food Cake  Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Sift the dry ingredients, making sure they are well blended.  Fold the dry ingredients into the whipped egg whites in four additions, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl well while folding.

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Pour into your tube pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes.

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Cool inverted on a cooling rack for at least two hours, or overnight.

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Unmold, using a thin knife around the edges of the pan to help it release, slice, and serve.

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

I like mine with strawberries and fresh whipped cream!

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Tags: , , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Chocolate Angel Food Cake”

1. Sarah says:

I am SO SO happy it turned out for you!! Congrats.

2. Christine says:

Looks lovely and light.

Chris

3. I love chocolate angelfood cake!! This looks great – especially with the strawberries!

4. katie says:

Congratulations! I have yet to master angel food cake. my last attempt was a complete flop. Your cake looks fantastic!

5. Chris says:

Looks great even without the berries.

6. jenn says:

Chocolate, yes. I’m glad this one turn out for you. Looks really delicious with the strawberries and whipped cream. I didn’t have dessert at lunch. Mind shipping over a slice?

7. Looks like you figured this recipe out–texture looks just about perfect in the photos.
    The berries are a nice addition.

8. Olive says:

wow, a light chocolate cake, my sister-in-law would love it if I make this for her. thanks for the recipe

9. Your cake looks amazing! This makes me want to attempt angel food cake again. I am going to save this recipe and give it a try!

I LOVE angel food cake. Never made a chocolate one for some reason…looks delicious!

11. I have a brother-in-law who has a chocolate angel food cake every year for his birthday. I don’t know if my sister just added chocolate to a mix or made it from scratch.

12. light, fluffy AND chocolaty – count me in!

13. Danielle says:

I am so going to have to try this recipe out!

14. Jessie says:

ohhh I would love to have a slice!

15. Man, chocolate anything and I’m slap happy! :D I want cake now!

16. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Mmmmmm angel food cake…delicious!

17. Fudge Addict says:

Fluffy, light, chocolate…what not to like, eh! Great recipe. Thank you.

1. Twitted by foodiePrints - August 7, 2009

[...] This post was Twitted by foodiePrints [...]

2. Chocolaty Weekend Links : Chocolate Bytes - All About Chocolate - Delicious Chocolate Recipes - August 9, 2009

[...] Chocolate Angel Food Cake at Evil [...]

3. » The Daily Eat: Chocolate Bread & Butter Pudding + Chocolate Roundup #1. - September 8, 2010

[...] 1. Baby Chocolate Lamingtons 2. Baked Spicy Brownies 3. Brownie Pizza4. Brownie Pudding 5. Chocolate Angel Food Cake6. Chocolate Bread Pudding 7. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Treats8. Chocolate Sorbet 9. Chocolate [...]

4. Chocolate Angel Food Cake, Recipe « Five Spoons - January 27, 2012