Apple Bacon Fritters with Maple Bourbon Glaze

I love doughnuts.  There is something wonderfully fun about fried dough smothered in a sweet glaze.  Doughnuts are perfect for parties, meetings, brunches, and breakfasts with a hot cup of coffee.

Apple Bacon Fritters

If you have never had a homemade doughnut you really must try one.  They are pretty easy to make, you can even make the dough the night before and then cut and proof the dough the next morning to save time, and freshly glazed they are the stuff of family legends.

Apple Bacon Fritters

I decided to take my favorite doughnut, the apple fritter, and combine it with my other deep and abiding love.  Bacon.   The result is a sweet apple doughnut with nuggets of crunchy bacon scattered throughout.  You could add more bacon if you wanted, but I wanted the bacon to be a random surprise to tease the taste buds.  Glazed with maple and bourbon, this is what I consider the perfect doughnut.

Apple Bacon Fritters    Yield 1 dozen

Maple Bourbon Glaze   Enough to glaze 12 fritters or doughnuts

1/4 teaspoon gelatin
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons bourbon
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 pound powdered sugar

In the bowl of a mixer combine the yeast and the water.  Allow to sit for ten minutes.

Apple Bacon Fritters

While the yeast activates mix the apples, bacon, two tablespoons of sugar, and cinnamon.  Set aside.

In the same bowl as the yeast mixture mix the shortening, one ounce of sugar, salt, mace or nutmeg, dry milk, egg, and bread flour.  Mix with the dough hook on low speed for three minutes.  Check the hydration of the dough by touching it – if it is sticky but does not stick it is ready.  Mix on medium speed for six minutes.

Apple Bacon Fritters

Add the apples mixture to the bowl and mix on low speed for three minutes, until the apples and bacon are well combined.

Apple Bacon Fritters

Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Allow to ferment for two hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.

Apple Bacon FrittersApple Bacon Fritters

Once the dough has fermented turn out onto a well floured board and with the palm of your hand press out the dough into a large rectangle.  Cut the dough into the desired shapes, I find squares work well for me, and cover with plastic for thirty minutes.

While the fritters proof heat at least three inches of oil in a deep pot, allowing for two inches of space at the top of the pan to prevent overflow, to 375 F.

Apple Bacon FrittersApple Bacon Fritters

Once proofed, fry the fritters in the hot oil for one minute per side.  Once fried drain on paper towels while you fry the remaining fritters.

Let the fritters cool slightly while you prepare the glaze.

Apple Bacon Fritters

In a small bowl mix the gelatin with the water.  Allow to bloom for ten minutes.  Once bloomed heat in the microwave for 10 seconds until it is melted.

Apple Bacon Fritters Apple Bacon Fritters

In a large bowl mix the gelatin with the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.

Apple Bacon Fritters

Dip the warm fritters into the glaze and turn to coat.  Let the excess drip off before transferring to a rack to dry.

Apple Bacon Fritters

Enjoy warm, or at room temperature.

Apple Bacon Fritters

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Apple Bacon Fritters with Maple Bourbon Glaze”

1. I’ll take 5 please. :) I think my hubs will LOVE this. Forget about him… I think I’ll love this.

We can’t be friends anymore. You tempt me too much. :) Just kidding. This looks amazing. I mean….amazing.

3. Something both the hubby and I would appreciate, they look amazing :)

4. ValleyWriter says:

Oh MY. I have always wanted to make apple fritters. These look AMAZING!! Can’t wait to try them out!

5. Helllllloooooooo BACON!!!!!!! Please tell me you saved me a few of these. Did you?? I could definitely have gone with these for breakfast rather than the stale cookie I had from yesterday. *drool*

6. Can I order a dozen? I love apple fritters… my mom used to buy them for me at the local farmer’s market, but I have never made my own. I might have to break the “I don’t fry” rule for this one. :)

7. As fall approaches I think of the fresh cinnamon sugar doughnuts that were served at the apple orchard near our house. With a cold glass of cider, they were just about perfect.
    This doughnut is in a league by itself–wow!

8. Cucinista says:

Oh. My. Fried. Dough. Extravaganza. Seriously… this should be illegal. It looks THAT good.

9. Mags says:

Glad I saw these in time to make them over the weekend and before the next round of dieting starts on Monday. Wow, those look fantastic. I arrived here via Jen@my kitchen addiction’s Friday Favorites.

10. alice says:

OMG.. these are friggin awesome!

11. peabody says:

Our local donut shop makes a Bacon Maple Bar…but I love the idea of the apple fritter. Good choice!

12. wenke says:

why do you use gelatin in your glaze? wouldn’t a glaze just with powdered sugar and bourbon/water do the job?

13. Absolutely delicious!

Wenke – the gelatin helps the glaze set on the doughnut more thickly than a plain powdered sugar glaze.

15. Julie says:

This is my first time to ever visit your blog, and truly believe it is evil. In the best possible way!

16. Very interesting recipe and I like the Maple Bourbon twist, very creative

17. Cheryl says:

You’re killing me! OMG, I’m in love!

18. Oh dear! I am doomed! Yay!!!

19. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Apple fritters are one of my favorite foods ever! I bet with bacon it would only make it better:)

20. efrain says:

hmm… i’m trying to make these now, and I don’t understand why there is “1 ounce of sugar” AND “3 tbsp of sugar”. When do I use which?

21. efrain says:

oops i mean 2 tbsp sugar

Efrain – I changed the directions to make things more clear. Sorry about that!!

23. Krissy says:

Oh wow, I can’t wait to try these. These sounds like heaven, and it’s apple season!

24. Katie says:

These look FANTASTIC!

1. Twitted by ActiveFoodie - September 11, 2009

[...] This post was Twitted by ActiveFoodie [...]

2. Friday Favorites – Episode 25 | my kitchen addiction - September 11, 2009

[...] at least, it seems that way here in the Northeast), it’s only appropriate that I mention the Apple Bacon Fritters with Maple Bourbon Glaze from Evil Shenanigans in this week’s favorites. Might have to break the “I don’t fry” rule for [...]

3. Saturday Blogsurfing for September 12 : Baking Delights - Baking Tips and Recipes - September 12, 2009

[...] made apple bacon fritters with bourbon maple glaze. These aren’t the delicate Pennsylvania style fritters that I am used to by the way. These [...]

4. Columbus Foodie » Blog Archive » September 2009 Roundup - January 1, 2010

[...] Pink Lemonade Cupcakes from Cooking for Comfort, Apple Cider Doughnus from Delicious Dishings, Apple Bacon Fritters with Maple Bourbon Glaze and Peach Upside-Down Cake from Evil Shenanigans, Snickerdoodle Blondies from The Fearless Chef, [...]

5. September 2009 Roundup « The Random Item - January 2, 2010

6. Apple Bacon Fritters with Maple Bourbon Glaze » Bacon Bits: - February 20, 2010

[...] Apple Bacon Fritters with Maple Bourbon Glaze [...]