Chocolate Spice Cake With Brown Butter Frosting

Welcome Fall!!

Untitled - 3

It is not exactly cool here, but we have had three days where the temps have stayed cool enough for the air to be crisp, and that puts me in a Fall baking mood!  I decided to break out all the ingredients for a spice cake when a bar of dark chocolate caught my eye.  What, I wondered, would happen if I tried to make a chocolate spice cake?

This is the result!

Chocolate Spice Cake with Brown Butter Frosting

The cake is delicate and moist, and it stays moist for a few days so it is perfect for after school/work snacking.  It also transports well making it good for pot-luck dinners or neighborhood parties.

Chocolate Spice Cake with Brown Butter Frosting

I decided to top this cake with a brown butter frosting.  Not only is the frosting good, the nuttiness of the browned butter adds another level of roundness with the chocolate and spices.

Chocolate Spice Cake with Brown Butter Frosting    Serves 9

1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

For the frosting:

3 tablespoons butter
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1-3 tablespoons cream
Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8″x8″ cake pan with non-stick spray.

Chocolate Spice Cake with Brown Butter Frosting Chocolate Spice Cake with Brown Butter Frosting Chocolate Spice Cake with Brown Butter Frosting

In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until well mixed.  Add the vanilla and the egg and whisk until lighter in color and well mixed.  Stir in the melted chocolate.

Chocolate Spice Cake with Brown Butter Frosting

In another bowl sift the flour, cocoa powder, spices, baking soda, and baking powder.

Alternately add the flour mixture and milk into the butter, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sides of the cake begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.  Cool in the pan for ten minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

While the cake cools prepare the frosting.

In a small pan over medium heat brown the butter until it is nut brown.  Be sure to stir the butter constantly.

Allow the butter to cool to room temperature.

Chocolate Spice Cake with Brown Butter Frosting

Beat the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until combined.  Add the cream, a tablespoon at a time, until you reach your preferred consistency.

Chocolate Spice Cake with Brown Butter Frosting

Frost the cake and serve.

Chocolate Spice Cake with Brown Butter Frosting

Tags: , , , , , ,

30 Responses to “Chocolate Spice Cake With Brown Butter Frosting”

1. Jessie says:

mmm what an awesome chocolatey cake. I’m loving the brown butter frosting, makes me want to reach in and grab myself a slice

2. Oh chocolate cake. how I wish I had a nice big slice to that right now. *drool*

3. Olive says:

hi :)

your cake looks delicious! I have got to try that brown butter frosting..

4. Donna says:

Sounds wonderful!

Wow, this sounds wonderful. I love spice cake, but I also love chocolate. And brown butter frosting? Can you please send me some?

6. Paula says:

Oohh what a great combo! I love brown butter frosting. This cake looks delish:)

7. Theresa says:

This looks and sounds so fantastic, I might have to make it this weekend! I already have all of the ingredients…

8. Yum! Send a slice of that my way. The chocolate cake with fall spices sounds delish!

9. ValleyWriter says:

I’ve never had brown butter frosting, but it sounds (and looks) delicious!

10. Um, hello. YUM! I had to go back and read your words before I commented just now but that’s exactly what I was thinking… the nuttiness of the browned butter has to just complete the spice and chocolate in the cake. Okay. Making this. Period and Amen!

I am usually not a huge cake/frosting fan, but this one I can do:) It looks fantastic!

12. Bob says:

Oh my. That looks amazing. I have to try chocolate spice something.

13. Laura says:

Oh my, I want a piece….

14. Michelle says:

I have the worst luck w/ anything calling for brown butter. I’m always afraid I’m going to cook it too long and end up not cooking it long enough. This sounds good, though, and makes me want to try it again.

15. That looks so good! I am trying not to lick the butter frosting off my computer screen!!! Will keep this in my files to try out… Thank you for sharing :o)

16. Chris says:

I wish that fork was mine so I could take a bite.

17. Kristen says:

I love spice cakes they just scream fall. Definitely going to try this recipe out, curl up with a good book in front of the fire and enjoy :)

18. Miranda says:

This looks like the best chocolate cake. I am saving it, so I could make it for my mother-in-law.

19. Myrtille says:

I just love the scent of those spices when the cake is baking…gorgeous picture!

20. Now see, I wouldn’t have thought of cloves in sweet things — I normally think of that as a savory spice.

21. Nutmeg Nanny says:

I love brown butter but have never made it into a frosting…delicious!

22. Wow, this looks delicious! Definitely have to try this one out.

23. rymo says:

I’ve never baked a cake in my life. Before tonight, the extent of my kitchen skills outside of high school home ec (which was now over 10 years ago) was grilled cheese and frozen pizza. When I wanted to make my girlfriend her favorite birthday cake, yours was the first Google hit for “chocolate spice cake”. After much planning and measuring and mixing — it’s edible! Thank you so much for the recipe! It did turn out very delicate — it literally melts in your mouth. Wonderful! Thanks again.

24. Made this cake this afternoon without the frosting (didn’t have powdered sugar – bummer). It was more delicious than I thought it would be and I thought it would be amazing.

People, make this cake!!

25. Joumana says:

I love chocolate and I love spices. I am going to try this cake! ( my favorite chocolate is Lindt chili)

1. Tweets that mention Chocolate Spice Cake With Brown Butter Frosting | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - October 1, 2009

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans, Teanna DiMicco, Donna and others. Donna said: RT @bakingblog Fresh shenanigans! Chocolate Spice Cake With Brown Butter Frosting: http://bit.ly/P8Kpw {Holy Moly Kelly! YUM!!!} [...]

2. Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - October 2, 2009

[...] the Chocolate Spice Cake with Brown Butter Frosting I was looking for another way to use brown butter in sweets.  I decided on cookies, since they are [...]

3. Spiced Chocolate Crinkles | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - December 11, 2009

[...] long ago which is lovely on its own, but you know me and my propensity to tinker.  Inspired by my Chocolate Spice Cake I decided to add some warm spices to the cookies, and I also punched up the chocolate flavor by [...]

4. Orange Chocolate Stout Cake | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - September 7, 2010

[...] While the cake cools prepare the frosting.  (For a full tutorial on brown butter frosting, with step-by-step pictures see my recipe for Chocolate Spice Cake with Brown Butter Frosting) [...]

5. Chocolate Chip Banana Blondie Cake | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - January 7, 2011

[...] was all I needed as topping, but if you want to gussy things up a bit try a chocolate or *ahem* brown butter frosting.  Either would turn this humble snacking cake into a full-fledged [...]