Peach Upside-down Cake

As Summer winds down, and we start to see the Summer fruit dwindle in the stores, I find that I am on one last Summer dessert push.

Peach Upside-down Cake

I know, in a few shorts weeks, that the fresh Summer peaches will be replaces with the depressing peaches we get most of the year.  I am going to miss my fresh peaches, and I thought that I have one last ‘hurrah’ in the form of a peach cake.

Peach Upside-down Cake

I have be sort of obsessed with upside-down cakes of late, so it was a natural for me to turn my lovely late peaches into a fluffy, rich cake.   Along with tasting good, it is really nice to look at making it perfect for a party or pot-luck.

Peach Upside-down Cake

Peach Upside-down Cake       Serves 8

3 ounces brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 peaches, peeled and cut into 1/2″ slices
6 ounces unsalted butter
3.5 ounces brown sugar
3.5 ounces white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
6.5 ounces all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 ounce baking powder
7.5 ounces buttermilk

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8″ cake pan with non-stick spray.

Peach Upside-down Cake

In the microwave melt the butter with the brown sugar.  Mix well.

Peach Upside-down CakePeach Upside-down Cake

Pour the butter mixture into the prepared pan and layer the peaches on top.  Set aside.

Peach Upside-down CakePeach Upside-down Cake

In a medium bowl cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until well combined.  Add the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time mixing well between additions.  In a separate bowl sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.  Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour.  Pour the batter over the peaches and spread to the edges of the pan.

Peach Upside-down Cake

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the center of the cake springs back when lightly pressed and the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.  Cool for ten minutes in the pan then turn out onto your serving platter.  Allow to cool for an additional thirty minutes before slicing.

Peach Upside-down Cake

Enjoy warm, or at room temperature.

Peach Upside-down Cake

Tags: , , , ,

26 Responses to “Peach Upside-down Cake”

1. This looks delicious. I love fresh peaches. They will be missed until next year.

2. Great looking peach upside down cake. I agree that fresh peaches are better than frozen or canned alternatives.

3. alice says:

Hello peach cake, how about you and me going somewhere for a nice treat? Like in my tummy? I love this cake!! TY!

Yummy! This looks good. I am going to miss the fresh Texas peaches! Maybe I should make one last effort and scour the farmer’s markets, buy up a bunch, and freeze them so I can relive their amazingness in the middle of winter!

5. alison says:

very beutiful!all post!congrats!

What a fantastic cake! I have nectarines, I think I will try it!

7. Nice! I know how you’re feeling. I want to stock up on some peaches before they’re gone.

Awesome cake. Looks really moist. Mmmm…Pass me a slice and maybe a glass of milk, too.

8. is this cake fedexable because I want to eat it NOW! :D

9. This peach cake looks amazingly moist! I have saved this one to my favorites. I love vintage desserts like this :)

10. Jess says:

Your cake looks lovely and delicious! I just made a similar cake with nectarines and raspberries. Gotta love summer fruit!

11. Gorgeous!!! I have done upside down cakes with several different fruits but oddly enough not peaches! Thanks for the recipe :)

12. beautiful. I might try this with pears? will it work?

13. I love upside down cakes… they are so beautiful! I love the idea to make a peach upside down cake… Looks like a wonderful recipe! Love the pictures of the top (or is it the bottom) of the cake!

14. Karen says:

Looks great, I’d love to try it – but I don’t see the amount of buttermilk listed in the recipe?

15. diva says:

oh that looks so yummy and moist! definitely a fab last summer dessert :) x

16. Chris says:

My mom used to make this for me and she’d put a cherry in the centre for decoration. Many a huge fight took place in my house to get said cherry.

17. Ben says:

Hmm that looks delicious. I love peaches and usually eat them raw or in fruit salads and smoothies, but this cake has won me over :D

18. Parita says:

Cake has come out soooo good, extremely moist!

19. Jessie says:

great cake, mind emailing me a slice j/k I love fresh peaches from the farmer’s markets that is one of the things I’m going to miss about summer

20. ValleyWriter says:

This is just beautiful! Might have to make it for my labor day party this weekend – thanks for sharing!

21. Paula says:

I have been craving pineapple upside down cake for weeks…Now I’m craving this! looks superb!!

22. Bob says:

That looks wicked good. My girlfriend can’t get enough peach, I’ll have to make this for her (and me). Heh.

23. Lucy says:

I love pretty upside down cakes just like this one – it looks deliciously moist with all that lovely peach flavour :)

24. I was just wondering what to do with a bunch of peaches I was given. This looks beautiful and perfect.

25. Rachel says:

This was a DELICIOUS treat that I served up for Father’s Day and topped it with a dollop of fresh whipped cream! LOVE it! :)

26. Laura says:

Hi, I didn’t understand… How do I add the buttermilk? Do I have to add it melted? because I don’t know how you get the mixture so soft and kind of liquid…