Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

I’ve discussed inspiration here a few times, and I admit mine comes from the strangest places.

Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

This bit of inspiration hit in my local grocery store’s rather dismal bakery section.  Let’s be honest, grocery store bakeries are bleak places stuffed with pre-fab cakes smothered with greasy icing, cookie pucks, and pies with what can best be described as watery crusts.  So, right about now I bet your wondering where I got any inspiration from such a wasteland of baked goods.

Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

My inspiration was a loaf of whole grain french bread.   The bread looked pretty good, truth be told, but when I picked it up I felt that it was past it’s prime.  I considered for a moment and decided to get it anyway.  Stale bread is perfect for one of my very favorite desserts.  Bread pudding!

Because it is Fall I am craving warm flavors which is why I chose butterscotch and cinnamon to flavor my bread pudding.  Once in the baking dish I decided to add a crisp topping.  Not only because it is pretty but because it adds a bit of texture.  I like texture!  While it was baking I decided it NEEDED a sauce, and I had some golden rum calling out to be used.  This dessert just sort of made itself!

Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

This bread pudding is lovely warm from the oven with a drizzle of Rum Sauce, but it is even better the next day, gently warmed in the oven or microwave.  Let it cool down completely before storing in the refrigerator and the crisp topping will stay nice and crisp.

Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce    Serves 6-8

1/4 cup unsalted butter

For the rum sauce:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup cream
3 tablespoons rum

Heat the oven to 350F and spray a medium casserole dish with non-stick spray.

Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

In a small skillet over medium heat melt the butter and brown sugar.  Let the mixture start to bubble and cook for thirty seconds.  Remove the pan from the heat to cool slightly.

Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum SauceButterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

In a large bowl whisk the eggs, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, and the brown sugar mixture until well mixed.  Whisk in the milk.

Add the cubed bread to the bowl and toss to coat.  Allow to soak for ten minutes before transferring to the prepared baking dish.  While the bread soaks make the crisp topping.

Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

In a small bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, and sugar.  Using your fingers blend in the butter until the mixture resembles wet sand with peas in it.  Spread the topping over the bread pudding.

Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the entire bread pudding has puffed.

While the bread pudding bakes prepare the sauce.

In a small sauce pan over medium heat melt the butter.  Mix in the brown sugar and bring to a boil.  Allow the mixture to cook for thirty seconds, then reduce the heat to low.  Slowly add the cream while whisking.  Bring the mixture back to a boil then turn off the heat.  Carefully add the rum and mix well.  Allow the sauce to cool.

Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

Allow the bread pudding to cool for at least thirty minutes before serving.  To serve, slice a piece of the bread pudding and pour over the sauce to taste.

DSCF4207

Tags: , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to “Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce”

1. CJ Carter says:

DROOLING!! that’s all I have to say :))

2. Diana says:

wow, that looks absolutely amazing. I totally bookmarked it!

3. Michelle says:

OMG…does this sound good! Love Rum Sauce!

4. Bob says:

I’m a sucker for bread pudding, particularly with rum! Heh. Looks fantastic, a great use of grocery store bread.

Wow, this looks good. I’m a sucker for butterscotch! Don’t you just love when you can play around in the kitchen, thinking of various things to add to your dish, and it comes out all awesome like this?

6. ti sounds fabulous! I love bread pudding, and I LOVE butterscotch

7. Bread pudding and Butterscotch…could it get any better than that? Looks delicious!

8. Yum! Isn’t it great when inspiration comes from the weirdest of places. It’s exciting. Awesome bread pudding!!

9. I am going to make banana white chocolate bread pudding and now going to serve with some of this rum sauce….looks divine! Thanks for sharing….Happy Baking!

10. Nutmeg Nanny says:

The topping on this bread pudding looks divine! I am bookmarking this. I can’t wait to make it…yum!

11. Lady Mystery says:

Wow! I must try this. I love butter scotch and this recipe looks great.

12. Absolutely gorgeous… as always! Adding this recipe to my must-make list, as well.

13. oooh goodness, i’m not a huge bread pudding or butterscotch fan, but this looks sinfully delicious. thanks for sharing!

14. ingrid says:

I will definitely be giving this a try. We love us some bread pudding, yes we do!
    ~ingrid

15. krista says:

This looks great! I’m going to try it this weekend. Love the blog! Krista (from the flight from Philly to Dallas) :)

Hey Krista!! Glad you came by!! Really enjoyed our talk on the flight!

17. efrain says:

I know that stale bread is best for this, but can you ‘speed up’ the process by putting the bread in the oven or out in the open for a while?

You can slice the bread thick and try it out in the oven, or even toast the bread in the toaster. It will not be quite the same, but it will make it go faster. In the oven I’d say 250F until it is crusty and getting dry.

19. Jodi says:

Wonderful recipe. It was the first time I had ever made bread pudding, and now have made it twice, and a third time in the offing. It was very much enjoyed by all with whom I shared it. It’s practically a sin not to try this recipe.

20. JaLesa says:

This will be my first time making a bread pudding for Christmas and WOW this looks great and thanks for sharing the step by step pictures! I can’t wait to make this!

21. Donna says:

Absolutely delicious! Very rich yet wonderful!!! Served to some company and received rave reviews! :-) Would be good with plain cream poured over it as well!

1. Tweets that mention Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - October 23, 2009

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Oxford Falls, MaryeAudet. MaryeAudet said: RT @bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce – http://bit.ly/42DkGw << Yummy looking-and SO many images. ;) […]

2. Saturday Blog Surfing : Baking Delights - Baking Tips and Recipes - October 24, 2009

[…] Shenanigans obviously had a Vulcan Mind Meld with me this week as she made Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce to  my Pumpkin Pecan Caramel Bread Pudding with […]