Pasta with Gruyere and Butternut Squash

I’ve said before that butternut squash and I were not always such good friends.

Butternut Squash Pasta

Once I discovered that I did not hate butternut squash – I liked it quite a lot in fact – I began to try new recipes so that I could add this tasty squash into my Fall recipe rotation.  This recipe was one that I was positive would fail.  I was so sure, in fact, I had dug through the junk drawer to find a pizza coupon.  Boy was I wrong!

Butternut Squash Pasta

The sweetness of the squash and the salty cheese sauce, with a hint of bacon, was perfect!  I went back for seconds.  Oh, and I threw away the pizza coupon.

Pasta with Gruyere and Butternut Squash   Serves 4

2 cups diced butternut squash
3 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
Salt and pepper
4 ounces grated Gruyere cheese
6 ounces of any tube shaped pasta (I used penne)
1/4 cup panko
1/4 cup grated parmesan

Heat the oven to 375F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.  Also prepare a medium size casserole dish with non-stick spray.

Butternut Squash Pasta

Place the diced squash on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 45 to 55 minutes, until very tender.  Remove from the oven and set aside.

Prepare the pasta according to the package directions but reduce the cooking time by one minute.  Drain and set aside.

Butternut Squash PastaButternut Squash PastaButternut Squash Pasta

In a saucepan over medium heat cook the chopped bacon until very crisp.  Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside to drain.  Remove all but about two tablespoons of the rendered bacon fat.  Add the onion and garlic and cook for thirty seconds before adding the flour.  Cook the flour for one minute then slowly add the milk, whisking constantly.  Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.  Cook until the sauce begins to bubble and starts to thicken slightly.   Turn off the heat.

Butternut Squash Pasta

Add the shredded cheese to the sauce in three installments, making sure the first installment is completely melted before adding the next.  Fold in the cooked pasta.

Butternut Squash Pasta Butternut Squash Pasta Butternut Squash Pasta

Layer the butternut squash on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.  On top of that add the pasta mixture.  Top with the panko and parmesan cheese.

Butternut Squash Pasta

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the past bubbles at the edges and the cheese and panko are starting to brown.

Butternut Squash Pasta

Cool for five minutes before serving.

Butternut Squash Pasta

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Pasta with Gruyere and Butternut Squash”

1. Eliana says:

This pasta dish looks absolutely incredible!!!

2. Soooooo yummy!
    I wish I could taste it online.

3. Karen says:

I am definitely going to have to try this. My hubby loves squash, but I’m not a big fan. Yet this looks very appealing. Thanks for the recipe.

Karen, this is a great recipe for people who are not fans of squash. I hope you enjoy it!

5. ValleyWriter says:

I love butternut squash, but I feel like I only ever eat it as a side dish (roasted or mashed). This looks like a great new way to have it. Yum!

Creamy and delicious! Butternut squash is oh so good!

7. Bob says:

Oh wow, that looks amazing!

8. Yum!! Squash and pasta. You can’t go wrong with that.

Yum! I love butternut. Of course, I might have had to adjust the recipe, because once that baking sheet full of squash came back out of the oven, I probably would have snuck way too many bites, and not left enough for the dish!

10. Michelle says:

Sounds delicious to me. I just saw a pumpkin pasta recipe to try too. They’re quite similar. Looks great!

11. ooh wow, that look sinfully delicious :)

12. so many delicious pumpkin dishes lately. I will have to wait for the next round.

13. Tara says:

looks amazing!!!! out of curiosity, why not mix in the butternut squash with the pasta?

Tara, I wanted the final dish to have a layered effect. I also wanted to be able to have the pasta be somewhat separate from the squash so I could add as much or as little to my bite as I wanted. Not that I’m difficult to live with. :)

15. OH! That sounds incredible!!! Just added it to my “must make” list. :)

That cake in the previous post look pretty darn incredible, too!

16. What an amazing dish… This looks wonderful!

17. Nutmeg Nanny says:

This is Fall in pasta form:)

18. Jenny says:

Made this for dinner two nights ago, and enjoying my leftovers for lunch again today. Delicious!! When I tasted the cheese sauce before baking, I thought the nutmeg & cinnamon might have been a bit overpowering. But when it came out of the oven, I was in love. Will definitely be made again – thanks for the post!

19. This is the ultimate mac and cheese. love all those flavors. who needs pizza?

20. Frenchie says:

I have always made a butternut squash gratin with gruyere cheese. I would have never thought to turn it into a mac and cheese but it seems really perfect. I can’t wait to make this on a super cold day, I think it will warm me right up.

21. Anita N. says:

I have no idea how on Earth you thought this recipe could fail…I had to stop myself from licking the screen just now! This looks incredible, truly…well done! I love it when a cheese sauce has hints of nutmeg and cinnamon- my favorite macaroni & cheese recipe is made that way!

22. Mary says:

I just wanted to say I made this last weekend and it was amaaazing. Thanks for posting!

23. Dixi says:

Awesome recipe! Would note that 55+ minutes for the diced squash results in crispy squash. Had some left over and cooked for 30 minutes and was perfect. Also, no directions for adding the bacon back to the dish, so I added after melting cheese. A definate do again with adjustments!

24. Dani says:

This looks wonderful and I can’t wait to try it! Could this be made ahead? Or, if not the whole dish, maybe just roast the squash the night before? I want to make it on a weeknight but I don’t really have time to roast the squash when I get home from work and then still have the pasta bake in the oven. Do you think the squash would be too mushy if it is roasted the night before?

Dani – I think it would be fine to roast the squash in advance. I hope you enjoy it!

1. Tweets that mention Pasta with Gruyere and Butternut Squash | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - October 21, 2009

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by foodiePrints and Evil Shenanigans, Sarah Battersby. Sarah Battersby said: @jo_jo_ba RT @bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans: Pasta with Gruyère + Butternut Squash – http://bit.ly/4qS02P <-Oh. Yumm. [...]

2. Pasta with Gruyere and Butternut Squash « inyo mouth - November 11, 2009