Four Cheese Potato Gratin

Sometimes you just need potatoes.

DSCF4265

We eat a fair amount of potatoes in my house.  They are versatile, easy to prepare and really the best starchy comfort food going, aside from macaroni and cheese which is the king of comfort food as far as I am concerned.

All that said, I do get a little tired of the same old baked potatoes and mashed potatoes.  Yes, they are easy, and they are good, but I knew I could do more with this tasty tuber within an hour!

DSCF4267

My mom makes these scalloped potatoes that are SO good.  (And, if  you are reading this, “Hi mom!!”) That dish was what inspired me to throw this together for lunch one afternoon.  I wanted a complex cheese flavor so I used a blend of strong cheeses, but I wanted to keep it subtle at the same time so I used them sparingly.  This recipe strikes the right balance of creamy cheese sauce and tender potato.  It takes about as long to make as a baked potato, and while it is a little more labor intensive, it isn’t going to run you ragged.

This is a pretty basic recipe, but why get complicated with something that is so good?

Four Cheese Potato Gratin     Serves 4

1 pound peeled potatoes, sliced thin (about 1/4″ thick)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 ounce fontina cheese
1 ounce sharp chedar cheese
1 ounce gruyere cheese
1/2 ounce cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Heat your oven to 350F and spray a medium size casserole dish with non-stick spray.  (Alternately you can spray four individual casserole dishes, about 1 cup volume, with non-stick spray.)  Place your baking dish on a sheet pan lined with parchment.

DSCF4236DSCF4237

In a pot filled with salted water, boil the potatoes for five minutes.  Drain and reserve.

DSCF4238

In a sauce pan over medium heat melt the butter.  Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften, about three minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for thirty seconds.   Add the flour and mix until the flour is moistened by the butter.  This mixture will be dry.

DSCF4239

Whisk in the milk and cook until the mixture begins to thicken, but has not come to a boil.  Turn off the heat and add the cheeses.  Mix until they are melted.  Add the red pepper and season to taste with salt and pepper.

DSCF4240

In the prepared casserole dish first layer 1/3 of the potatoes, then 1/3 of the sauce.  Repeat two more times then top with the panko and parmesan.

DSCF4273

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it is bubbling and the top is golden brown.

DSCF4277

Allow to cool for ten minutes before serving.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Four Cheese Potato Gratin”

I love your red dishes! I love the bubbling over look too:)

2. Elle says:

Beautiful! Potatoes are our friends, seriously. And with Fontina and Gruyere? TDF!

3. Potatoes+cheese is always a winner combination. And I love the little casseroles!

4. Divina says:

That looks so heavenly and with four cheeses, I would definitely have this. I’ll be making this after my brother’ wedding just to make sure that my gown fits me. :)

5. Kristen says:

WOW. What’s not to like about potatoes and cheese. Looks great!

6. meatlessmama says:

Those look like real comfort food, and they would be great for the holidays.

Oh wow, yum! I love cheesy potatoes. This would be evil indeed in our kitchen!

8. Michelle says:

Mmmm. Just looking at your picture with all that ooey, cheesey goodness spilling out is making my mouth water.

9. Oh my goodness…that DOES look evil!

10. Drool… so cheesy… (read as Homer Simpson)

11. Ben says:

My mom also makes something very similar to this dish and it’s SO good. Comfort food at its best.

12. Sunshine Mom says:

First of all, your red dishes are awesome. Second, can I come live with you? Looks soooooo good!!!

13. ValleyWriter says:

We don’t eat nearly enough potatoes in my house (as far as I’m concerned). Hubby’s not a big fan of baked or mashed, but I think I could win him over with this!

14. Great pictures. I just want to peel that cheese off the side of the pot and eat it.

15. Oh my! That looks so good right now. I need to have potatoes in my house too. I love how it’s oozing from the side of the dish. That makes it even more tempting.

16. Gorgeous, delicious potatoes! I can’t wait to try these. And I LOVE your little pots!

17. The pictures of this are amazing & I can’t wait to try it! I can feel the jeans tightening from all of your recipes, but they are all so delicious :)

18. 4 cheeses are such an evil but delightful indulgence!

19. Lady Mystery says:

Cheese and potato together, now that’s what I’m talking about. I love it!!!

20. Laura says:

Talk about comfort food. love the red dishes:)

21. lululu says:

delicious and so simple to make!
    look at all those spills!!!! so irresistible!

22. Liz C. says:

Yum! I love anything with potatoes & cheese (unfortunately). This looks totally fabuloso!

23. Yum… these look tasty! My husband is always complaining that I don’t make potatoes enough. I think I might need to make these for him as a peace offering! :)

24. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Ahhhh man I wish I had some of this right now! My stomach is growling…

25. Eliana says:

Your last picture has perfection written all over it.

26. I just found this recipe. It looks soo delicious. I am making it while I off the next two weeks!

1. Tweets that mention Four Cheese Potato Gratin | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - October 28, 2009

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans. Evil Shenanigans said: Fresh Shenanigans – Four Cheese Potato Gratin – http://bit.ly/37Y9jv [...]

2. Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - November 9, 2009

[...] established that I used to be in a potato rut.  No longer, I am happy to report, and this recipe proves [...]

3. Dreams of warm milk and melting cheese « CheeseLover.ca - January 8, 2013

[...] pretty well followed Kelly’s recipe–Click here for the recipe and more photos–except for the [...]