Pancetta Risotto Cakes and Some Exciting News

Thu, Oct 22, 2009

Cooking, Featured Articles

I have some VERY exciting news!!

Pancetta Risotto Cakes

A few weeks ago FoodBuzz and Bertolli Sauce had a contest.  They wanted two menu items, an appetizer and a main dish, that used Bertolli Sauce products.  The winners would have their travel and hotel accommodations paid for to the First Annual FoodBuzz Festival.   How awesome is that?

The chef’s at Bertolli Sauce selected eight winners, and I am so pleased to let you know that one of my menu items, Pancetta Risotto Cakes, was selected!

Pancetta Risotto Cakes

Of the eight winners, three will be selected by the FoodBuzz community to demo their Menu Items  live at the festival.   Voting is from October 23 until November 1st, and you can see the complete list of winners and vote here.  (To vote just Buzz the entry you like best!)

DSCF3982

Now, for a little about my menu item.   I created a Pancetta Risotto Cake.  I combined creamy risotto with pancetta, shallots, garlic, parmesan cheese, and a bit of ground red pepper. The mixture is cooled and formed into cakes, dipped in crunchy panko bread crumbs, and lightly fried in Bertolli Extra Light Olive Oil until golden brown. They are served with Bertolli’s Vodka Sauce and fresh torn basil.

I wanted something elegant but fun, and I wanted something that you could use in a variety of ways and that would appeal to a variety of tastes.  More than anything I wanted something that is not a chore to prepare.  With the holidays rapidly approaching I knew whatever I created would need to be something I would not hesitate to make at that time of year.  These cake take, excluding chilling time for the risotto, about an hour to make.

DSCF3988

These risotto cakes make a satisfying main course with a green salad or some roasted vegetables, but they are also lovely served as finger food at a cocktail party. You can prepare the risotto mixture as much as to two days in advance and then all you have to do on the day of your gathering is shape, bread, and fry them.  I love food that I can make ahead … again I am thinking of the Holiday’s.

DSCF3992

I know you are all asking, “But Kelly, where is the recipe?”  Sorry folks, but for now it is under wraps.  I hope to get to share it with you soon!

Tags: , , ,

20 Responses to “Pancetta Risotto Cakes and Some Exciting News”

1. Michelle says:

These sound and look so good and I am so hungry now. Fantastic!

Congratulations!

2. Yum… Those look fantastic! Congratulations :)

3. maria says:

I am so happy for you! Have a great time!

4. Congrats from a fellow winner! Those look great!

5. lk says:

looks delish, Kelly! I’m so excited that one of my “friends” won tooI Its so nice to be able to share the excitement!

6. That’s so awesome!!!! Congrats Kelly. This looks really great. Definitely worth the win.

7. Megan says:

Those look fabulous! I’m not surprised you won. Congratulations!!

8. Mmmmm, arancini all day, everyday. So good. Congrats and looking forward to meeting you!

9. devoted4life says:

congrats on being selected! I can see why…these look AMAZING!!! Can’t wait to bite into one!

10. Congrats! The recipe looks delicious! Reminds me of something my Nonna used to make, rice balls. So delicious!

I saw your name on that list yesterday and I was so excited for you! Woohoo! These look tasty.

12. ValleyWriter says:

This is awesome! Congratulations!! I hope you have a great time at the festival!

13. CJ Carter says:

great job, they look yummy and CONGRATS!!

14. Congratulations! The risotto cakes look absolutely scrumptious!

15. Diana says:

Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting you at the Festival.

16. my oh my I think I could easily put down thirty of these bad boys. Good Luck because they look delicious!!

17. Nutmeg Nanny says:

How awesome! Congrats too you:) These remind me of rice balls but more crunchy:)

18. Karen says:

Congrats! And can’t wait for the recipe. I love risotto and these look scrumptious!

1. Tweets that mention Pancetta Risotto Cakes and Some Exciting News!! | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - October 22, 2009

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Donna. Donna said: RT @bakingblog Special Announcement at EvilShenanigasn! :D http://bit.ly/3qbXeh [...]

2. Pancetta Risotto Cakes | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - December 28, 2009

[...] Do you remember a few months ago when I posted that a recipe I created won a contest and the prize was a trip to San Francisco? [...]