Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

Mon, Nov 30, 2009

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

On a recent trip to visit my Great Aunt Ruby I had the opportunity to copy down a few more family recipes.

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

One of the recipes was for an oatmeal raisin cookie made with coconut and cocoa powder.  It sounded unique and I jotted it down to play with later.  Well,  later came sooner than I imagined because I could not get the recipe out of my head.  I modified the original recipe by adding a different blend of white and brown sugars, adding some vanilla, and omitting the raisins.  I didn’t have any in the pantry, but if you want to add them the recipe calls for 1 cup.

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

The final cookies are crisp on the outside and chewy inside.  The cinnamon and cocoa powder give the cookies a unique flavor that I find almost addicting.   They are very moist from the coconut and have a lovely texture from the oats.  They also bake up really pretty which makes them great for giving as a gift, or for putting on a pretty plate for a party or get together.

Oatmeal Coconut Cookies     Yield 5 dozen

1 cup salted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sweetened coconut
2 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon Dutch processed cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup boiling water

Heat the oven to 350 F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

In the bowl of a mixer add the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar.  Blend on low speed until they are just combined.  While mixing on low speed add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla.  Mix until well combined but not fluffy.

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

Add the shredded coconut and the oats and mix on low speed until well incorporated.

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

In a separate bowl sift the flour, cinnamon and cocoa powder.  Stir to combine.

In a measuring cup mix the boiling water and the baking soda.

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

Add half of the flour mixture to the oat mixture and mix for about five seconds on low speed.  Add all of the water and mix until the water is incorporated then add the remaining flour mixture and mix until just combined.

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

Scoop out the dough by the rounded tablespoon, or use a #60 disher, about two inches apart.  Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until slightly darker and firm.

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

Cool for five minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

Tags: , , , ,

17 Responses to “Coconut Oatmeal Cookies”

I love coconut and oatmeal cookies. These look wonderful! I am adding them to my bake list!

2. I love coconut. These sound delish!

3. Anna says:

I love anything with coconut, it looks really yummy.

4. That sounds pretty interesting – I wouldn’t have imagined the coconut in there. I think I’ll have to try these.

5. Coconut AND oatmeal = pretty much the best cookies out there! (now if you added some chocolate!)

6. Mr. P says:

They are all the same size. You are an expert!

7. I am definitely ready to start thinking about cookies, and these sound like something I would love. I don’t like raisins, so leaving them out it just fine with me. Love coconut and oatmeal together!

8. lk says:

yum! I love coconut oatmeal cookies and these look like the have the perfect crisp-tender texture.

9. I’m ready for a late night snack. =) Yummy cookies will do just the trick.

10. Danielle says:

Coconut and cinnamon in oatmeal cookies? YUM!

11. Bradley says:

These look great, I definintely plan on trying them. Great job with the blog, your photos are awesome.

Bradley – Thank you very much!! :D

13. I love oatmeal cookies… These sound fantastic, especially with the coconut and cocoa powder.

14. I had these love for cookies whatever kind they are. They always make me smile. I haven’t tried coconut and oatmeal. It sounds so new to me. Thanks for sharing.

15. Lila says:

Wow! I just baked these and they are PERFECT. I am by no means an accomplished baker, and they turned out just wonderful. I love coconut, I love oats, I love cocoa and I just LOVE these. Thanks so much to your genius Aunt ! x

1. Tweets that mention Coconut Oatmeal Cookies | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - November 30, 2009

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Maria Lichty. Maria Lichty said: RT @bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans: Coconut Oatmeal Cookies – http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2009/11/coconut-oatmeal-cookies/ […]

2. uberVU - social comments - December 1, 2009

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans: Coconut Oatmeal Cookies – http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2009/11/coconut-oatmeal-cookies/