Jalapeno Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms

Let’s talk about party food, shall we?

Stuffed Mushrooms

When I host, or attend and help cook for, a cocktail party I like to think about finger foods and two-bite dishes that are easy to eat, pretty and not too messy.   I like savory dishes that stand up to a variety of cocktails and beers, and nothing does that better than mushrooms.

Stuffed Mushrooms

These mushrooms are stuffed with a mixture of cheeses which is studded with crisp fried bacon and minced jalapenos.  The smoky bacon and the zing from the jalapenos balance with the rich cheese, while the panko topping is a nice crunchy contrast to tender mushroom and creamy filling.

Stuffed Mushrooms

These are a perfect foil to just about any sweet drink, and great with beer.  I used the larger ‘stuffing’ sized mushrooms, but if you made them with standard button mushrooms they would be a lovely ‘pop-in-the-mouth’ bite.  As a bonus, you can easily make these vegetarian by omitting the bacon and using olive oil to soften the veggies for those who avoid meat or pork.

Jalapeno Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms   Yield about 12 large mushrooms

1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 pound of large button mushrooms (about 12 caps)
3 strips thick cut bacon, chopped
1 jalapeno, minced
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
1  clove garlic
1 ounce cream cheese
2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper

Begin by preparing the panko topping.

In a small bowl combine the panko bread crumbs with the melted butter.  Toss until evenly coated.  Set aside.

Heat the oven to 350 F.

Stuffed Mushrooms

Carefully clean and stem the mushrooms.  Set the caps on a small baking sheet.  Chop the stems and set aside.

Stuffed Mushrooms Stuffed Mushrooms

In a small pan over medium heat cook the chopped bacon until crisp.  Add the chopped vegetables and mushroom stems and cook until softened, about five minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Set aside to cool slightly.

Stuffed Mushrooms Stuffed Mushrooms

In a medium bowl mix the shredded cheese with the cream cheese until well combined.  Add the warm vegetable mixture and mix well.

Stuffed Mushrooms

Divide the filling evenly between the mushrooms.  Top with the buttered panko mixture.

Stuffed Mushrooms

Bake for 20 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and the topping is golden brown.

Stuffed Mushrooms

Serve warm.

Stuffed Mushrooms

Tags: , , , , , , ,

46 Responses to “Jalapeno Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms”

1. Those sound delish (and your photos make them look fantastic). I’m supposed to bring a dish to a baby shower coming up, and this sounds like the perfect thing to balance against the standard tea sandwich offerings. Thanks!

Never met a stuffed mushroom I didn’t like – but I love these!

3. Miranda says:

This looks deadly. I could eat everyone of them….All my favs in one small package.

4. Yum! I’m loving all of the appetizer recipes. I think I may need to have myself a party :).

5. I looooove stuffed mushrooms of every kind. These look delish.

6. Natalie says:

YUMMM! I usually make bacon and goat cheese stuffed mushrooms, but I know jalapeno would be a great addition.

I may have a party, just to invite you and get some of these delicious little mushrooms ;)

7. Rachel J says:

You had me at bacon, but jalapeno, mushrooms, and 2 cheese sent me over the foodie edge!

8. Drick says:

gosh, perfect and incredible looking – tasty recipe going into my collection….thanks

Great party recipe!

10. So you’ve essentially taken my current favorite appetizer recipe (bbq bacon wrapped jalapenos) and reduced the fat content (less room in a mushroom than pepper) while making it about mushrooms. That is HEROIC.

11. lk says:

yum! I want to pluck one right off my screen and pop it in my mouth

12. Sook says:

Wow I love stuffed mushrooms! And the fact there’s jalapeno peppers in it makes me want to eat it even more!

13. Liz C. says:

These look ever so much more delicious than the ones I’ve been making. Hubby is going to adore these… and me too!

14. Mags says:

Oh my… those look so perfect and delicious. A definite must-make for the holidays.

15. Mr. P says:

Just the sound of these made me salivate. Then I saw the photo. Package these! Become a millionaire!

16. I like anything with bacon.

17. goodieswassa says:

your appetizer dish look wonderful–

18. yum! bacon, mushrooms, and jalapenos all in in a few bites! this sounds amazing!

19. Divina says:

Absolutely gorgeous will all the wonderful ingredient stuffing.

20. Brad says:

Ya mon, bring on the bacon recipes. This would be be great to bring to a party. Thanks, I am a baconaholic….

21. Pete says:

These sound great, and any time you pair bacon and spicy you can’t go wrong!!!

22. it’s great i like it to much…

23. These look wonderful and not just for a party either! Congrats on Top 9!

24. Yum!! Stuffed mushrooms are one of my favorite appetizers to serve when we have company over. These will definitely go on my must-make list!

25. These look incredible! OMG!

26. I HAVE to have these. Divine.

27. Danielle says:

I would like t make these with some cremini mushrooms! Love the use of panko instead of regular bread crumbs. I hadn’t thought of that yet. Thanks!

28. Alison says:

It’s not even fair how beautiful these are.

29. Bromography says:

These look scrumptious. A must try for my next holiday gathering!

30. Excellent recipe. I can me adapting this for my smoker. Thank you.

31. these look absolutely scrumptious…lve the use of cheese and mushrooms

32. Jill says:

These were a hit!!! So glad I found them on foodgawker.com. My 3 year old helped to stuff them so that was a plus as well. They were easy to make the day ahead and just refrigerate, then yesterday I added the panko topping and baked. They were quickly demolished!!!! How can you go wrong with cheese, bacon and jalapenos? I’ll be making these for future parties for sure! Thanks for the great recipe.

33. BNDQ8 says:

looks super delicious!! i love anything that involves mushroom in it :)

34. Jara says:

This sounds divine. Everything I’ve been cooking lately has had mushrooms. I luckily have everything for this in my fridge so i’ll definitely have to give this a try! =)

I’ve made these three times since Christmas… I’ve become almost evangelical about them. Jalepenos, bacon, mushrooms. Brilliant.

36. cody says:

can u make ahead and freeze?

37. Beverly says:

Delicious!

38. Krissy says:

These were AWESOME! I had a bunch of gigantic ‘shrooms leftowver and didn’t know what to do with them…and I found this recipe! So glad I did, YUMMY!!! I did add some green onions to the mix, not cooked in the pan, and they were excellent in it. Thank you so much for this recipe, I will definitely be making them again. :)

39. kristin says:

I have ACTUALLY made these and they are wonderful. Easy to make ahead and then when it’s party time stick in the oven. VERY DELISH.

1. Tweets that mention Jalapeno Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - December 2, 2009

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Hey Amy. Hey Amy said: RT @bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Jalapeno #Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms! http://bit.ly/4zIXEG [...]

2. uberVU - social comments - December 2, 2009

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Jalapeno #Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms! http://bit.ly/4zIXEG

3. Ungh: Jalapeno Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms | dinnercraft - December 2, 2009

[...] tonight’s agenda: lay on my back, stretched out on the sofa, with a plate of these Jalapeno Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms on my chest, drinking combatively experimenting with beer pairings. Share and [...]

4. jalapeno & bacon stuffed mushrooms | gimme some oven - February 8, 2010

[...] Jalapeno Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms (Adapted from EvilShenanigans) [...]

5. Veg Out This Thanksgiving! - November 23, 2010

[...] Jalapeño Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms [...]

6. Recipe Round Up | 30 Thanksgiving Recipes and Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipes - November 18, 2011

[...] Appetizers and Salads Cranberry Pear Salsa Fennel, Apple, and Pomegranate Salad Pumpkin Pie Dip Warm Spinach Mascarpone Dip Jalapeno Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms  [...]

7. Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms | Baked by Rachel - December 19, 2011