Apple Carrot Maple Cakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

Nothing makes me happier than when I can combine two things I love into one thing I really love!

Apple Carrot Maple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

I love apple cake and I love carrot cake.  While looking at some apples in the market I noticed carrots on sale also, and inspiration struck!  Why not combine the two?  Tart apples, sweet carrots, warm spices, moist cake … how can that be anything but good?   To increase the yum factor I added a bit of some fabulous dark maple syrup that was sent to me by a friend in Canada.  Honestly, it was crying out to be added to the cake.

Apple Carrot Maple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

The result is a moist and tender cake with a hint of maple flavor.  I topped the cakes with a light oating of maple cream cheese frosting for extra tang, and an extra punch of maple goodness.  These would make a great breakfast, but are also lovely for snacking and dessert!

Apple Carrot Maple Cakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting    Yield 12 muffins, or 1 – 8″ square cake

For the cake:

For the frosting:
1 ounce cream cheese
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray a 12 cup muffin pan, or 8″ square pan, with non-stick spray.

Apple Carrot Maple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting  Apple Carrot Maple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

In a small bowl combine the sugar, brown sugar, butter, and maple syrup until well blended.  Add the buttermilk, egg, and apple sauce and mix well.  Set aside

Apple Carrot Maple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting Apple Carrot Maple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

In a large bowl add both the flours, the spices, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.  Whisk to combine.

Apple Carrot Maple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese FrostingApple Carrot Maple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and whisk until just combined.  Add the shredded carrots and apples and fold in until evenly distributed and no dry flour remains.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25  minutes for the muffins, 30 to 40 for the 8″ square cake, or until the cake springs back when pressed in the center and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.  Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Apple Carrot Maple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

While the cake cools prepare the frosting.  In a bowl combine the cream cheese and butter.  Whisk until well combined.

Add the powdered sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla and whisk until smooth.

Apple Carrot Maple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

Frost the cake and enjoy!

Apple Carrot Maple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Apple Carrot Maple Cakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting”

1. Deanna says:

What a wonderful recipe this is! Thank you so much for sharing :-)

2. TeenieCakes says:

These look so good! I just may have all the ingredients in my pantry to give it a try ;) However, I don’t have that adorable square-welled pan that you used…I’ve gotta get me one of those!

I bet this cake is super moist. I am going to try it. I think I will add raisins:)

4. Brilliant! I must try this, I love both!

5. sweetlife says:

Great idea to combine both, they look super moist, I love the square pans.

6. Looks and sounds delicious! I’m putting this on my to-make list. I even have the same pan!

7. ruth says:

I have never cooked with maple syrup but this recipe sounds like the ideal way to start!

8. tara says:

looks delicious and not too sinful! just what i need in the new year :)

9. Jessie says:

maple cream cheese frosting?? I am drooling! I just love the sound of that

10. I too love carrot cake, but this combination sounds fantastic.

11. Sounds like a great combination! what a cute cake pan, I’ve never seen one in this shape before.

12. Gala says:

Genius combination!
    Love that pan!

13. Drick says:

really sounds wonderful – a winner …love the square muffin tin

14. Brie says:

yum, this looks wonderful! i also love your pan with mini squares!

15. Very cute… I need to get one of those pans to make the square mini cakes. This sounds tasty, to… And with carrot and apple? I’m thinking this is health food! Right?

16. They do look very moist – yum! I love all the flavors here and have a bottle of maple at home… ;)

17. Kristen says:

These must be outstanding. Definitely saving this recipe to make soon. I love the square pan!

18. Eliana says:

I am loving everything about this cake. Also, I’m digging your baking pan. Where would I find something like that?

Eliana – I got that pan at Kohls on clearance after Christmas. I ADORE it!! It is a Wilton pan and you should be able to find it online if not in the stores.

20. ValleyWriter says:

You’ve covered 3 of the 5 food groups here (grains, fruit/veg and dairy) – so I say this qualifies as health food! Yummy health food, that is!

21. I love the square muffin tins! What a neat change. Apple and carrot must make a really moist muffin – and I like that you used maple syrup in the muffin and the icing for consistency.

22. Michelle says:

You are not going to believe this but I’ve always put apples in my carrot cake. Most people were surprised but I think it’s a fabulous combo. And the cream cheese frosting couldn’t be more perfect!

1. Tweets that mention Apple Carrot Maple Cakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - January 6, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans. Evil Shenanigans said: Fresh Shenanigans! http://bit.ly/84Ok9r Apple Carrot Maple Cakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting […]