Chocolate Swirl Pound Cake

When I was a child swirled pound cake was an utter mystery to me.

Chocolate Swirl Poundcake

I wondered how they were able to get the chocolate batter to make such intricate designs in the finished cake.  Now that I am older I understand that the oven does nearly all the swirling because as the cake bakes the batter shifts and swirls naturally.  Just like snow flakes, they are all unique.  So, maybe the mystery is solved, but I must admit I still get a little excited when I slice a swirl pound cake and see what design was created.

Chocolate Swirl Poundcake

This pound cake is baked in a 10″ pan and makes a long, somewhat short loaf.  I tried to bake this in a smaller pan but I was not happy with the results.  The finished cake is rich and buttery with a nice balance of vanilla and chocolate.  Nothing is overpowering.  Maybe the best part of this cake is that the edges become delightfully brown and a little crisp adding a lovely contrast to the tender cake.

Chocolate Swirl Pound Cake      Serves 12

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
3 eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 tablespoon water

Heat the oven to 325 F and prepare a 10″ loaf pan with non-stick spray.

Chocolate Swirl Poundcake Chocolate Swirl Poundcake

In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and creamy, about five minutes.  Add the vanilla and mix well.

Chocolate Swirl Poundcake

Add the eggs one at at time, mixing for one minute after each addition.

In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Chocolate Swirl Poundcake

Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour.  Do not over-mix.

Chocolate Swirl Poundcake Chocolate Swirl Poundcake

In a medium bowl add 1/3 of the prepared cake batter along with the cocoa powder and water.  Mix until well blended.

Chocolate Swirl Poundcake Chocolate Swirl Poundcake Chocolate Swirl Poundcake

Pour 1/2 of the remaining vanilla pound cake batter into the prepared pan.  Pour the chocolate batter carefully over the top and gently spread until it is 1/4″ away from the edge of the pan.  Pour over the last of the vanilla batter and cover the chocolate layer completely.

Chocolate Swirl Poundcake

Bake for 50 – 60 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed in the center and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.  Cool for 15 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Swirl Poundcake

Slice and enjoy.

Chocolate Swirl Poundcake

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Chocolate Swirl Pound Cake”

1. Eliana says:

That chocolate swirl looks irresistable!

2. Elle says:

Oooh, I wish I had some right now!

3. amy says:

nothing beats a simple good ole chocolate swirl pound cake. it is my “childhood” cake too!:)

4. Claudia says:

had a giggle at the mystery of “swirling.”I must say there is nothing like a pound cake on a cold winter day’s – yours is mouthwatering. Grand photos! Hungry now.

5. Sook says:

How beautiful!

6. Very nice! Bet it would be delicious in a fruit shortcake.

7. I love pound cake. I remember used to buy the sara lee brand once a week when I was in high school. I need to try making it myself for once. It’s been way too long since I’ve had it.

8. The chocolate swirl is gorgeous!

9. octopuspie says:

just what I was craving, thank you!

10. sweetlife says:

just goregous, great pics

11. Drick says:

so lovely, a piece of art .. and that’s called having your cake and eating it too – nice recipe

12. Ashley says:

Delicious. Wonder how I could make chocolate swirl crepes. You’ve inspired me!

13. Brandon says:

For the chocolate swirl crepes, you could make a batch of chocolate crepe batter in addition to the plain batter.

Then when you’re cooking the plain, add some chocolate batter in whatever pattern you want.

Haven’t tried it yet, but it’s an idea!

14. Looks beautiful and tasty.

15. Yum Yucky says:

My heart rate just sped up 50 notches, especially on that close up pic. I know this recipe of yours has got to be evil-good.

16. Love the pound cake! It looks fantastic. I love the pretty swirls.

17. Man, that cake brings back some memories. It looks so good. Thank you for sharing.

18. I love marbled cakes – they look so pretty and you get two flavors at the same time. ;)

Yours looks really tender – Yum!

19. This looks so moist – and what a beautiful crumb too.

20. Spruce Hill says:

Oh this is my favorite kind of pound cake! Can’t wait to try this recipe! This is my first time visiting your blog. I will be back!

21. Kat says:

Beautiful! Looks delicious, too (of course). :)

22. Yum Yucky says:

I came back to look at the pound cake….again.

23. Jasmine says:

I tried this recipe on last Friday (29 Jan 2010) and it turned out great. Just thought that I should have used vanilla bean paste instead of extract for a more pronounced vanilla flavor.

24. Ciara says:

This looks really mouth-watering! Just a lil question though, when you said “Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour”, what do you mean exactly? [sorry if you think it's a dumb question]

Is it like flour>dry>buttermilk>dry>buttermilk….>flour?
    Like so? Sorry, I just wanted to make sure and to get it right before baking it.

25. Coggie says:

I made this for my husband’s birthday, instead of a traditional birthday cake. He LOVED it. He has been nagging me about making a swirl pound cake like his mom used to for years. I also made this loaf for church. It was gone before the sermon was over. A church member who can’t have chocolate (or gets severe migraines) even snuck a few bites.

1. Tweets that mention Chocolate Swirl Pound Cake | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - January 15, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans, Christi Brogan, Samantha Liang and others. Samantha Liang said: Fresh Shenanigans! Chocolate Swirl Pound Cake – http://bit.ly/5BbJkA (via @bakingblog)yummmm [...]

2. uberVU - social comments - January 17, 2010

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by scrapcatb: RT @bakingblog Fresh Shenanigans! Chocolate Swirl Pound Cake – http://bit.ly/5BbJkA – Looks super yummy! #fb…