Creamy Chicken and Orzo Salad

I know a lot of people are looking for clever ways to stretch a dollar while eating well.

Chicken and Orzo Salad

It is a topic near to my heart.  Just because I am saving money, however, does not mean I want to stop entertaining or enjoying foods I love.  It just means I have to find clever ways to make the most of what I have.  Using pasta to stretch meals an excellent way to feed a crowd with out breaking the bank.  My Creamy Chicken Salad with Orzo certainly fits the bill.

Chicken and Orzo Salad

With the chunks of juicy roast chicken combined with the sweet, plump grapes, this chicken salad is a crowd pleaser.   Served on some simply dressed salad greens you have a complete dish that is tasty and filling.  The orzo, aside from stretching the chicken, also adds interesting texture to the salad.  Next time you have guests over for lunch, or for a light supper, consider this salad.

Creamy Chicken and Orzo Salad     Serves 4-6

1 cup diced roast chicken breast
1 cup cooked orzo pasta, chilled
1/4 cup minced celery
1/4 cup minced sweet onion
2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
1 cup seedless red grapes, sliced in half
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
Fresh greens or lettuce

Chicken and Orzo Salad

In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise and dijon mustard, salt and pepper.  Mix until well combined.

Chicken and Orzo Salad

Add the onion, celery, and the bell pepper.  Stir to combine.

Chicken and Orzo Salad

Add the chicken, orzo and grapes and fold until everything is evenly coated and well distributed.  Cover and chill for two hours.

Chicken and Orzo Salad

Served on top of salad, as a sandwich, or with crackers.

Chicken and Orzo Salad

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Creamy Chicken and Orzo Salad”

Orzo is not used enough. Love the grapes in there too!

2. Yum! I love adding grapes to a chicken salad. Their sweetness really adds to the overall flavor.

3. Natalie says:

Looks very flavorful and has all my favorites. sweet, crunchy, creamy, savory and versatile. I love it!

Looks lovely! I love the grapes in here.

5. Emily says:

This is amazing. Makes me hungry for lunch all over again!

6. I’m the same way especially during these time. Stretching the dollar as much as we can. But you’ve done great. I recently just begun to love orzo. It’s a neat little pasta. Great salad.

7. YUM! I love orzo – just recently found whole wheat! It is really good, too. :)

8. Have yet to get my hands on some orzo. lovely dish. I am saving money by eating at home more.

9. Looks great! I love the fresh burst of grapes in chicken salad!

10. All recipes says:

That looks Yummy!

11. I always loved orzo, thanks for this recipe :)

12. Delicious! I love the red grapes in there to add a bit of sweetness.

13. Saucy Smith says:

I hear the words “chicken salad” and I’m there. Love your recipe combining it with orzo. Wish I had some right this minute.
    Thanks for the post
    SAUCY

14. Yum! Lovin your wooden salad plate, too.

15. Eliana says:

Looks like an awesome all-in-one meal. Wish I was having that for lunch right now instead of this boring sandwich I’m eating. hehe

16. McMom says:

I’m always looking for lunch ideas for myself, and this looks perfect. Can’t wait to try it.

17. Kim says:

I agree with Maria! Orzo needs a whole book! It’s a wonderful pasta. Also I use Whole Wheat! mmmm mmm mm!

18. Helene Everhart says:

Fantastic!!!

1. uberVU - social comments - January 25, 2010

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Creamy Chicken and Orzo Salad! http://bit.ly/5gBLFY A tasty way to stretch your dollar!…

2. Tweets that mention Creamy Chicken and Orzo Salad | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - January 25, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans, leontinker, zeco bob and others. zeco bob said: Creamy Chicken and Orzo Salad | Evil Shenanigans – Baking …: I know a lot of people are looking for clever ways … http://bit.ly/8qeRHC [...]

3. Creative Ideas To Cook Chicken - March 10, 2010

[...] Creamy Chicken and Orzo Salad | Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog [...]