Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies

Wed, Feb 24, 2010

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

This cookie is not what I set out to make.

Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies

This was supposed to be a simple almond cookie.  I was craving almond cookies last week and decided to come up with a recipe that incorporated ground almonds into the cookie for some texture.  Things went astray when I saw a lonely orange sitting on my counter.   It only went further off track when I remembered I had a bag of chocolate disks from New York in my pantry.

Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies

These cookies are crisp and crumbly, yet they are not in the least bit dry.   The almond, which gets nice and toasty in the oven, combines nicely with the subtle orange and rich chocolate flavors.   No, I did not intend to make these cookies, but boy am I glad I did!  I dare you not to eat them all!

Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies    Yield 2 1/2 dozen

1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate

Heat the oven to 325 F and line two sheet pans with parchment paper.

Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies

In the bowl of a mixer cream together the butter, sugar and orange zest until well mixed but not fluffy.  Add the egg yolk, almond extract and orange juice and mix until well combined.

Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, almonds and salt.   Add to the butter mixture and mix until most of the flour is absorbed.  Add the chocolate and mix until well distributed.

Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies

Scoop the cookies out by rounded tablespoons on the prepared baking sheets.  Bake the cookies for 12 to 16 minutes, or until the edges are just golden brown.  Cool on the pan for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies

Enjoy slightly warm or at room temperature.

Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies”

I love orange and chocolate together, these look amazing!

2. Drooling.

That melty chocolate has got me.

3. Natalie says:

Wow these sound so great! I love the taste and especially the smell when baking orange and chocolate together.

4. Lan says:

you know what would taste lovely with these? tea. i can’t have milk so i settle for a cup of tea.

i made orange almond cookies this weekend too, didn’t think to put in chocolate. yours are so much prettier than mine.

5. Eliana says:

These look and sound incredibly tastey. Gotta love happy accidents.

6. I love the smell of fresh baked cookies. It’s beats using an air freshener.

7. Bob says:

I’ll take that dare! I’ll probably lose, but I won’t complain. Heh.

8. These look unbelievably good. Judging from the picture showing the interior, looks like they’re right in the middle between crispy and chewy. Just the way I like them.

9. Katya says:

mmm, orange, chocolate, and almonds. My three favorite things in one all too convenient cookie.

10. Almonds and oranges, what a great flavor combo!

11. Allie says:

Yum! And that picture on top is gorgeous!

I am all of a sudden on a citrus-in-baking “thing”. (Made Homesick Texan’s chocolate pecan pralines the other day – they have orange zest in them.) Orange+chocolate= YUM! And with almonds? Even better.

13. Interesting that you got crisp without crumble… the almonds you think?

14. Yummy! I think these would make very elegant cookies for the Food Blogger Bake Sale. I’m totally on the lookout for bake sale recipes already!

15. Megan says:

That last photo looks delicious! Orange and chocolate has always been one of my favorite flavor combinations, and almonds sound great as well! YUM :)

16. Divina says:

I love the combination of orange and chocolate but never thought of making them in cookies. They’re amazing and a must have.

17. Elizabeth says:

Ok, what did I do wrong? These are tasty, but stayed little round balls instead of flattening out. Mysterious!

18. Spingirl says:

Yummie! Really good, just got the first tray out of the oven. Thanks a lot for this recipe.

19. Cheryllyne says:

May I recommend a splash of Cointreau into the dough? Delish!!!!

20. Katelynn says:

These tastes amazing but they stayed like little hockey pucks?? Anyone have any ideas what happened?

21. lauren says:

I made these, added a little bit more butter than required because the mixture seemed a little too dry.. also, I only had almond meal, so I used that instead of ground almonds.. they turned out AMAZING. a little pouffier than the pictures here, but still crispy and beautiful. Thanks for the great recipe!

1. uberVU - social comments - February 25, 2010

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies! http://bit.ly/akYo4G They are addictive!…

2. Two Peas & Their Pod » Orange Ricotta Cookies with Dark Chocolate - April 28, 2011

[...] Cookies from Two Peas and Their Pod Cranberry Pumpkin Ricotta Cookies from Family Fresh Cooking Orange Almond Chocolate Cookies from Evil Shenanigans Posted In COOKIES, Holiday 82 Comments / Leave a Comment » [...]