Sliders

Do you want to know the secret to super juicy burgers?  Would you believe that these juicy burgers have only two ingredients??

Caramelized Onion and Bacon Sliders

I am going to share the secret to the most juicy burgers you have ever eaten.  It is so simple.  It also goes against everything I have ever read about making juicy hamburgers.  I was a sceptic, I admit, until I tired it.  Now, I am sold and if you try it I think you will be, too!

Caramelized Onion and Bacon Sliders

The secret is salt.  That’s it.  Yes, really!  If you salt the meat at least an hour prior to cooking, and I mean salt and work it into the meat, then once cooked the burgers will be very juicy.  This works with all kinds of ground beef from 80/20, which is already quite juicy, to 96/4.  No, I’m not kidding.   Just one teaspoon of kosher salt to a pound of ground meat is all it takes.  It is so simple, but makes a tremendous difference!  Give it a try!

Sliders    Yield 8 sliders

1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup caramelized onions
4 strips bacon, cooked crisp and roughly chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheese, any flavor you prefer
Mayonnaise
Mustard
Ketchup
8 rolls (I used Hawaiian Rolls)

Caramelized Onion and Bacon Sliders

In a large bowl combine the salt with the ground meat.  Work the salt evenly through out the meat then divide the meat into eight patties.  Cover with plastic and chill for at least one hour, or overnight.

Caramelized Onion and Bacon SlidersCaramelized Onion and Bacon Sliders

Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.  Once very hot add the patties, leaving at least an inch of space between them, and cook for two minutes,  until browned.  Flip and cook for an additional two minutes, or until the meat reaches your preferred level of doneness.  (I cook mine until they reach an internal temperature of 160 F for medium well.)

Split the rolls and dress with mayonnaise and caramalized on as desired.  Place the burger on the bottom half fo the dressed roll and  top with cheese and bacon.  Dress the top of the bun with mustard and ketchup as desired and place on top of the sliders.

Caramelized Onion and Bacon Sliders

Enjoy!!

Caramelized Onion and Bacon Sliders

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Sliders”

1. Malcolm says:

These are mini hamburgers; the term slider refers to a specific cooking technique where raw onions are placed on the burger, with the bun on top during cooking. The cooking meat steams the onions and warms the top bun with onion-y goodness. Your photos, as usual, blow me away.

I don’t eat meat, but I do love your photos!

3. Yum! These look wonderful! I love caramelized onions on burgers… So tasty!

4. megan says:

I wonder if this works with venison too? I have a pound of venison in the freezer that I was planning to make burgers out of. if not, i’m still so excited to learn this! my burgers are always dry.

Megan – I have no idea, but I imagine the principal is the same. If you try it please let me know how it works out!

Malcom – Where I am from a slider is any kind of mini-burger … it is called a slider because it is so small it can just slide down your throat. Maybe it is a Texas thing? We only just got Krystal’s here in Texas a few years ago and do not have a big ‘mini-burger’ culture here.

Maria – Thank you darling!! Maybe I need to make some ‘veggie sliders’ for you?? :D

6. And here I thought sliders were named due to the fact that they were so greasy they just slid down your throat.

These don’t look greasy…they look fantastically yummy! Great pictures.

7. Kristen says:

Oh wow. These look INCREDIBLE. Caramelized onions + burgers is a perfect combo!

8. Michelle says:

My son is begging me to buy that slider pan from the infomercials! I really should just make him some little burgers. Yours look and sound great. Thanks for the tip on the salt!!

9. Two ingredients, eh? Well if that’s all there is to make a juicy burger then count me in. I’ll probably give these a try during superbowl.

10. Megan & Kelly, Mr. Hawthorne and I have made “buckburgers” and they’re delicious.

See here:

11. Great tip! I do know that salting the surface of the burger is a bad idea. But if quick curing the ground beef with salt can make the 90/10 beef edible, I’m all for it. Will definitely give this a try. Thanks, Kelly.

12. bunkycooks says:

Gotta give the salt thing a try. Maybe I will pull out the meat grinder and do burgers or sliders from scratch! Love the pics!

13. Steven Doyle says:

Try it with ground lamb. Looks wonderful, very nice pics.

Did you bake your own buns? Would love a good source for those.

14. Mags says:

I’m definitely going to try the salt trick. I had no idea this was the secret to juicy burgers. I’m always trying to add all kinds of things to burger to make them juicy and who knew that just a tsp of salt will do the trick! Thanks!

15. Memoria says:

Thanks for the tip. Now give “slide” over some of those my way! haha

16. Memoria says:

“slide”, not “give” oops!! I was distracted by the thought of eating them!

17. Sue says:

Genius advice. I can’t wait to try it.

I also never heard that definition of slider either.

18. Malcolm says:

It’s legit. Check this out: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/07/slider-defundefinedion-mini-hamburgers-onions-pickles-steam-awesomeness.html

It’s all just semantics, though. It doesn’t stop these from looking delicious.

19. Cherine says:

I am drooling!! These look deliciouuuus!!!!

20. Carsten says:

WOW! That’s what Burgers should look like! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I really feel hungry!

Cheers,

Carsten
    tasteandshare.com
    food social network * wine social network

Drool…….mmm, burger! Can I have this for breakfast?

22. Eliana says:

Salt, huh. Who would have thought I would be that simple. I will have to try because I absolutely love sliders.

23. Brad says:

just salt the meat? I’ll have to try it, thanks for the tip it certainly looks great, glad the bacon made it on top, like icing on the cake.

24. Meghan Fitz says:

I love experimenting with different toppings trying to find the perfect burger, but I haven’t stumbled upon a recipe or technique for the best patty – I have not used this salt trick before, but I will definitely try :) Thanks!!

25. A bunch of my favourite flavours right here and I totally agree re: the salt. I remember my nana and mum used to do that years ago – so glad to see it coming back as a technique for ensuring juicy burgers!

26. Blaine says:

You are right. I didn’t think the salt would draw out the juiciness like that but it sure did. You also have to love those caramelized onions.

1. Super Sunday Ideas! | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - February 5, 2010

[…] Sliders […]