Sweet and Sour Chicken

Sometimes it is all about the sauce.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

The best part of this meal is really the sauce.  It is the right combination of tangy and sweet, unlike the neon red sauces served by most Chinese carry-out places. Not to say my mixture of chicken and vegetables in this dish are not fantastic, because they are, but it is the sauce that makes this dish such a superstar.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Aside from being really good, it is really easy and fairly quick to put this meal together, making it a good weeknight meal option.  You can use whatever combination of meat and vegetables you prefer but don’t leave out the pineapple.  You could even make this meatless and it would be delicious.  I typically make a double batch of the sauce and use the left-overs to coat roast chickens, toss with baked chicken wings, and serve with egg rolls for dipping.

Sweet and Sour Chicken    Serves 4

1 cup red bell pepper, cut into 1/2″ chunks
1 cup onion, cut into 1/2″ chunks
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks
2 cups steamed white rice

Sweet and Sour Chicken Sweet and Sour Chicken

In a medium saucepan combine the water, pineapple juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, garlic, and ginger.   Bring to a boil over medium heat then reduce to a simmer and allow to reduce by half.

While the sauce reduces heat half of the vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.  Add the chicken chunks and cook until the internal temperature reaches 160F and the chicken is lightly browned.   Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.

Sweet and Sour Chicken Sweet and Sour Chicken Sweet and Sour Chicken

Add the remaining oil and once it shimmers add the bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms.  Cook until they are just tender, about three minutes.  Add the pineapple and cook until the pineapple is hot and tender, another three minutes.  Add the chicken back to the pan and heat through.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Once the sauce has reduced mix the cornstarch and water to form a slurry.  Bring the sauce back to a boil an whisk in the slurry.  Cook for thirty seconds then turn off the heat.  Pour half the sauce over the chicken mixture and toss to coat.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Serve immediately over steamed rice with the extra sauce on the side.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Sweet and Sour Chicken”

1. Elle says:

Oh, one of my all time favorites! It looks perfect to me–and I’ve seen a lot of sweet and sour chicken in my time.

2. Bob says:

I totally need to try that. Even since I stopped being a kid I couldn’t handle restaurant sweet and sour, it might as well be candy.

My dad loves this dish. I will have to make it next time he visits us.

4. You make the tastiest looking asian dishes – they make my mouth water!!

5. megan says:

There’s so many different types of sweet and sour chicken, and I love every kind! I have a recipe for breaded sweet and sour chicken on my blog that I swear tastes just like take-out (it’s not quite neon red, but close haha). This one look wonderful, and I think I’ll try it next :)

6. Who needs take out?! Sweet and sour chicken has always been on of my faves when I used to order out. You’ve brought back some fond memories. Bookmarked!!

7. Yum Yucky says:

My family going to love me when I (try) to make this for them.

Don’t you just love making Chinese “take out” at home? It’s SO much better. Your pictures are making me drool, and it’s 7:30 AM.

9. Joy says:

MMMMM nothing beats sweet and sour chicken I love that you put pineapples in yours, some people tend to leave it out. I always eat the pineapple pieces first, they are my fave :)

p.s. FG doesn’t know anything, these pictures are fantastic!

10. I’m always looking for new homemade takeout recipes to mix things up a bit. This looks phenomenal.. I’ll definitely give it a try next time!

11. Brad says:

Your right, most sauces from chinese take out joints are just aweful so its best to make your own. I like the way you made the sauce via reduction, thanks for the tasty recipe

12. Eliana says:

I always wondered why take out sweet and sour sauce is neon red. This looks waaaay better.

13. lululu says:

simple and flavourful chicken dish! love it!

14. Sauce is really important I agree! I’m always up for sweet and sour. so appetising!

1. NIGHT SWEAT » Blog Archive » sweet and sour chicken - March 7, 2010

[...] Sweet and Sour Chicken | Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog [...]

2. Sweet and Sour Chicken | Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body - August 30, 2011

[...] adapted from Evil ShenanigansServes 4 (or 2 with plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day)Sauce1 cup water3/4 cup pineapple [...]