Cheddar Bacon Muffins

Go check out TasteStopping to see my guest post about inspiration and comfort zones.  I was their very first guest blogger, and I am so excited to share this with you!!  Go, now.  The muffins will be here when you return!

I love breakfast.

Cheddar Bacon Muffins

After dessert, it is my favorite meal of the day.  (And, yes, I consider dessert a meal, and not an add-on to dinner.)  Where else can you combine sweet and savory so neatly?  One of my favorite breakfast dishes is bacon cheddar quiche.  Of course there is bacon, the king of breakfast meats, and there is cheddar cheese which adds a mouthwatering tang.

Cheddar Bacon Muffins

Those are the flavors I was thinking of when I made this muffin.  I wanted something that would be good as an on the go breakfast, or nestled in a basket for a brunch.   The muffin is just a tiny bit sweet, which is the perfect backdrop for the salty bacon and tangy cheese.  The overall taste is very similar to my favorite quiche recipe, and they bake off nice and plump.  These would also be good with some smoky BBQ, or a simple roast chicken.  Give these unique muffins a try!

Cheddar and Bacon Muffins   Yield 12

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
4 ounces coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup milk, 2% or higher
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly

Heat the oven to 400 F and prepare a muffin pan with paper liners.

Cheddar Bacon Muffins

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, and salt.   Add the bacon and cheese and toss to combine.

Cheddar Bacon Muffins

In a small bowl whisk together the milk, eggs and butter.  Pour the wet mixture over the dry and mix until the dry ingredients are just moist.  The batter will be lumpy.

Cheddar Bacon Muffins Cheddar Bacon Muffins

Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the muffins spring back when lightly pressed in the center.  Cool in the pan for three minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool.

Cheddar Bacon Muffins

Serve warm.

Cheddar Bacon Muffins

Tags: , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Cheddar Bacon Muffins”

1. Bob says:

Sweet merciful crap. Everything about those is awesome, I need to make them.

2. looks delicious as always!

3. MMM bacon & cheese in muffin form? YES PLEASE!

4. Brad says:

These would make a great breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert. Thanks for getting the bacon into the muffin, I’m impressed and suddenly hungry….

5. Those are just about the best thing I’ve ever seem. Amazing.

6. Melanie says:

I almost cried when I saw these because I gave up meat for lent and I have to wait a month to make them. WAAAHHHH!

7. Helllloooooo…muffins. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner right here. Yum!!!!

8. Yum! I’m wishing I didn’t already have plans for dinner tonight, because I’d LOVE to have these muffins for dinner. Love the guest post, too!

9. Paula says:

Ummm…YUM! Those look spectacular! congrats on the guest post too!!

10. Yes!! These sound and look amazing! And you know what – I’d happily combine your favorites and have these babies for dessert!

11. Lauren says:

I have to say these sound a bit weird something about sweetness and savouriness just isn’t quite right to me. However I do feel the need to try these, since bacon is amazing and so are muffins.

If you say these are good – who am I to argue :)

12. OMG – Neil would absolutely adore these.

13. Lisa says:

Kelly, you are so talented! Though I must admit I’d probably eat these all day long and not just for breakfast or brunch!

14. ashley says:

oh goodness, i could eat a whole batch of these! cheesy bacon goodness!

15. Eliana says:

What’s not to love when cheddar and bacon is involved. These looks awesome.

16. Bacon and Cheese Muffins – I have cooked them before and they are delicious. Like having pancakes, eggs with cheese and bacon all rolled in to the muffins. Great!

17. Victoria says:

These look so great! I love bacon in just about anything… and cheese? Don’t even go there, haha. What a great muffin. Random question, what kind of camera do you use for your photos? Do you photoshop your photos at all? I’m trying to figure out ways to take better photos in my kitchen but with poor lighting and weird backgrounds it can be difficult to get professional looking photos. Thanks :)

18. Cait says:

Hi there

I want to replace the sugar for a diabetic.What can i substitute with to retain the original consistency?

19. Amanda says:

Just made these today…so good! The bacon and the cheese are a great combo and the brown sugar adds the perfect little touch of sweetness. Thanks for the recipe!!

20. teach5 says:

Eh…followed this to the letter. Not a lot of flavor. Perhaps some chopped, fresh herb–parsley? dill? green onion?

21. Mr.Poofy says:

Hello muffin :D Wanna meet my mouth??? We will make great short friends

22. Alaine Jeter says:

I’ve made these twice. The first time I followed the recipe and they were very dense and heavy. The second time I left out the butter and they were wonderful. Just perferct!

1. Recipe: Cheesy Bacon Muffins | Mama Geek - June 21, 2012

[...] is a my adaptation of this recipe on Evil Shenanigans – I’ve converted all the measures  & terms to UK standards. [...]