Chicken Enchiladas with Chipotle Sour Cream Sauce

Fri, Mar 19, 2010

Cooking, Featured Articles, Recipes, Tex-Mex

I’ve never liked chicken enchiladas very much in Tex-Mex restaurants.

Chicken Enchiladas with Chipotle Sour Cream Sauce

The filling is mushy, the sauce is bland, and they can be a bit on the soggy side.  So, when I was thinking of recipes I could make for dinner a few nights back I wondered if I could make a chicken enchilada that I actually enjoyed.  I like a challenge so I set to work.

Chicken Enchiladas with Chipotle Sour Cream Sauce

The first change I made was to the chicken itself.  Most recipes call for shredded chicken, but I felt that added to the ‘mush’ factor, so I opted to dice mine into very small pieces.  Second, I used roasted chicken breast for the filling, not dark meat.  Third, I added a smoky kick to the sour cream sauce by added some minced chipotle pepper.  This little addition made the sauce wonderfully flavorful.  I have served these twice now at home, and gave them as a gift to friends.  The general consensus is these are the best chicken enchiladas ever.

Chicken Enchiladas with Chipotle Sour Cream Sauce   Serves 4-6

For the enchiladas:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1/2 pound)
Salt and pepper

1/2 cup diced onion
1 chipotle pepper in adobo, finely minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature

Heat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.  Place on the prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 160 F in the thickest part.  Cool, tented with foil, for twenty minutes before finely dicing the chicken.

Reduce the oven temperature to 350 F.

Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Once it shimmers add the onion and jalapeno.  Cook until they begin to soften, about three minutes.  Add the spices and cook for one minute more, or until the spices become very fragrant.

Add the Ro*Tel and garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about a minute.  Add the diced chicken and turn to coat then turn off the heat and add one cup of shredded cheese.  Set aside to cool slightly.

Wrap the toritllas in a damp towel and heat in the microwave for thirty seconds, flipping half way through.  Heat until the tortillas are warm and slightly steamy.

Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.  Fill each tortilla with the chicken filling and roll into a tube.  Place seam side down into the prepared dish.  Top with the remaining shredded cheese.  Cover the dish and bake for thirty minutes, then remove the foil and bake for ten additional minutes.

While the enchiladas bake prepare the sauce.

In a medium pan over medium heat melt the butter.  When it begins to foam add the onion and chipotle pepper.  Cook until the onion is very tender, about six minutes.   Add the garlic and cook for thirty seconds.

Chicken Enchiladas with Chipotle Sour Cream Sauce Chicken Enchiladas with Chipotle Sour Cream SauceChicken Enchiladas with Chipotle Sour Cream Sauce

Add the flour and cook for one minute before adding the chicken broth.  Whisk until the mixture is smooth and bring to a simmer.

Reduce the heat to low and add the sour cream.  Whisk until completely blended.   Cook over low heat until the sauce is warm, but do not allow the sauce to simmer or it might break.

Chicken Enchiladas with Chipotle Sour Cream Sauce

Serve the enchiladas with as much sauce as desired.

Chicken Enchiladas with Chipotle Sour Cream Sauce

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Chicken Enchiladas with Chipotle Sour Cream Sauce”

1. I’m loving that spicy sour cream. Definitely puts up a kick to an already delicious dish!!

2. Brad says:

Yum your enchilladas rock!

3. Katie says:

This is what I’m talkin’ ’bout! YUM!!!

4. Catherine says:

This looks too good! The sour cream sauce looks to die for and I’m liking the chicken pieces as opposed to shredded mush. I must try! :)

I too tend to find chicken enchiladas bland in restaurants – especially the sour cream variety. Chipotle cream, however, would SO bring these to a new level. Yum!

6. These look delicious! We love enchiladas. Have you ever made your own corn tortillas? I really want to do that.

7. Oh, yeah, the mush factor. Gotta have that! These look so good, Kelly. I hope you realize the trouble you’re creating with the instruction to serve these enchiladas with “as much sauce as desired.” :)

8. I think enchiladas are one of my favorite foods in the world… Amazing! They look phenomenal, and I love the sour cream sauce.

9. these look a million times better than anything I’ve seen in a restaurant!

10. Victoria says:

I love enchiladas! These look really great, and I think adding the sauce after they bake is a great touch to not make them too soft :)

11. Debbie Bello says:

OH, my, my, don’t these look good. I love enchiladas and can not wait to try them.

12. Karen says:

I’ll have to make these sometime. They look delicious. I am about done using shredded chicken too. The grilled and diced chicken tastes so much better in enchiladas and quesadillas.

I’ve tried other sour cream sauce recipes that were next to inedible. This recipe was excellent and one I’ll use again. I cheated and used a package of precooked fajita chicken.

14. Just made these for dinner tonight – yum, yum, yum. They were a nice change from the usual green chili sour cream enchiladas I normally make.

15. Suzy says:

I just made these, WOW!!! They are the best! Better than anything I have had in a restaurant. It was a bit complicated compared to what I usually make, but worth the effort!

16. Bailey says:

These were really yummy! I wrapped the filling in egg roll wrappers instead. I only got 8 out of the mixture. Tastes great though! I also added some shredded cheese to the sauce… I’m addicted to cheese :)

17. amie says:

Made these last night! They came out great – although I def got carried away with the Chipotle peppers and they were quite spicy. Luckily my husband and I love spicy food, hehe. Used fat free sour cream and didn’t feel quite as bad eating a “cream” sauce! Def a keeper.

18. Melissa says:

Found this on Pinterest! I am so making these asap! They look wonderful!

19. Gaylain Fife says:

OMG! Just made this for dinner tonight and it was amazing. My husband LOVED it and said I needed to make it again. It is very rare for him to make any type of comment other than “Yeah it was good”. Rarely does he suggest a remake. I did made two slight ajustments. First I bought a precooked rotisserie chicken and chopped that up instead of cooking my own chicken, just to save a little time. Then instead of using regular sour cream I used the fat free sour cream just to cut back on some of the calories. Thanks for sharing!

20. I can hardly wait to make this recipe. I have just recently discovered the joys of Chipotle in Adobo Sauce! I even mix it with mayonaise to make a dressing for salads. Do not like the crushed at all and prefer the whole ones and dice them myself. I am like some of the others and have not cared for Chicken Enchiladas. Too dry, too bland. I like the idea of using Chicken Fajitas or rotissed chicken instead of baking my own. I hope I can find more of your Mexican recipes. I LOVE Mexican food and cook it at home frequently. I am not Hispanic, so did not grow up with the food being cooked by my mom, but I might as well be, I love the food so much.

21. I made a variation on this great recipe recently and was absolutely in love. Thanks for the inspiration! (I’m going to post about it on my blog tomorrow!)

22. Barbi says:

These are so yummy! love the spicy smokey sauce – I doubled it. Thinking about adding some beans and spinach next time. thanks!!

1. uberVU - social comments - March 21, 2010

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Chicken Enchiladas with Chipotle Sour Cream Sauce – http://bit.ly/ajTmvj

2. Weekend Menu Planning » Get Healthy - February 17, 2012