‘Big Evil’ Cheeseburger

I have fond memories of fast food from childhood.

'Big Evil' Cheeseburger

I did not get fast food all that often (thanks mom for always cooking for us!!) so I remember it being a special treat, or something we had when we were short on time.  When I was very small I would get kids meals, the happy kind, but when I grew older I would get the burger that sported two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese … you know the one?  I was enamored of the sauce.  Tangy and sweet, it was the perfect cool accompaniment to a hot, juicy burger.

'Big Evil' Cheeseburger

So, I will admit that on occasion a craving for the flavors of the burger I remember so fondly from childhood will hit me like a ton of bricks.  When that happens I make this.  The dressing is really the best part.  Not to say the patty, in its juicy and well seasoned glory, is not good (because it is).  No, I am in this for the sauce.  It is, if you know your copy cat recipes, a take on a Thousand Island dressing.  I start with a scaled down version of a French Dressing and go from there.  It is exceptional on a burger.  It is also good spread on a  hot dog, or clinging to a crisp french fry.

‘Big Evil’ Cheeseburger   Serves 4

For the sauce:
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
2 teaspoons finely minced onion
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup canola mayonnaise
Salt and pepper

For the burger:
1 pound ground beef (I used 90/10)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 slices of cheese (I use American or cheddar)
4 hamburger buns, toasted
1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
1/2 cup finely sliced white onion
8 dill pickle slices
4 slices of tomato

'Big Evil' Cheeseburger 2P1011427 'Big Evil' Cheeseburger

In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the sauce expect the mayonnaise and whisk until thoroughly combined.  Add the mayonnaise and whisk until well mixed.  Chill for at least four hours, and up to a week.

2P1011192

In a medium bowl combine the ground beef, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.  Mix until the spices are well incorporated and divide into four patties.  Cover and chill for one hour.

Once rested cook on the grill over medium high heat until they reach your preferred level of doneness.   I like mine around medium.  Add the cheese to the burgers for the last few minutes of cooking to melt.

To assemble, spread sauce on both sides of the toasted bun.  On the top bun put 1/4 of the lettuce and onions.  Next add the pickles and tomato.   Place the burger patty, cheese side down, on the top bun.  Top with the bottom half of the bun.

2P1011206

Devour … and never visit the take-out window again.

2P1011219

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “‘Big Evil’ Cheeseburger”

1. C and C Dish says:

This does look eeeevil…YUM! And you don’t have to worry about me going through a drive-thru, can’t stand them! I would take this cheeseburger any day over anything you can get out of a window=}

2. Natalie says:

Yes, looks fantastic!

3. Dorothy says:

Man, does that look good! AND you have sweet potato fries? Bonus! :)

4. Oh, that is one evil tempting burger. Why, Kelly, why?!?! hahaha… I’d take angood homecooked burger over any of those fast food chains any day.

5. Those are gorgeous! Damn it, now I want burgers for dinner instead of the lamb chops I have defrosting. What have you done to me???

6. Looks delicious!!! My mouth is watering already. There is nothing more rewarding than a hamburger sometime, and if you make it home its not as bad for you as the ones you buy from chains, right???

7. Wow that looks delicious. I crave burgers way too often. I never thought of making special sauce, but my husband would appreciate it!

8. Hungry Jenny says:

I didn’t get fast food alot when I was younger either and our ‘treat’ used to be a KFC on the odd Sunday :-)

It’s cool that you’ve been able to recreate that burger – I doubt I’d be able to achieve the same trying to create the special blend of spices for finger-licking chicken though! So I still satisfy my KFC cravings with er, KFC

Hungry Jenny x

9. Richard says:

I rarely get fast food for my kids but we have had various food malfunctions. This cheeseburger looks great will give it a try soon!

10. m says:

this looks amazing I should try it for sure

11. Oh, I’ll take that anyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your food styling was so great here. I love the basket, the paper wrapped around the burger – I’m so “there” at a mom-and-pop burger shop (I’m not a fan of the place you speak so fondly of), chowing down on a good burger. Yours looks delish!

13. Bibi says:

I am not much of a burger eater, but I must say that made me wanna get a burger right now.

This is exactly how I make it at home, and will now never enter a fast food joint, as a matter of fact it has been yrs since I have entered one!

15. I just woke up after a hard night out and I can tell you that yes, I would kill for one of those burgers. Mmm.

16. We had burgers tonight and did not look nor tasted anything like this. I love the Big Mac and Whopper sauces, but knowing exactly how it’s made is so much better than any fast food out there. Thanks for a great “fast food burger recipe”!

17. Yum Yucky says:

Isn’t evil food delightful? And oh, look at those fries! Gimme.

18. Emily says:

oh you and I both know that there’s nothing evil about cheeseburgers

19. My mom always cooked for us, too… So, I have similar memories of fast food since it was a special treat when we got to eat it! This burger looks sooooo good. I shouldn’t be reading at 10pm when I’m hungry because now I REALLY want a burger :)

20. Victoria says:

Oh my! This looks amazing! Now I must have a burger, haha!!

21. yeni says:

i made these tonight and was shocked that my mayo-hating hubby loved the sauce. the burgers were yummy, thanks for the recipe!

22. Sarah E says:

I had gotten burnt out on cheeseburgers for a while from so many recipes having so many seasonings. I loved these! They had just the right amount of added in flavors, but they let the burger speak for itself. I liked the special sauce too :)

Thanks for sharing.