Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped Cream

I am a sucker for peanut butter desserts.

Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped Cream

I love peanut butter cookies, peanut butter fudge, hot peanut butter poured over ice cream, spicy peanut sauce … you name a culinary application for peanut butter and I most likely love it.  So, it should come as no great surprise that, while I found myself whisking  a chocolate filling for a chocolate cream pie, I decided to see how I could incorporate peanut butter into a cream pie.

Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped Cream

A bit of cursory research found that most peanut butter pie recipes contain whipped topping and cream cheese.  That is not what I wanted.  I wanted a silky cream pie filling, so I decided to just make my standard vanilla custard and whisk in some peanut butter.  I also decided to replace some of the butter in my graham crust with peanut butter.  Chocolate whipped cream seemed natural on top, since chocolate and peanut butter have a long standing love affair.  Who am I to stand in the way of true love?  The pie tastes like eating the best peanut butter cup ever on top of a peanut butter cookie.

Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped Cream   Serves 8 – 12

For the whipped cream:
1 pint heavy whipping cream, cold
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder, plus extra for garnish
1 teaspoon dry gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray a 9″ pie dish with non-stick spray.

Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped Cream

In a food processor add the graham crackers and pulse until they form rough crumbs, about 20 pulses.  Pour in the melted butter, peanut butter, and sugar.  Process until well blended and the crumbs are all coated.  Pour the mixture into the prepared pie dish and press the crumbs into the dish.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Cool completely.

Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped CreamPeanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped Cream

In a medium sauce pan whisk together the milk, egg, sugar, and cornstarch.  Place the pan over medium heat and whisk until the mixture starts to get warm.  Add the peanut butter and whisk the mixture until it thickens and starts to simmer.

Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped Cream

Turn off the heat and add the vanilla and butter.  Whisk until completely incorporated.  Pour the mixture through a strainer then into the prepared crust.  Smooth the top so the filling is even then lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on top.  Chill for four hours, or overnight.

When you are ready to serve prepare the whipped cream.  Pour the gelatin into the cold water and allow to stand for five minutes, or until completely bloomed.  Heat for five seconds in the microwave, making sure it is melted, and cool to room temperature.  Pour the cold cream into the bowl of a stand mixer.  Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder.  Whisk on medium low speed until the sugar and cocoa are blended in then increase the speed to medium high.  When the cream is softly whipped pour in the cooled gelatin.  Whip until the cream forms medium peaks.  Spread on top of the chilled pie.

Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped Cream

Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped Cream

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped Cream”

1. Kaitlin says:

This sounds and looks sooooo good! I know someone who would love this. Too bad he’s currently out of the country!

Your photos are great :)

2. You are killing me here Kelly! I just caught up on about 5 of your posts and each time, I thought “It can’t get any better than this!” and then you ended the week with THIS! Oy!

Loved your parmesan chicken (I can relate to the crazy speed of your life) and the honey wheat pitas but the cream of chicken soup has me thinking about a plan I might try in my cooking club at school – a taste test….

I am sorry I don’t always have time to comment but I read every word you write xoxo

3. I’m with you. I haven’t met a peanut butter anything that I didn’t like. I like that your recipe isn’t the usual cream cheese thing.

4. Adding to the must make list! Looks perfect! Happy Baking! Hope u r feelin better!

5. RLV says:

OMG. I need to try this. Thanks for sharing! I’m still drooling. Haha.

6. Jillyan says:

This looks fantastic. My husband is a peanut butter ADDICT! I can’t let him see this or he’ll nag me to make it.

7. Chef Dennis says:

wow…looks just delicious…..this is a new way to make peanut butter pie for me!!

8. Me want pie!!!! hehehe…The chocolate whipped cream on top it just the kicker to this already delicious tempting PB pie. *drool* I need to try make pie again soon. I only did it one, but mini versions. I have to take my hand at making a whole one.

9. Sasha says:

That peanut butter pie sounds and look amazing. Save a piece for me!

10. Love the adaptation of the crust!
    you photos are perfect too – love the bit of custard on the fork…

11. Cherine says:

Absolutely stunning and mouth-watering!

12. Divina says:

This dessert is very inviting and the layers are just beautiful.

13. Brad says:

Yummy for my tummy, this pie sounds and looks realy tasty. Thanks!

14. Sathya says:

Oh wow, what a brilliant idea! I couldn’t agree more, peanut butter makes anything good! I can’t wait to make this.

Oh my, Kelly, I hate you. Okay, kidding! Why must you show me such drool-worthy recipes? I really am considering breaking this “gee, I need to be good and stop eating so many sweets” rule, just so I can make this.

16. bunkycooks says:

This pie looks so incredible! The desire to eat the whole thing would come from not eating much today! Oh, yum!

17. Memoria says:

Oh, this looks good! I love the shot of the piece of pie on your fork!

18. That is like one of those dessert where everything that is great is put together in one course. Mmm mm mm! I would die for that pie right now.

19. Suzanne from the RVA says:

After reading the directions for the chocolate whipped cream topping, do you really need the gelatin? It would seem like the stabilizer you get from the sugar would suffice and the gelatin wouldn’t be necessary.

Suzanne – The gelatin makes the whipped cream stable for a longer period of time. If you did not use it the topping would break (get watery and ‘melt’) within about 24 hours. This method makes sure the topping stays nice and fluffy for longer.

21. Oh, this is an ultimate artery blocker ;) But must be worth it!

22. Tickled Red says:

Ooooo I am such a Reese’s nut and this is right up my alley! Yummmmmmm

23. Ooh… Peanut butter and chocolate is one of my favorite combinations. When I first started cooking, I used to make a peanut butter pie that my hubby *loved*… It used pudding mix and whipped topping or something like that (I forget now). This looks so much better, though, and I’m sure he’d love it!

24. That pie looks so creamy and good!

25. Wow. Absolutely sinful!

26. grace says:

the peanut butter pie i know and love is the one you mentioned making use of cream cheese and cool wHip–so good. although i’m loyal to that recipe, i can feel myself being swayed to your creation–the pictures are absolutely stunning. excellent work!

27. Elana says:

That is really cool. Chocolate whipped cream? I can’t say I’ve had it; i am about to though. I noticed you used a pie pan,not springform. I am assuming though that they both work just as good. I need some new bakeware and I always get it from a restaurant equipment online store because it’s the best deals, but if anyone has suggestions, feel free to share.

28. Evan says:

oh my goodness I just saw this on dessertstalking and this looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it out :) I absolutely love anythign peanut butter.

29. Drymar says:

This peanut butter cream pie is the real deal, with or without the chocolate whipped cream topping. There are scads of faux peanut butter pie recipes out there that are peanut butter cheesecake, which might be why someone mentioned a springform pan. Those utilize cream cheese for body, and they taste like–cream cheese with peanut butter mixed in. This is a genuine cream pie, peanut butter variety. I suppose it could have a meringue added, but the chocolate whipped cream is a fine idea. Vanilla whipped cream would be good too.

This is close to the very popular Elsie Manning peanut butter pie, invented by that fabulous cook at Manning’s Diner in Port Allegany, Pa., more than 50 years ago. I think the method is almost the same. Actually, she prepared a lot of cream pie base for the day’s output of cream pies. She divided it into several lots, and into each she put the specialty flavors and other ingredients to make coconut cream, chocolate cream, banana cream, peanut butter cream, etc. I think there was some vanilla in the base mixture. These were cooked cream pies, wonderfully smooth, not too fluffy but with lots of creamy body, with the flavor of each full and satisfying. Each piece received whipped cream when it was served, and you could ask for chocolate sauce with the peanut butter pie, vanilla cream pie or chocolate cream pie.

30. Katherine says:

any chance I could use this peanutbutter filling to fill a cupcake with?

31. Tricia says:

A couple of friends came over and made this pie with me. We loved it! The only thing was that the whipped topping was not real sweet, but I thought it was good with helping balance the sweeteness of the pie and crust. Thanks for this great recipe!

32. Oh boy! I’m going to have to make this for my husband’s birthday. He would absolutely love this pie! Yummmm! Great recipe!

33. Hannah says:

I made this pie for a game night with friends last week. It was really really delicious, but the peanut butter filling didn’t set….even after refrigerating for 6 hours. What did I do wrong??

Hannah – The only thing I can think of is that the mixture did not get hot enough, or come to a bubble, and the cornstarch did not thicken it all the way. Sorry it did not work out properly!

35. Linda Messer says:

The pie does sound good. But my mother worked for Elsie at the Canoe Place and later became hea cook herself. She made Elsies recipe for years and this one does not resemble it in anyway. Other then the peanut butter.

36. samira says:

this sounds amazin!!!!!!! can i add peanut butter to the whipped cream???

37. anickh says:

I love this PB Pie recipe because its totally scratch unlike all the pb pies that call for cool whip. they just taste way too fakey to me

1. uberVU - social comments - April 2, 2010

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans – Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped Cream – http://bit.ly/c9UhZN

2. Friday Favorites – Episode 50 | my kitchen addiction - April 9, 2010

[...] Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped Cream from Evil Shenanigans reminds me of a pie that I used to make before I really started cooking and baking. I won’t [...]

3. Katta Kvack » Länkkärlek vecka 19, 2010 - May 16, 2010

[...] älskar jag namnet och för det andra så älskar jag recepten som bjuds. Till valborg bakade jag Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chocolate Whipped Cream och den blev sanslöst god. Jag lät såsen koka lite för kort tid, vilket gjorde den en smula [...]

4. Daring Bakers Challenge: Biscuit Joconde Imprime/Entremet | Simple Math Bakery - January 27, 2011

[...] used this peanut butter filling recipe for the middle layer. It tasted heavenly but didn’t set firm enough for this dessert. [...]

5. The Pie I Had To Make « Bread & Putter - February 6, 2011

[...] second thing I love about this pie? It’s flexible. Chris & Karen got the original recipe from Kelly at Evil Shenanigans, and then they had their way with it. They added caramel sauce to the crust. I didn’t make [...]

6. Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cream Pie - May 7, 2011