Toasted Coconut and Chocolate Chip Blondies

I had a craving for coconut the other day.

Toasted Coconut Blondies

As it happens, I had some coconut in the pantry.  I also had some chocolate chips and my mind began working.  I ultimately decided on blondies.  For versatility, flavor, and general appeal you really can not beat a blondie.  Toss in some toasted coconut and some chocolate and you have a rich dessert, or a super indulgent snack.

Toasted Coconut Blondies

Toasting the coconut is key to getting the most nutty flavor from these bars.  These blondies, with out the coconut, have a light caramel flavor and the addition of the toasted coconut takes that flavor and deepens it.  The chocolate compliments those flavors, adding the dark earthy notes to the blondie.  You could easily cut these into 24 pieces, if you have a crowd to feed, and you would feel in no way deprived.  These are perfect with some dark roast coffee, or with some vanilla ice cream.

Toasted Coconut and Chocolate Chip Blondies   Yield 16

1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1-2 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup toasted coconut

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8″x8″ pan with non-stick spray.

In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt until well mixed.  Set aside.

2P1012967 2P1012968 Toasted Coconut Blondies

In a medium bowl cream together the butter and brown sugar until it begins to lighten in color.  Add the extracts and the eggs and whisk until well mixed.

Toasted Coconut Blondies2P1012971

Pour the dry ingredients over the wet and whisk until just combined.  Add the toasted coconut and chocolate chips and fold until evenly distributed.

Toasted Coconut Blondies Toasted Coconut Blondies

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges begin to come away from the sides of the pan and the center is puffed.  Cool completely in the pan.

While the blondies cool prepare the frosting.  Mix the butter with the melted chocolate.  Add the powdered sugar and cocoa and mix, adding the milk one tablespoon at a time until the frosting reaches a creamy, spreadable consistency.

2P1012975

Once cool turn the brownies out onto a cutting board.  Cover the brownies with the frosting and sprinkle the coconut over the top.  Pat the coconut gently into the frosting.  Cut into 16 bars.

Toasted Coconut Blondies

Toasted Coconut Blondies

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Toasted Coconut and Chocolate Chip Blondies”

1. oh.my.gosh. that’s not even fair! sounds like a must-make for this coming week :) do you think you could just double the recipe for a 9 x 13?

Heather – I can’t see any reason why not. I think it would be fine, it just may need a little longer in the oven.

3. Regan says:

I’m in calorie overload just looking, but it looks worth every single bite! Yum.

4. Elle says:

Oh my gosh, so gooey and delicious! I adore coconut and chocolate. These are a win-win!

I love coconut blondies, these look extra fudgy! Mmm!

6. bunkycooks says:

Oh, they look so good! I wish I could bake up a batch right now.

These are awesome, especially if you can’t decide whether to have a blondie, a brownie, or something coconut-y: These have it all! Which probably means I’d eat like 3 or 4…uh oh!

8. Stella says:

These blondies are definitely an evil shenanigan! Yum…

9. roxan says:

I’d like to jump into my monitor and eat these right now!

10. WOW… These look absolutely incredible. I want some right now!

11. Joy says:

Kelly you are a baking machine — gah..If you were my neighbor I would totally devour all of your treats hahaha — and I would start with these blondies. What could be better? coconut + chocolate chips + blondies = EPIC WIN

12. These have been calling my name all day; so no talk about how I have to make them; they are in the oven now!

My kids are older and my baking doesn’t include cookies and bars as much so wondered why I had to make them…then it hit me.

In my book, will call them Samoa Bars; so reminiscent of those Girl Scout cookies that I now worry I will down this whole batch much like I do a box of those cookies!

13. Well..it just so happens that I have some coconut and chocolate in my pantry, too. I think blondies are in order in my house this weekend. Yum!!!!

14. These look so ooey, gooey delicious!

15. Lisa says:

Oh, wow! I love the addition of chocolate chips and coconut–it reminds me of Dolly bars.

16. these look absolutely sinful. i’ll have to try them soon :)

17. Some of my absolute favourite flavours right there. Can you send me a dozen of these please?

18. grace says:

coconut? meh. toasted coconut? bring it on in excess! your blondies look supremely decadent–nice work!

19. Skylar says:

They look gooey and delicious!

20. Rick says:

I can safely say, I think I can clear the entire tray of those.

21. Brie says:

blondies are awesome! fantastic looking recipe!

22. Laura says:

Love Blondies! I will have to try this variation.

23. Michelle says:

Oh my, these look fantastic, I’ll will give them a bake very soon, mmm a nice treat to bake for our work holiday potluck.

1. Soup: Chicken and Galangal in Coconut Milk Soup (Tom Kha Gai) | Kaffir Lime Leaves for Thai Recipes - April 23, 2010

[...] Toasted Coconut and Chocolate Chip Blondies | Evil Shenanigans … [...]