Banana Bread Pudding

A few weeks ago my husband and went to see the Cherry Poppin’ Daddies.

Banana Bread Pudding

You know, the one hit wonders from the 90’s?  They were playing at the House of Blues in Dallas and I could not resist. I love swing music so much I even took swing dancing lessons in college.  We decided to go ahead and have dinner at the House of Blues before the show.  Because we had a little extra time before the show began, and because I love desserts, we decided to split the bread pudding.  It was pretty tasty, but what made it better than I expected was the addition of a little sliced banana.  That, I must say, was something I never thought of but was instantly enamoured of.

Banana Bread Pudding

So, it should come as now surprise that I wanted to make one all my own.  While coming up with the recipe I decided I needed dark brown sugar.  Bananas and dark brown sugar compliment each other so well.  The deep caramel and molasses flavors in the sugar make the bananas pop.  Serve this dessert warm out of the oven, or even at room temperature.  A scoop of vanilla ice cream would also be a lovely addition.

Banana Bread Pudding        Serves 6-8

4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups milk, 2% or higher
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla beans, or two teaspoons vanilla extract
6 cups cubed day old French bread
2 bananas, sliced
2 tablespoons sugar

Heat the oven to 350F and spray a medium casserole dish with non-stick spray.

Banana Bread Pudding

In a large bowl whisk together the butter, milk, brown sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.  Whisk to mix.

Banana Bread Pudding

Add the cubed bread and fold to coat.  Let stand for five minutes, folding the mixture occasionally to make sure the custard is evenly absorbed.  Fold in the sliced bananas.

Banana Bread Pudding Banana Bread Pudding

Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and evenly sprinkle the two tablespoons of sugar over the top.  Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and puffed all over.  Allow to stand for thirty minutes before serving.

Banana Bread Pudding

Banana Bread Pudding

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Banana Bread Pudding”

1. Eliana says:

This looks like heaven in a bowl. I especially like the big pieces of banana :) YUM!

2. i’ve been craving some really great bread pudding lately…this sounds like just the thing! add a little vanilla bean creme anglaise on top and there would definitely be some foodgasms going on :)

3. Ohhhh. Okay. I get it. I was totally picturing you using leftover Banana bread when you mentioned this the other day. This sounds and looks completely delish, but the other is an idea to consider as well… hmmmmm.

4. This looks delicious! I’m craving banana bread pudding now!

5. Joy says:

That is a great twist to bread pudding. My brother would love this recipe.

6. haha how fun to re-live a fun time from the past! Your re-creation of the dessert looks SUPERB!

I always have too many bananas, great recipe! This one will come in handy.

8. Cristina says:

Ooh! I am so looking forward to trying this..already saved as a favorite! I love banana whatevers and have been looking for a good banana bread pudding since I had an amazing one at Botero’s in Las Vegas. Looks delicious…thanks for sharing! =)

9. This looks awesome!! Can’t wait to try it :)

I remember hearing about that concert on Kid Kraddick–I bet it was a good show!!

10. C and C Dish says:

Oh my, this looks so wonderfully delicious! I will have to give this a try, thanks for sharing!

11. Cherine says:

This pudding is so tempting!

12. Ricbi says:

Thanks for the recipe, I love bread pudding and my kids love banana so I will try this one out next sunday :-)

13. looks delicious! sounds so warm and satisfying and…its making my mouth water already!

14. That is such a homey and comforting dessert, just what I needed right now. Looks delish

This sounds great! I’m in love with anything banana. And I love that little dish that looks like a ceramic basket!

16. Emma Watson says:

Hmmm, that looks really tasty and seems to be easy to prepare. Maybe I could even prepare it with my toddler – he could mix everything :-) Thanks to your recipe I am already looking forward to the weekend.

17. Yum! I’m a fan of bread pudding… I bet this would be amazing with some chocolate, too!

18. Stephanie says:

oo la la! I just made this today for brunch and added banana to my bread pudding too! It was super yummy in our tummies :) Check out my version in a couple of days when I post it!

19. ingrid says:

We LOVE bread pudding, especially banana bread pudding so, I’m always on the lookout for new recipe(versions) to try. Thanks for sharing yours.
    ~ingrid

20. Liz says:

I tried this recipe last night and used 1% milk, because that’s what I had on hand. I wanted to let you know that it is my new bread pudding recipe! Both the husband and I very much enjoyed it, especially when topped with banana pudding-flavored ice cream. Thank you for sharing this one with us! If you like a little more crunch to it, you can use raw sugar instead of regular, and if topping it with ice cream, throw a few walnuts on top. Delicious.

21. weekend baker says:

I made this today and it is absolutely delicious. I followed the recipe to a tee — except I used some sourdough loaves I needed to get rid of, and I sprinkled a few tablespoons of almond flour and a little ground flax seed into the mixture. I think this would also be good with golden raisins.

22. Donna says:

This was fantastic! I left out the nutmeg but otherwise no changes. I baked them in individual Pyrex dishes and oh my, they were yummy! Thanks so much for this recipe.

1. Tweets that mention Banana Bread Pudding | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - May 25, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Laura West, Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans, Cat and others. Cat said: RT @bakingblog: Banana Bread Pudding: A few weeks ago my husband and went to see the Cherry Poppin’ Daddies.    You know, the one … http://bit.ly/bD7o7c […]

2. Kneaders Raspberry Bread Pudding | Bread Pudding Recipe | Two Peas and Their Pod - September 20, 2010

[…] Bread Pudding from Baking Bites Banana Bread Pudding from Evil Shenanigans Blueberry Bagel Bread Pudding from Sugar […]

3. Banana Bread Pudding « Black Martha - June 27, 2011

[…] Banana Bread Pudding adapted from Evil Shenanigans […]

4. Perfectly Good Excuse to Make Banana Bread Pudding! « Stylish Piggy - September 6, 2011

[…] bananas foster but the liquor cabinet is bare, not a drop of dark rum in sight,  so this lovely banana bread pudding from evilshenanigans.com will certainly satisfy my craving!  I am gonna make this recipe even more […]

5. Cooking with Ian! Vegan Bread Pudding! | Best Vegan Recipies - October 10, 2011

[…] Spotlight: Bread Pudding at Famous Dave’sBanana Bourbon Bread Pudding — Joy the BakerBanana Bread Pudding var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-10699154-37']); […]