Chocolate Mousse Cake

Often simple desserts are better than complicated ones.

Chocolate Mousse Cake

That is not to say that the flavors are simple.  What I mean is that the dessert itself is made of only a few very well constructed components.  This mousse cake is an example of this.  Tender cake fluffy, rich mousse, and a light dusting of powdered sugar are all you need to create something very impressive.  Well, maybe a few well placed berries would not go amiss.

Chocolate Mousse Cake

The mousse should be made first so it can completely set up while the cake bakes and cools.  You could frost this cake if you wanted, or pour some warm ganache over the top but it does not need it.  The mousse is rich enough, and the cake is moist enough, that frosting or ganache might actually take away from the delicate flavors.  You can make this a day in advance, just let it sit at room temperature for thirty minutes before cutting.

Chocolate Mousse Cake      Serves 8

1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
3 tablespoons water

Begin by preparing the mousse.

Chocolate Mousse Cake

In a double boiler melt the chocolate with the water until smooth.  Set aside to cool slightly.

Chocolate Mousse Cake

In a small bowl combine the egg yolks with the liqueur and vanilla.  Pour this into the chocolate mixture and whisk to combine.

Chocolate Mousse Cake

In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whip attachment, whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt until they begin to foam.  Gradually add the sugar and whip until they form medium peaks.   Move to a clean bowl and set aside.

In the same bowl you whipped the egg whites in add the cream and whip until the cream holds medium peaks.

Chocolate Mousse Cake Chocolate Mousse Cake Chocolate Mousse Cake

Add 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and fold in to lighten.  Continue adding egg whites, 1/3 at a time, until they are completely folded in.  Add the whipped cream in two additions and fold into the chocolate mixture.  Cover the mixture and chill for at least two hours.

While the mixture chills prepare the cake.

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8″ pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt until well mixed.  In a separate bowl whisk together the butter, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and water.  Pour the wet into the dry and whisk until smooth.

Chocolate Mousse Cake Chocolate Mousse Cake

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and the center springs back when lightly pressed.  Cool ten minutes in the pan before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Mousse Cake Chocolate Mousse Cake Chocolate Mousse Cake

To assemble the cake begin by cutting the cake in half.  Place one half of the cake, cut side up, on a cake board or plate.  Use parchment paper, or wax paper, to form a ring around the cake.  Secure with tape.  Pipe the chilled mousse into the cake, making sure to pipe it in an even layer.  Top with the second half of the cake cut side down.

Chocolate Mousse Cake

Chill the cake for two hours before removing the parchment paper ring.  Allow to sit at room temperature for thirty minutes before cutting.  Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.

Chocolate Mousse Cake

Enjoy with fresh fruit.

Chocolate Mousse Cake

*Please note, this recipe contains raw or undercooked eggs and should not be eaten by those with health problems, young children, pregnant women, or the infirm.

Tags: , , , , ,

52 Responses to “Chocolate Mousse Cake”

1. Now THAT is calling my name ; ) Just scrumptious!

2. Give me some NOW! Beautiful.

3. aaand now I’m craving mousse. This looks unbelievably good.

4. holy crap that looks good! moaning ensued just by looking at the photos alone!

Beautiful cake. I love the mousse filling.

6. That looks absolutely divine… must… have… a …. sliiiiice.

7. Mollie says:

Wow. When I saw this come up on my reader, I actually said *out loud* OH MY GOODNESS.

This cake looks awesome – good work!

8. Your cake is lovely, and I can only imagine how amazing it must taste!

9. Chocolate mousse has been one of my favorite desserts since I was a little girl. This recipe is absolutely over the top! I can’t wait to try it.

10. Perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee – YUM

11. Wow, this looks superb! I love light and airy desserts…especially when they contain chocolate mousse! I will definitely give this a try this summer and thanks for the tip about wrapping the cake in parchment. makes so much sense!

12. That is chocolate heaven!!! Wonderful looking dessert.

13. marye says:

fantastic. What time are you bringing it over?

14. Megan says:

This cake is beautiful! I love the chocolate cake on the bottom and the top. And I can tell that is a nice thick, creamy mousse. Gorgeous job! For a variation, you might want to check out the triple chocolate mousse cake I posted on my blog.

15. Victoria says:

Oh wow! This looks sooooo good :) I think I need some chocolate, stat!

16. Adam the Home Baker says:

This looks amazing, will defo be trying it! Although i’m a bit concerned about tracking down some “Dutch-processed cocoa powder” lol.
    Might just have to try something similar

17. Jeanne says:

Chocolate heaven on a plate! I wish I was your taste-tester!

18. bunkycooks says:

The mousse looks so creamy and rich…This is a beautiful chocolate cake.

19. Paula says:

YUM! looks divine! Double chocolatety deliciousness:)

20. Jennifer says:

This cake looks amazing. I love chocolate mousse, so I’m gonna have to give this a try.

21. Pilar says:

Sounds and looks amazing!

22. Sommer says:

Mmmmmmm! Looks like heaven!

23. Marly says:

What beautiful pics! Looks almost too good to eat…

24. Oh That is such a gorgeous slice of heaven! beautiful job, and I can tell that mousse is so fluffy! Evil cake…

25. roxan says:

Kelly this doesn’t look simple at all! I am totally impressed.

26. Esi says:

I want this…now

27. That looks lovely. Thank you for taking us through the process step by step with photos to help us understand how to make it.

We’re hosting another giveaway this week over at my blog so I hope you enter. I bet you could do something great with that product.

28. Valerie says:

Gorgeous! The trick with the parchment paper ring is brilliant – thanks for sharing that. I doubt I would have thought of that and my cake would have been sliding all over! :) Definitely have this recipe down as a “must try.”

29. Michelle says:

Oh my gosh, this looks positively amazing.

Please send me a slice, ASAP!

31. joanna says:

This looks so delicious and I’d love to make it. Would the recipe require any changes for high altitude cooking?

32. That looks so rich and moist. I would love to have myself a nice of that cake right about now. I’m in need of a chocolate fix.

33. Mags says:

Ohhh…. you are evil! This looks sinfully good!

34. Those are very yummy looking. Serves 8 but eaten my one, me!!

I really need to try this recipe out.

35. julia says:

Ding dang this looks good!

36. Fuji Mama says:

OH YUM! I’m with you–often the dishes made up of a few simple ingredients/components are the best. They aren’t muddled and just celebrate great flavors! This seriously looks fantastic.

37. Memoria says:

It looks lovely! Great process photos.

38. jo says:

Looks absolutely gorgeous and full of chocolate. I would so love to try this out.

39. Cherine says:

This cake is irresistible!!

40. Yum Yucky says:

My stomach is getting full from just looking at all the pics today.

41. Steph Brauer says:

Wouldn’t a springform pan work for assembling this? Planning on making it for a family fish fry this weekend! Curious…

Steph – Yes, you could use a Springform pan if you have an 8″ one. I did not, so I had to improvise! :)

43. Shree says:

44. Crystal says:

What decadence! I feel like I gained 5 lbs by looking at the pictures, lol.

45. Eliana says:

So decadent! Love it.

46. Chrissi says:

I just made this cake, it was AMAZING!!! greatest cake ever. fo sho.

47. FlimFlam129 says:

OK so I made this a few days ago – I was looking everyone for a choc mousse recipe to try out and wow this was it! I skipped the chocolate cake part b/c I had my own recipe but next time may try it out too. The mousse was fantastic, taste and texture was great. I had to make some changes b/c I had semi sweet chocolate instead of dark, so i adjusted the sugar content so it wasn’t too sweet. This is a keeper recipe for me, thank you for the great instructions.
    PS the parchment paper did not work for me because i was too impatient to try it and should’ve waited for the mousse to set longer :) Lesson learned hehe.
    PPS def don’t overwhip the cream (now i know what she means by medium peaks vs stiff peaks!) – it makes it harder to blend into the chocolate batch when you’re folding it.
    I wanted to post this b/c most replies I’ve seen aren’t from people that actually used the recipe, so for the next person I want them to know the mousse part at least is definitely wonderful! Easy recipe, simple steps, a little time consuming, but sooo worth it. Thanks.

48. Suellyn says:

This was excellent! Show stopper for Thanksgiving yesterday. Thank you for the recipe. It was a two person job. Cutting in half and moving it without it breaking. Have you tried making in 2 pans, with one being a springform, so not to have to do the parchment wrap? Just a thought. The cake was moist and looked beautiful.

1. Tweets that mention Fresh Shenanigans! Chocolate Mousse Cake! -- Topsy.com - May 10, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Oxford Falls and Evil Shenanigans, Barbara Kiebel. Barbara Kiebel said: RT @oxfordfalls RT @bakingblog Fresh Shenanigans! Chocolate Mousse Cake! http://bit.ly/cvfgXR <Didn't know it was Bullwinkle's Birthday-HA! [...]

2. Popularity » Blog Archive » chocolate mousse cake pictures - June 10, 2011

[...] Chocolate Mousse Cake | Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog May 10, 2010 … ooohhh it is high time I made a chocolate mousse cake…. your pictures are sooo tempting! … [...]

3. Chocolate Mousse Cake « life in green - April 29, 2012

[...] used the cake and assembly instructions from this recipe.  And I used this recipe for the egg-free chocolate [...]