Coconut Curry Braised Short Ribs

I love coconut curries.  They are common on Thai menus and I adore their rich, creamy, and spicy flavors.

Coconut Curry Braised Short Ribs

Thai flavors have become rather common in my kitchen in recent years.  After I have my first bite of Pad Thai nearly ten years ago I became almost obsessed with trying new dishes and deconstructing them so I could make them at home.  Some of the attempts have been successful.  Other, not so much.  So, when I was wondering how to flavor some short ribs I thought instantly of a coconut curry.   It was the right call.  The richness of the meat is enhanced by the earthy curry and creamy coconut milk, but the dish avoids being too rich because of the brightness from the lemongrass and lime juice.  (I used lime juice because since February Kaffir lime leaves have vanished from the shops.  I miss them and pray for their return!  If you have them or can find them please, feel free to use them here.)

Coconut Curry Braised Short Ribs

Making this in the slow cooker means this can be an everyday meal, not just a special occasion dinner.  With my schedule having something that tastes this good but requires minimal effort is something to be treasured.  You can prepare all the ingredients the night before and in the morning just dump it all into a slow cooker and go about your day.  When you come home just make some rice and you are done!  Trust me, after a long day and an even longer commute home this dish will bring a tear of joy to your eyes!

Coconut Curry Braised Short Ribs    Serves 6

3 cloves garlic, crushed with the side of a knife
1 cup sliced onion
1/4 cup fresh lime juice*
2 – 1 inch strips lime zest*
2 tablespoons brown sugar
* or 4 fresh Kaffir lime leaves

In a heavy skillet over high heat add the vegetable oil.  Season the short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper.  Brown the ribs on all sides in the hot skillet.

Coconut Curry Braised Short Ribs

In the insert of your slow cooker combine the remaining ingredients.  Add the seared short ribs and cook for 8 hours on low.  Remove the shorts ribs and strain the braising liquid.

Coconut Curry Braised Short Ribs

Serve the short ribs over rice with some of the sauce.  If you are feeling bold add a little toasted coconut for a garnish.

Coconut Curry Braised Short Ribs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Coconut Curry Braised Short Ribs”

1. What a different take on short ribs! That just sounds fabulous.

2. i almost had tears of joy streaming down my cheeks…these look PHENOMENAL. bring-me-to-tears kind of good. holy YUM!

3. Shree says:

my goodness, this is a sureshot recipe to make. Thanks for sharing!

4. Helllllloooooo short ribs!!!! I want some. Please, oh please!! :) I actually had some this week, but they were more the Hawaiian version.

5. P says:

My husband would go crazy over these ribs! I love the all the spices especially the curry!

6. What a great slow cooker meal!

7. Claudia says:

These are indeed luscious. I love how you prepared a hands-off way to cook them – let the slow cooker do it. The photos are enticing!

8. Tamar says:

Beautiful! I never thought of curry as being a slow-cooker dish. Yum!

9. Isabelle says:

One of my favourite restaurants serves a similar short rib appetizer using Korean-style ribs, which are cut thin and across the bones, but I love the idea of using the more substantial single ribs instead… I might just have to dust off the slow cooker so that I can give this a try!

10. Eliana says:

I love, love, love slow cooked anything, especially beef. This looks super delicious.

11. Yum Yucky says:

Whew! That’s one beautiful piece-O meat slab. And how I can make it myself. :)

12. I love braised short ribs! Ahh, how the meat just falls apart… The coconut curry is unique, and I must say I look forward to trying this out!

13. Lily says:

I made your recipe tonight and it turned out absolutely terrific. My dinner guests and I loved the complex flavors!

14. Erina says:

I’m new to short ribs, but made these the other night and they were pretty delicious! Not the quickest meal, but yummy nonetheless.

Easy Short Ribs Braised in Red Wine

I would never think to try them with curry though…will definitely be trying out your recipe next time. Thanks!

1. Tweets that mention Coconut Curry Braised Short Ribs | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - May 14, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, leontinker. leontinker said: RT @bakingblog Fresh Shenanigans! Coconut Curry Braised Short Ribs http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2010/05/coconut-curry-braised-short-ribs/ [...]

2. Cleaving and Craving Braised Short Ribs | The Blog That Ate Manhattan - August 23, 2010

[...] Evil Shenanigans makes coconut curry braised short ribs. [...]