Blueberry Crumb Muffins

All too often blueberry muffins are a disappointment.

Blueberry Crumb Muffins

Blueberry muffin recipes are often too dry, not fluffy enough, stained violet, or all the berries sink to the bottom.   The struggle for the perfect blueberry muffin led me through a gauntlet of unhappiness and bad muffins, but I am happy to report that I won the battle.  This recipe produces a tender muffin with an even distribution of berries.  To make these muffins even better I added a buttery crumb topping, because nothing makes me happier than excess.

Blueberry Crumb Muffins

There are two tricks to making perfect blueberry muffins.  First, as with any muffin, over-mixing will make your muffins like little rocks.  I fold my ingredients together, and then I only mix until the dry ingredients are just moist.  Lumps are perfectly acceptable in a muffin batter and will bake out.   Second, coat your berries in a little flour, and add them half way through folding the wet and dry ingredients together.   The flour, as you may know, helps to keep the berries from sinking.  The batter is also fairly thick, so between the viscosity of the batter and the coating on the berries they stay pretty well in place.  These freeze beautifully, so make a batch on Sunday and you have breakfast all week!

Blueberry Crumb Muffins     Yield 12

2 tablespoons flour

For the crumb topping:
2 tablespoons butter, cold
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat the oven to 375 F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.

Begin by making the crumb topping.

Blueberry Crumb Muffins Blueberry Crumb Muffins

In a small bowl mix the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon until well mixed.  Add the butter and rub it in until the mixture resembles coarse sand.  Cover and chill until ready to use.

Blueberry Crumb Muffins

In a small bowl add the blueberries and 2 tablespoons of flour.  Toss until the berries are evenly coated.  Set aside.

Blueberry Crumb Muffins

In a large bowl add the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Whisk until the mixture is well blended.  Set aside.

Blueberry Crumb Muffins

In a medium bowl whisk the oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla until well mixed.

Blueberry Crumb Muffins Blueberry Crumb Muffins

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold them together.  When most of the flour is moist add the blueberries and fold to incorporate evenly.

Blueberry Crumb Muffins Blueberry Crumb Muffins

Scoop the batter evenly between the 12 cups.  Top each with the crumb mixture.  Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until the muffins spring back when gently pressed in the center and the tops are golden brown.  Cool in the pan for three minutes before turning them out on a wire rack to cool completely.

Blueberry Crumb Muffins

Blueberry Crumb Muffins

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Blueberry Crumb Muffins”

1. Brad says:

Yum, they look fantasic and I like the designer muffin cup.

2. Eliana says:

This is one stunning looking muffin.

3. Wow-I love that these aren’t loaded with butter! Thanks for sharing–they look divine!

4. Great tips. The crumbly part is perfection.

5. Leanne says:

“because nothing makes me happier than excess.”

Ha! Me, too. Will definitely be making these. Thank you!

6. HoneyB says:

Yum! I am so much a blueberry fan. Your muffins look delicious!

7. Devon says:

Just bought a fresh pack of blueberries that need a home. This looks like a nice place for them to live. I wonder if whole wheat flour will work.

8. Oh how I wish I’d seen this recipe last week before I made blueberry muffins! I had a vision of what I wanted them to be like, and they were just like yours. Sadly, the recipe I used didn’t allow mine to look like yours. I’ll have to try them again using your recipe. When I do I’ll post them on my blog http://www.madewithpink.com and let you know how they turn out!

9. Simply Life says:

oooh those muffins look great!

10. Sara says:

These look gorgeous, and I love your muffin wrappers.

11. Ooooo…blueberry goodness!!!

12. These muffins look wonderful! Yum!

13. Julie Trekker says:

Just finished up a batch of your recipe, only used my mini loaf pan. The house smells amazing, my fiance is drooling and we can’t wait till they cool to try one! Thanks for the recipe and detailed how-to!

14. Jennifer says:

So excited to find your site and all the yummy desserts! Good luck in the contest!

15. kim says:

tried your recipe after the first one off foodgawker i tried left much to be desired. it’s the perfect muffin. much thanks to you!

Kim – So glad you enjoyed it!

17. Franky says:

Excellent!! Great instructions and tips for just right results. Made these into a crumb cake by doubling the amounts and cooking in a 9×13 Pyrex pan greased with Pam and baked for about double the time till a tooth pick came out dry. Lots of complements from my firehouse full of sweet tooth firefighters!

18. Yum Yucky says:

My daughter will FLIP over this recipe!! And then I’ll ask her to make it for us. She possesses baking powers beyond my own.

19. Katie says:

These are the BEST Bluberry muffins ever!!! I just made them and my family devoured them! I will definitely be using this recipe again! Thank you!

20. Daniel says:

Just made a batch of muffins similar to these last Sunday!

Great minds think alike! ;)

They look incredible.

21. Aileen says:

I’ve just whipped up a batch of these muffins and ate one fresh out of the oven. These are the best blueberry crumb muffins I’ve had ! This is a very forgiving recipe; I accidentally added 1/3 (instead of 1/4) cup oil. My lemon juice and milk substitute for buttermilk did not curdle and I decided to add a huge-ish dollop of yogurt to the milk-juice mixture. Despite the un-planned changes to the recipe, the muffins still emerged from the oven gloriously domed, tender and yummy !

Coating the berries with the flour worked well to help ‘suspend’ the berries in the batter.

22. Grace says:

I made these muffins a few weeks ago, and they were a big hit! Just now I finished sampling a new batch, but this time I substituted berries for chocolate chips. They were still fantastic!

23. Dorothy says:

I Never have made a moister Blueberry muffin. I have made them over and over again and they do not dissappoint! Absolutely amazing!

24. Joan says:

I made these muffins last night for the second time and they are so good!!!!

25. Jennifer says:

I just made these with a couple modifications (due to what I had on hand), and OMG. Best I’ve made yet. Here’s my mods:

1 1/4 cups whole what flour (and just 3/4 all purpose)
    7 oz almond milk (instead of 1 c. buttermilk)
    1 1/4 cups blueberries (instead of just 1 cup; I didn’t want to toss the remaining 1/4 cup, as these were a couple weeks old already)

And, I left off the topping because my butter was frozen solid and I didn’t want to wait.

Really very, very tasty. Especially warm. :)

1. Tweets that mention Blueberry Crumb Muffins | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - June 21, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans and Evil Shenanigans, Jennifer Day. Jennifer Day said: My hero! RT @bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans: Blueberry Crumb Muffins – http://bit.ly/cyRCcq Muffin lovers rejoice! [...]