Coconut Curry Shrimp with Spicy Peanut Noodles

When I get a craving for something I want instant satisfaction.

Coconut Curry Shrimp with Peanut Noodles

Ask anyone who had ever accompanied me to an amusement park, waited with me in line, or sat with me while we waited for a table at a restaurant.  Patience is not one of my virtues.  In fact, I get down right testy when forced to wait against my will.   So, when a craving for a creamy Thai coconut curry hit I  knew I needed something that I could have on a plate, and subsequently in my mouth, as quickly as possible.  (My craving, by the way, can be blamed directly on my friend Leela at She Simmers.  Her site, which features lots of lovely Thai recipes and even lovelier pictures, is too yummy.  I should know better than to be looking at her site when I am hungry!)

Coconut Curry Shrimp with Peanut Noodles

Not only did I make a quick coconut curry sauce with plump, tender shrimp, I added to that some spicy peanut noodles that were just as speedy to make a complete meal.  From start to finish you can have this dish on your table in around 20 minutes.  The coconut curry sauce is a delicate balance between sweet, tangy, and spicy.  Coconut milk thickens the sauce and helps it cling to the shrimp, and believe  me you want that.  The egg noodles, coated with the nutty, slightly spicy peanut sauce, are a lovely compliment to the tangy shrimp.  Fancy enough for company, yet easy enough for a weeknight, you don’t even need a curry craving to enjoy this dish.

Coconut Curry Shrimp with Spicy Peanut Noodles    Serves 4

For the noodles:
1 pound fresh thin egg noodles
2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (natural preferred)
1 tablespoon Sriracha

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon red curry paste
2 teaspoons Sriracha
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions.  Drain and rinse with cold water.  Set aside.

Coconut Curry Shrimp with Peanut Noodles

In a medium sauce pan combine the vegetable broth, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, onion, lime juice, sesame oil, peanut butter, Sriracha, and curry paste.  Whisk over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil.  Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for ten minutes.

While the sauce simmers begin the shrimp.

Coconut Curry Shrimp with Peanut Noodles

In a deep saute pan heat one tablespoon of the oil over medium heat until it shimmers.  Add the shrimp and cook for 30 seconds per side, or until they begin to turn pink and start to curl.  Remove from the pan and set aside.

Coconut Curry Shrimp with Peanut Noodles Coconut Curry Shrimp with Peanut Noodles Coconut Curry Shrimp with Peanut Noodles

Add the second tablespoon of oil and when it shimmers add the garlic, ginger and onion.  Cook until they start to soften and become fragrant, about one minute.  Add the coconut milk, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, curry paste, and Sriracha and mix well.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the sauce reduces and thickens, about five minutes.

Coconut Curry Shrimp with Peanut Noodles

Add the shrimp back into the sauce and toss to coat.  Cook for 30 to 45 seconds, or until the shrimp are cooked through and hot, then turn off the heat.  Allow to stand for three minutes so the sauce can thicken.

To finish the peanut sauce raise the heat to medium and bring the sauce back to a boil.  Add half the cornstarch mixture and whisk until thickened, about one minute.  If you want the sauce thicker add the remaining cornstarch mixture.  (I use the full tablespoon)  Place the egg noodles in a bowl and pour the sauce over.  Toss to coat.

Coconut Curry Shrimp with Peanut Noodles

Garnish with the fresh cilantro.  Enjoy!

Coconut Curry Shrimp with Peanut Noodles

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Coconut Curry Shrimp with Spicy Peanut Noodles”

1. JulieD says:

Yum! So glad you posted so quickly! I am slow to post my kitchen creations. :)

2. Tanantha says:

I love curry! You did such a great job here and the peanut noodles compliment really well with the curry. If the dish were a language, you had spoken Thai food! :)

3. Brie says:

mmmm, so many wonderful flavors – looks delicious!

4. Oh my that looks good. I want it NOW!

5. This looks lovely. I have those moments too, cravings. Your recipe is a keeper.

6. Irada says:

This look delicious and colourful.

7. Hungry Jenny says:

Wow, what an amazing colour! I definitely want to try this out (perhaps minus the spice!), my mouth was watering from just reading about it :-)

Hungry Jenny x

8. Carol Egbert says:

This looks very, very tasty. Thanks for a great post!

9. looks mouth watering!
    Now, shrimp is not my favorite fish–at all. So I rarely prepare it but my husband loves it. I see in your picture you left the tails on..why?

10. Lauren says:

This looks and sounds ah-mazing! Gorgeous dish :).

11. yum! I love coconut curries! That second photo is gorgeous.

12. Eliana says:

The flavors in this dish are absolutely incredible.

13. Michele says:

Can you buy egg noodles at the supermarket, or do you need to go to a specialty store? What section would I find them? This dish looks delicious and I really want to make it!!

14. Jean says:

This looks so good and so easy to make. No wonder you made Top 9, congrats!

I’ve bookmarked this for future reference. Thanks!

15. Chef Dennis says:

what a perfect meal, the way that sauce clings to the shrimp is a thing of beauty!! not only is it delicious but your image is almost 3D….what a great job!
    Congrats on the top 9!!

16. Debbie says:

This sounds amazing! I have just gotten into cooking Thai dishes and this will be perfect for a weekday dinner in a rush, thanks! Oh and I totally understand about the no patience, that’s me too!

17. Shirley says:

This looks so good!!

18. That just looks sooo darn good and I so love the name Evil Shenanigans.

Keep up the great work. Congrats on top 9!!

All of my most favorite flavors! Yum!

20. That is some tasty looking shrimp! I really like using peanut butter on savoury dishes like this!

21. Shree says:

looks absolutely delicious and slurrrrpy :))

22. Pam says:

What a beautiful looking dish!

23. Rebecca says:

This sounds so amazing! I do not have any shrimp in the pantry though, do you think it will work out as good with chicken.

24. Jen says:

This sounds decadent!

25. Devin says:

I made this for dinner last night, except with chicken instead of shrimp and absolutely no measuring (I just can’t do it) and it was all delicious — the boyfriend said I can make this every day for him! Thanks for the recipe!

26. Jinglebellbird says:

We made this last night. AWESOME! We will definitely be making it again.

27. Amelia says:

Thank you so much for this amazing recipe! I made it last night and it was DELICIOUS! I’m going to share it with all my friends. It truly tasted as good if not better than something I would have got at a Thai restaurant.

1. Tweets that mention Coconut Curry Shrimp with Spicy Peanut Noodles | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - July 22, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, rob maya. rob maya said: Good monring and Thank you! RT @bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans – Coconut Curry Shrimp with Spicy Peanut Noodles – http://bit.ly/aCqtqL [...]

2. The Wholestyle Network » Blog Archive » Spicy Peanut Noodles & Coconut Curry Shrimp - August 6, 2010

[...] Coconut Curry Shrimp with Spicy Peanut Noodles [Evil Shenanigans] [...]