Strawberry Nutella Crumb Bars

“Success is sweet and sweeter if long delayed and gotten through many struggles and defeats.”Amos Bronson Alcott

Strawberry Nutella Bars

I do not often discuss the struggles I go through testing and re-testing recipes because I am not sure how interesting my development process is to you all.  Some recipes come together with one try, but those are sadly few and far between.  Others, like this recipe, make me want to tear out my hair, weep, cry, and eventually give up blogging and move to Phi Phi Island.  However, the struggle was worth it in the end because what I came up with is well worth the effort.

Strawberry Nutella Bars

I struggled with the crust.  I tried some variations on a chocolate short crust pastry that either overcooked and became dry, or was too moist and flavorless.  I opted instead for chocolate wafer cookies.  They have the right texture, crisp and crumbly, and they have plenty of flavor.  Combine that crust with the sweet berries, creamy Nutella, and the buttery topping and you have an over-the-top bar experience.

Strawberry Nutella Crumb Bars    Yield 24

For the crust:
1 – 9 ounce box chocolate wafer cookies, or chocolate graham crackers, finely crushed
1/4 cup sugar
1 stick butter, melted

For the filling:
1 cup diced strawberries
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup Nutella

For the topping:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
3 tablespoons butter, cold
Pinch of salt

Heat the oven to 350 F.  Spray a 8×8″ pan with non-stick spray, line with parchment paper leaving a three inch over hang on each side, and spray that with non-stick spray.

Strawberry Nutella Bars Strawberry Nutella Bars

In a large bowl combine the cookie crumbs, sugar and butter  and stir until all the crumbs are coated with the butter.  Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press it out evenly.  Bake for 10 minutes.

While the crust bakes prepare the filling and the topping.

Strawberry Nutella Bars Strawberry Nutella Bars

For the filling combine the strawberries with the sugar and allow to stand for ten minutes.  Drain off half of the liquid, then add the cornstarch and vanilla.  Stir to combine.

Strawberry Nutella Bars Strawberry Nutella Bars

For the topping combine the sugar, salt, and flour until evenly mixed.  Rub the butter in with your fingers until the mixture is coarse and crumbly and no large pieces of butter remain.  Refrigerate for ten minutes.

Strawberry Nutella Bars Strawberry Nutella Bars

Heat the Nutella in the microwave for ten seconds, or until it thins out slightly.  Pour the Nutella over the prepared crust and carefully spread it to the edges of the crust.  Evenly distribute the strawberries, then the crumb topping.

Strawberry Nutella Bars

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the topping is crisp and the berries are bubbling all over.  Allow to cool completely in the pan before using the parchment to carefully lift the bars out of the pan.  Cut into bars.

Strawberry Nutella Bars

Strawberry Nutella Bars

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Strawberry Nutella Crumb Bars”

These look amazing! Sorry I have been MIA-life has gotten out of control. Miss you and your treats:) Can’t wait to make these!

2. These look REALLY good! I always seem to have trouble with bar cookies like this when I’m recipe testing… There’s a delicate balance! Glad to see you persevered with these!

3. You’re a perfectionist…I would be happy to try your “attempts”.

4. Jillyann says:

Trial and error can be a real pain. Oddly enough, fresh strawberries are a culprit of many a flopped baked product. LOL…you’ll have to read about my adventure with Brown Sugar Strawberry Pound Cake…that evil gremlin! In any event, you obviously succeeded and now that you have nutella AND strawberries…may I come over for dessert and coffee???

5. What a fancastic idea! The pictures are beautiful (and helpful so I can see what it’s supposed to look like!) Thank you for sharing this!

6. Helene says:

These look so delicious! Can’t wait to try them on my own. :)

7. Joy says:

Completely understandable. I go through multiple versions of a recipe until I get it just right. It looks great.

8. Cherine says:

This looks really tempting!

9. Lisa says:

Anything Nutella is delicious! Great recipe.

10. Esi says:

These bars look absolutely amazing! I love strawberries and Nutella together. I will be making these soon.

11. Simply Life says:

Oh my, that looks dangerously good! :)

12. Eliana says:

YUM, YUM, YUM – this looks amazing.

13. P says:

Looks like you got this one right, yum!

14. Food Lover says:

Nutella & strawberries What a great combination! :) I LOVE it

15. Great post! I would love to hear more about the recipe-creation process. I feel so terrible when something doesn’t work out and I have to throw it away. But I try to think of it as art-it’s only worth it if it’s good. And I also tell myself I don’t need the calories of a not-perfect cake. How do you deal with failure without guilt?

DessertForTwo – At first it was hard to not beat myself up for a failure. I discovered that in failure there is a lesson. What did I like, what needed tweaking … I made myself face a fail as a learning experience and it really helped!

17. CC Recipe says:

Sorry you had to pull your hair out while creating this recipe, but at least you can enjoy these beauties bald headed, they look fab and I will definitely give these bars a try!

18. Katherine says:

Is the nutella flavor shine through? Or not really?

19. C&C Cakery says:

Looks like these little sweets were worth the time and the effort. Thank you so much for going through the pain of creating such a recipe (so we don’t have to!). They’re on my must-bake list for sure!

20. I’ve had quite a sweet tooth lately. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

21. Summer says:

These look so amazing. I will definitely be making these very soon. I love your recipes. Someday I will start posting mine..

What a delicious and inventive dessert! Yum. That chocolate crust looks so rich and moist and delicious!

23. These look delicious. I love seeing tried ad tested sure recipes. Layered bars are always a little daunting, it’s hard to get all the parts perfect!

24. that looks dangerous, but so inviting at the same time. you did well (:

25. David says:

Yummy! The photos look great!

1. Tweets that mention Strawberry Nutella Crumb Bars | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - July 19, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Renee J.. Renee J. said: Aaaaaaagggghhh! ->Faint!<- RT @bakingblog: Fresh, and long awaited, Shenanigans! Strawberry Nutella Crumb Bars – http://bit.ly/akZMCP […]

2. The Wholestyle Network » Blog Archive » Strawberry Nutella Bars with Chocolate Crust - July 30, 2010

[…] Strawberry Nutella Crumb Bars [Evil Shenanigans] […]

3. strawberry nutella crumb bars « ilonaskitchen - March 27, 2011

[…] Strawberry Nutella Crumb Bars […]

4. Spotlight on Strawberries - great recipe inspirations - May 9, 2012

[…] Strawberry Nutella Bars – Evil Shenanigans […]

5. Strawberry Nutella Crumble Bars | The Easy Kitchen - April 18, 2013

[…] If you ever wanted to find a crowd pleaser, this is it. Filled with way too much sugar and deliciousness the strawberry nutella crumble bars are a fantastic desert. The word “bar” is deceiving though, as they are pretty mushy, essentially you’ll need a bowl and a spoon to eat these.  Thank you to evilshenanigans for the recipe. […]