Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies

I’m something of a brownie junkie.

Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies

That said, I am very specific about what I want in a good brownie, and I’m sad to admit I am not satisfied with most coffee shop or bakery brownies.  Give me deep, dark, intense, and fudgy brownies and I am a happy woman.  These needs do not change when the brownies in question are topped with a creamy cheesecake layer.  In fact, I find I get even more picky when cheesecake is added.  I want my cheesecake layer creamy and light, but with distinct tangy flavor.  Also, I prefer that cheesecake layer to be chocolate.

Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies

As cheesecake brownies go, these are my ideal.  The chocolate flavor is bold, the cheesecake is tangy, and the brownie on the bottom is moist and chewy.  Let these brownies warm up slightly before serving.  Not that you can’t eat them cold from the fridge (on a  hot day these brownies surprisingly refreshing straight from the chill chest), but the flavors of the chocolate and cheesecake are best closer to room temperature.

Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies      Yield 12

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2 1/2 ounces sugar
1 egg
1 ounce dark (65% or higher) chocolate, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
2 tablespoons sour cream

Heat the oven to 350 F.  Spray an 8 x 8″ pan with non-stick spray, line with parchment paper leaving a three inch overhang on either side, and spray the parchment.

Begin by preparing the cheesecake layer.

In the bowl of a food processor combine the cream cheese and sugar.  Process until smooth.  Add the remaining ingredients and process until well mixed.  Set aside.

Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies

In a small microwave safe bowl add the butter and chopped chocolate.  Using 30 second bursts, melt the chocolate with the butter.

Pour the melted chocolate in a large bowl and add the sugar, golden syrup, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla.  Whisk until smooth and well mixed.

Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies

Add the cake flour, cocoa powder and salt.  Whisk until the mixture is smooth, about ten strokes, then fold in the chocolate chips.

Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies

Set aside 1/2 cup of the brownie batter, then pour the remaining batter into the prepared pan.  Top with the cheesecake batter.  Drizzle the reserved brownie batter over the cheesecake and, using a butter knife, swirl the batter in.

Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies

Bake for 40 minutes, or until the sides pull away and the cheesecake is just set.  Allow the brownies to cool completely, then chill for at least two hours before slicing.

Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies

Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies”

1. Beautiful! I never thought to make the cheesecake layer in brownies chocolate! How fun! :)

2. Brie says:

look at all that chocolate! you can’t go wrong when cheesecake and brownies are baked together – yum!

3. RavieNomNoms says:

Those look absolutely gorgeous aannnndddd delicious!

I want, I want, I want:)

5. Eliana says:

I have never thought about combining cheesecake and brownies but what a genius idea. This looks awesome.

6. Michelle says:

Wow. I’m wishing I had a plate of these sitting by me right now. Totally drool-worthy!

7. C&C Cakery says:

I’m just like you – the cheese cake has to be light and fluffy with a distinct tang of cheese or I’ll have none of it. Wonderful recipe pictures!

8. Looks yummy and it slightly different from the cheesecake brownies I make.

9. briarrose says:

These look delicious. The chocolate cheesecake layer is a wonderful idea…I’m so used to seeing the cheesecake layer in brownies plain I never thought to make a chocolate variety. ;)

10. Barbara says:

Those look positively e-vil. I don’t think I can resist making them. That weight watchers scale is going to squeal out in pain next time I step on it.

11. These brownies look decadent, That cheesecake looks so light and creamy and the brownie looks like my favorite way to eat them…fudgy, I so have to give these a try!

12. I’m a total brownie and cheesecake junkie…so this is the perfect combination for me! Thanks! :)

13. Gorgeous! It looks positively sin-full!! But I wan a bite!

14. those are pretty amazing looking. i make a cheesecake brownie with chocolate brownie and passionfruit cream cheese… highly recommended. but i can not wait to try your recipe! love your blog.

15. Evan says:

I had a store bought brownie last night and it was definitely disappointing.. these however look fabulous! I think I’m goig to have to make some to make up for my experience last night…

16. Hungry Jenny says:

I had to stop myself licking the screen when I saw these, they look fantastic!

Hungry Jenny x

17. Just look at those layers!!!!!!! *droooool*

18. fooddreamer says:

These do look pretty darn good, and right up to your specifications! There are too many so-so brownies out there, sadly.

I too am a brownie junkie. And I’ve never thought about CHOCOLATE cheesecake in brownies…genius.

20. me again.. :0)
    i was gifted this silly little award thingy and played along. no pressure for you too as well… but just wanted to let you know. amazing blog.

21. Duuude, they look nice and fudgy, exactly how a good brownie should be :)

22. These look sensational!!! I love the swirls on top:)

23. Chocolate cheesecake in a brownie! I would never have thought of that! Looks delicious!

24. These look so incredibly rich! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

25. Meredith says:

Oh man this looks delicious! And your photographs are beautiful! Everything here looks great!
    I recently launched my own blog, I’d love for you to check it out and let me know what you think! :) Thanks!

26. OK, now that we’ve met I feel comfortable coming out and admitting that I’ve been known to make a pan of fudgy brownies and eat them all by myself the same day.

Whew…I feel better admitting that. Now I need to go back to my brownie pan and finish off the crumbs before my husband gets home.

27. Seriously your blog makes me drool. Every post. And I am stuck at Wake University eating bagged lunches… sigh…

28. Jennifer says:

I consider myself a brownie junkie as well….these are by far one of my favorites!!! Delicious!!!!

29. WOW. I’m in heaven. I must be. I cannot wait to try making these!!!!!

30. Kendall says:

Hi,
    I’ve been admiring this recipe for a long time, and today I sat down to actually make it, when I realized I wasn’t 100% sure about the measurements. I don’t have a kitchen scale, so if they’re weight measurements, do you have any tips on measuring the cake flour or sugar?

Thanks so much!
    Kendall

31. Kendall says:

Sorry, I meant to ask, whether the “Ounces” measurements are by liquid or weight. Feel free to just e-mail me directly. I know it’s a very specific question.

32. Jill says:

These look heavenly! So excited by this recipe, can’t wait to give it a try. :)

1. she eats bears « the twisted chef - August 27, 2010

[…] Evil Shenanigans.  Recently discovered.  I heart this blog.  Just click and check out her chocolate cheesecake brownies – to die for.  Can’t wait to get in the kitchen and try those. […]

2. The Weekend Dish: 8/28/2010 | Brown Eyed Baker - August 27, 2010

[…] Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies (from My Baking Addiction) A brownie layer with a chocolate cheesecake layer on top. Takes care of my chocolate and cheesecake cravings all at once! […]

3. 10 Rich Recipes for National Cheesecake Day | Yummly - July 30, 2011