Chocolate Dipped Lime Cardamom Cookies

Mon, Aug 16, 2010

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

When it is hot out I find lime to be most refreshing.

Chocolate Dipped Cardamom Lime Cookies

Even in cookie form, lime flavored treats seem to taste the best when the temperature outside starts to soar.  We are in the middle of a heat wave in the Dallas area, so I am all about refreshing at the moment.  Since I was making cookies with lime I decided to add a little cardamom to the cookies.  The floral citrus flavor of cardamom punches up both the flavor and the aroma of the lime without overpowering it.

Chocolate Dipped Cardamom Lime Cookies

The cookies straight out of the oven are very pale,  so I decided to dip half the cookie in chocolate for a dramatic contrast.  The chocolate is not merely a cosmetic addition.  What you may not know is that chocolate, lime and cardamom play so well together.  The tang of lime helps cut the richness of the chocolate, and the aromatic cardamom adds to the depth of the chocolate while adding brightness to the lime.  You may need to store these cookies in the fridge if it is very warm.  I know with temperatures in the min-100′s I have had to keep them cold, but that just makes them more refreshing in my opinion.

Chocolate Dipped Lime Cardamom Cookies       Yield 4 dozen

1 cup butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg, cold
1 tablespoon lime zest
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chopped chocolate, melted (I used 72% dark chocolate)

Heat the oven to 350 F and line two sheet pans with parchment paper.

Chocolate Dipped Cardamom Lime Cookies Chocolate Dipped Cardamom Lime Cookies

In a large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, lime zest and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy.  Add the egg, lime juice, and vanilla and mix until well combined.

Chocolate Dipped Cardamom Lime Cookies

In a second bowl sift together the cardamom, salt, flour, and baking soda.  Add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix on low speed until well mixed.

Scoop the dough by rounded tablespoons three inches apart onto the prepared sheet pan.  Bake for 10 to 13 minutes, or until the bottom edge of the cookie is just turning golden and the cookies are puffed.  Cool for 5 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Dipped Cardamom Lime Cookies

Once the cookies are cool dip half of the cookie into the melted chocolate.  Place the cookies on a parchment lined pan and chill in the refrigerator for an hour.

Chocolate Dipped Cardamom Lime Cookies

Chocolate Dipped Cardamom Lime Cookies

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Chocolate Dipped Lime Cardamom Cookies”

1. What an interesting flavor combo! I would love to try them – they look fabulous.

2. RavieNomNoms says:

I just have to try these!

3. Debbie says:

I keep hearing more and more about cardamom and have yet to try it. I think chocolate dipped cookies is a way to start, thanks!!

4. Janis says:

This looks fantastic! I have to try it. I just made Pistachio and Cardamom Whoopie pies and love that taste of cardamom in a cookie. I think the lime would be even better.

5. C&C Cakery says:

Lime & cardamom are one of my favourite flavour combos. I’ve never seen it in a cookie before! These are definitely going on my must-bake list. Thanks for the recipe!

6. Mmm…I’ve never tasted the lime/cardamom pairing, but it sure sounds delish!

7. Elle says:

Beautiful! I love the heaping amount of lime zest in there. :)

8. Lately I can’t get enough cardamom… I know I’d love these. Beautiful photos and presentation… The cookies look very elegant!

9. I LOVE the lime/cardamom combination, and I can only imagine the chocolate makes these cookies even more indulgent! Delicious!

10. Flour Child says:

I always get kind of weirded out about cardamom (I think because we usually wind up with huge chunks of it when we use it.) But I can’t think of a better recipe to try it with. This sounds so, so, SO good.

11. Claudia says:

Love the intense flavors and there is something about lime and summer that just goes so well together.Plus – they are asking me to eat one and I try to grab it across cyperspace…

12. maria says:

I am a sucker for lime treats! These cookies are amazing!

13. These are gorgeous and what I wouldn’t give to have one RIGHT NOW. This is on my list to bake in the near future. Thank you!

14. Heather I. says:

I never would’ve thought of adding cardamom, great idea! Your photos are excellent and they are making me want to try these right away, especially with that chocolate coating…yums!

15. Jillyann says:

Ok…those look magnificent and I LOVE lime, cardamom AND chocolate so these must be the perfect cookies. When can I expect my package?

16. Lime is a great, refreshing summer flavor…these cookies look delicious! Dipped in chocolate is the perfect touch :)

17. Evan@swEEts says:

I imagine these cookies being as good as the chocolate dipped key lime pie you can get in Key West.. I meant to buy cardamom at the grocery the other day but was not ready for the cost!

18. Needs more chocolate but then I’m probably biased. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us all.

19. Eliana says:

I totally agree Kelly. I find lime to be incredibly refreshing in the summertime. I had never tried it with chocolate though so I have now put this on my to be baked list.

Ooh I am loving your creativity with the flavors here.

21. Lime and cardomom! Wow. What a wonderful combination :)

22. Anna says:

I made these, and they’re fantastic! I made a second batch with cinnamon instead of cardamom and orange instead of lime (because that’s what I had when I got the craving for these cookies)! You can’t go wrong! I think I’m going to try to find a lemon combo, just to round things out.

1. Tweets that mention Chocolate Dipped Lime Cardamom Cookies | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - August 16, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Janet Rudolph, Evil Shenanigans and Evil Shenanigans, Diana R. Diana R said: RT @bakingblog: Chocolate Dipped Lime Cardamom Cookies: When it is hot out I find lime to be most refreshing. Even in cookie form,… http://bit.ly/dvgRgj [...]