Peach Cream Pie

I recently went on a road trip to Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Peach Cream Pie

One of my road trip rules is to find off-the-beaten-path places to eat.  I prefer to eat where the locals eat, since they often have the most unique, and tastiest, food.   Why eat at a chain place, or, even worse, a fast food window?  We hit Texarkana around lunch time and, using the trusty iPhone, we found a place called Bryce’s, a cafeteria which has been around since 1931!  Reviews for Bryce’s were good, and almost all of them said to try the peach pie.  Who am I to argue?

Peach Cream Pie

Their peach pie was lovely!  A creamy custard topped with cooked peaches, all inside a flaky crust and topped with whipped cream?  How can any of that be bad?  Well, when I got home I decided I needed some more of that pie, but I was not going to drive back to Texarkana, so I had to make my own.  Below is my version, and I am happy to report it may be better than the pie that inspired it.  The crust is made with butter only for richness, and I reduced the custard layer so I could have more peaches.  Peach Cream Pie takes a little time to make, but trust me when I say it is worth it!

Peach Cream Pie   Yield 1 – 9″ pie

3 tablespoons water

For the whipped cream:
1 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon powdered gelatin
1 1/2 teaspoons cool water

Begin by preparing the crust.

Peach Cream Pie

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt.  Add the cubed butter and, with your fingers or a pastry blender, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like coarse sand with some pea sized pieces of butter mixed in.

Peach Cream Pie

Add two tablespoons of cold water and mix with your hands until the dough forms a shaggy ball.  If the dough seems too dry add an additional tablespoon of water.  Knead the dough five times by pressing the dough out gently, folding the dough in half and repeating.  Wrap in plastic and chill for one hour.

Peach Cream Pie

Once the dough is chilled roll it out on a well floured surface until the dough is 2″ wider than the 9″ pie plate.   Line the inside of the pie pan with the dough, making sure not to pull or stretch the dough in the pan.  Trim off any excess leaving a 1″ border of dough hanging over the outside of the pie pan.  Gently tuck the dough under, making the edge of the dough even with the edge of the pie pan, then flute the dough with your fingers.  Cover the dough loosely with plastic wrap and chill the prepared crust for at least one hour.

Heat the oven to 425F.

Once chilled dock the crust with a fork on the bottom and sides, line the shell with foil, and fill with baking beans or pie weights.   Bake the crust with weights for 12 minutes.  Remove the foil and weights and return the crust to the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown all over.  Cool completely before filling.

Peach Cream Pie

For the custard, in a saucepan whisk together the milk, sugar, cornstarch, and egg until well mixed.  Cook this mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it comes to a boil and thickens.  Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and butter.  Pour the custard through a strainer then pour the custard into the cooled pie crust.  Place some plastic wrap directly on the custard while it is hot and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least three hours.

Peach Cream Pie

For the peaches, in a large bowl mix the peaches with the sugar and cinnamon.  Let stand for ten minutes.

Peach Cream Pie

In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat.  Pour the peaches into the melted butter and cook, stirring constantly, until the peaches are soft.  In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and water.  Bring the peach mixture to a boil and add the cornstarch.  Cook until thickened.  Turn off the heat and allow to cool for ten minutes.

Peach Cream Pie

Using a slotted spoon to drain off any excess juices, top the custard layer with the peaches.  Chill the pie for one hour.

For the whipped cream, mix the powdered gelatin with the water.  Let stand ten minutes, then melt in the microwave for ten seconds.  Let cool for five minutes.

Peach Cream Pie

In the bowl of a stand mixer add the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla.  Whip on medium-high speed until it starts to thicken.  Slowly pour in the gelatin and whip until the cream forms medium peaks.  Spread the whipped cream on the pie and then chill for at least one hour.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

37 Responses to “Peach Cream Pie”

1. This is beautiful!

I don’t know if you’re a Joy of Cooking fan, but there’s a recipe for Peach Cream Pie that has you pour the custard over the peaches and they bake together. It’s delicious too.

2. Jan says:

This pie looks great! I guess you used the gelatin to stabilize the whipped cream? Brilliant!

3. This looks heavenly! I love peaches and custard and whipping cream! Might have to make this one this weekend!
    -Gina-

Jan – Yes, that is exactly right! If you do not do that it will fall apart after a day, or so. This way it will stay lovely and fluffy for a few days.

5. Jim Mosier says:

Wow. CAn I come over to play? I’ll bring my supersized fork and a gross of moist towelettes? That looks amazing. I can’t wait to try.

6. Evan Thomas says:

These look beyond creamy. Yum!

7. CC Recipe says:

This peach cream pie definitely does look worth it, I would love a slice right now, PLEASE!

8. Carol Egbert says:

Cool, smooth, creamy and peachy, Yummmy.

9. Lindsay says:

I had plans to make a peach pie this weekend and I’m going to use this recipe now! Thanks for sharing!

10. Sarah C. says:

Wow, that looks divine! I am so glad you posted this on foodgawker. Here I am at work itching to get home and whip this one up! Thanks again…

This looks so freakin tasty!! Great job!

12. Oh dear this looks incredibly delicious! I’ve been wanting to make a pie like this, but I’m too scared I’ll finish the whole thing on one sitting!! Dangerously tasty :-)

13. Eliana says:

Next to the word pie in the dictionary is a picture of this creation. It looks absolutely amazing.

14. This looks delicious! Can’t wait for summer now :-)

15. Chef Dennis says:

oh that looks so good…..what a wonderful custard to put those heavenly peaches on…..wow…then a nice layer of whipped cream….count me in on that pie!!

16. I’ve been making peach pies all summer but they were always double crusted. I never thought to replace that top crust with a layer of whipped cream. It looks delicious!

17. Eileen says:

Oh – now I have to make a peach cream pie… I can’t resist making this one! Thanks for sharing

18. Tamara says:

This looks so delicious! I just made my first pie crust from scratch on Sunday. Needless to say I need more practice. :-) Your crust looks perfect!

19. Shirley says:

What could be better than peaches and cream? Yum!

20. Just WOW!!! This pie is to die for. I have to try it soon! You blog is great. Love all your pictures! Thanks so much for sharing it!

21. Holy cow. I am speechless. That looks incredible and I just want to dig in.

22. maria says:

Your pie is DREAMY!

23. Stunning, and oh my I bet it tastes absolutely fabulous! I just made peach tartlets that were delicious, but peach desserts and pies are my mom’s favorite desserts, so I think I should be a good daughter and make this for her! :)

24. This looks delicious. A lot of steps, but worth it, I’m sure!

That is one delicious-looking pie! Yum.

26. Ooh… This pie looks amazing! I picked 20 pounds of peaches (I’m crazy like that) over the weekend and now I need something to do with them… I’ll have to give this one a try!

27. Memoria says:

I bookmarked this recipe. The pie looks amazing!

28. Sara says:

This looks and sounds delicious. Can’t wait to try it.

29. Jean says:

Your peach cream pie looks wonderful!

30. Yum Yucky says:

Peaches are extra tasty this season. I need to tackle this recipe!

31. Rachel says:

I ended up making two of these this weekend, and you weren’t kidding. This pie took 10 hours to complete. That being said, it was TOTALLY worth all 10 of them. I ate three pieces. The family said it could be more sweet, so I was thinking of adding it in the custard layer. What do you think Kelly?

Thanks for another astonishing recipe!

32. Elizabeth says:

WOW! i love peaches and in Australia you dont see them in pies very often. This is incredible. thanks for sharing!

33. Kathleen says:

As someone FROM Texarkana who has eaten this pie every year for decades, I can certainly understand why you loved it because it is a local favorite! Every year people start talking about when will Bryce’s Cafeteria start making their peach pies because they don’t start until they can get fresh peaches! I’m definitely going to try your recipe because it is definitely one of my daughter’s favorites but I have to say… there is something about the traditioin of going to Bryce’s to have a slice that is pretty hard to beat :)

1. Tweets that mention Peach Cream Pie | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - August 10, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans and MaryeAudet, Kare Troughton. Kare Troughton said: RT @bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Peach Cream Pie! http://bit.ly/aA9CvX [...]

2. The Wholestyle Network » Blog Archive » Peach Cream Pie - August 20, 2010

[...] Peach Cream Pie [Evil Shenanigans] [...]

3. End of the month photo roundup – September | iscribblings - September 30, 2011

[...] folks, is a peach cream pie.  I adapted this recipe by Evil Shenanigans.  It was my swan song to peach season and it was even more delicious [...]

4. 50 Best Pie Recipes on the Internet (and maybe in the world) « 50 Best Recipes « - March 14, 2013

[...] Peach Cream Pie [...]