Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Is there anything better than a well made pound cake?

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake Pound cakes are highly satisfying and wonderfully versatile.  I’ve served pound cake for dessert with whipped cream, I’ve served them with fresh berries for breakfast to great acclaim, and nothing beats pound cake for an after work/school snack.   Pound cake can also be the base for other desserts, like my favorite holiday treat, trifle!  So, with fall supposedly on its way (it was 90F in Dallas again yesterday) I felt a light, tender pound cake flavored with spicy cinnamon was in order.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Cream cheese is the miracle ingredient in this cake.  The addition of cream cheese leads to a thick batter that batter holds more air.  If you mix this cake properly you end up with a voluminous, but stable, web of air bubbles.  Once baked the texture of this cake is deceptively light while remaining tender and moist.  Cinnamon is a prominent flavor in the cake, but I didn’t go overboard.  Balance is key, and  each bite has a gentle cinnamon warmth and a buttery finish.  My preferred way to serve this cake is with a dollop of fresh, lightly sweetened whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake      Serves 10-12

4 ounces, or 1/2 block, cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
5 eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups cake flour
Powdered sugar for dusting
Fresh whipped cream for serving

Heat the oven to 325 F and spray a 10 inch bundt or tube pan thoroughly  with non-stick spray.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until completely combined and lighter in color, about five minutes.  Add the sugars and cream for another five minutes on medium speed.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition, about one minute.  Add the vanilla and mix to combine.  The mixture may look slightly curdled at this stage.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake

In a medium bowl sift both flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Once sifted whisk to make sure the ingredients are evenly mixed.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour.  Do not over-mix.  Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pan, tapping the pan lightly on the counter to loosen any large air bubbles and to settle the batter into the pan.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until the cake springs back when gently pressed in the center, and it starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.  Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Dust with powdered sugar, and serve with whipped cream if desired.  Enjoy!

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

37 Responses to “Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake”

1. peabody says:

Mmm, got to love pound cake. Looks super good.

2. Beautiful! I agree with you about pound cake… It’s one of my favorites, and so versatile! Love the addition of cinnamon and cream cheese. Will be making this one :)

3. RJ Flamingo says:

I love a good pound cake, too, and I never would have thought of using cream cheese and buttermilk. But I can taste it now, and that’s heavenly!

4. Carrie says:

I do like pound cake, but it’s usually too cake-like for me. I’m more of a eat-the-frosting kind of girl. Or in this case, eat-the-whipped cream. I bet this is delish with creme fraiche!

5. Cherine says:

Looks wonderful!!

6. Once I tasted pound cake made with cream cheese, I’ve never gone back. I use Southern Living’s recipe, but I can’t wait to try your variation! Thanks for sharing! :)

7. Dimah says:

That pound cake looks absolutely delicious and perfect!

8. I would love to be bad with a slice of this! It looks fabulous!

9. Susi says:

Amazing sounding pound cake! I have been making a ricotta pound cake that is fabulous but will have to try this version, it sounds perfect for fall!

10. Eliana says:

There is NOTHING better than a good pound cake. This one looks like it won’t disappoint!

11. Evan Thomas says:

Beautiful! I definitely want to lick the screen

12. Tiffany says:

Wow, sounds and looks amazing! Maybe it should be called Cinnamon Cream Cheese POUNDS cake, because I know I could gain a few with that around!

13. Catherine says:

Wow this looks so incredible! Beautiful photography!

14. Mindy says:

Oh yum. Sour cream goes great in a pound cake too, keeps it nice n’ moist.

15. Oh! No Way! You always go over the top – Evil Shenanigans totally fits you. And it thrills me!

16. Sara says:

This pound cake looks amazing and I love the cinnamon flavor you gave it!

17. Great job, it looks perfect indeed! I love the cinnamon and cream cheese kick!

18. Lisa says:

What a yummy looking piece of cake. It sounds so rich with the added cream cheese.

19. sara says:

This cake looks fantastic! I love cinnamon in cakes, and this looks like a great version. :)

20. I make my pound cakes in a bundt pan too :) Yours looks delicious!

21. Heather I. says:

What an interesting and novel combination. Perfect to help spice up the traditional pound cake. This would be perfect for the holidays!

22. Annie says:

I love pound cake but have never made it myself. After reading this I think I might have to give it a try. Cream cheese sounds strange but it makes sense after you think about it. Thanks!

23. RavieNomNoms says:

How fantastic!

24. That looks so wonderfully fluffy and delicious! Bookmarked:)

25. Oh, that’s a sexy-looking slice of heaven right there. Sounds like a promising pound cake recipe. Thanks!

26. This looks fantastic! I can imagine how lovely it would be with a nice cup of tea! :-) Maria x

27. Mmm I love cinnamon! This looks delicious and I love that sliver of a slice.

28. Saw this pic on Dessert Stalking… stunning, gorgeous photo!! Nicely done…

Wow this looks amazing.

30. This looks and sounds amazing!! Gorgeous pics too!

31. Sugar Tree Baking says:

I have this baby in the oven right now. House smells fabulous and the hungry mob is gathering, waiting for a fine treat.

32. grace says:

me likey. me likey a lot. this is the finest pound cake i’ve ever seen, and that’s that.

33. Dave Abell says:

Thank you for ALL the marvelous recipes. I enjoy making treats for our Sunday School class as well as bringing them to work ( Krispy Kreme). I look forward to making this pound cake, and I ALWAYS share with the group from whom I received the recipe.

34. S.K says:

Thanks for the recipe. Made it for a host, everyone loved it!

1. Friday Favorites – Episode 67 | my kitchen addiction - September 24, 2010

[...] to a bit of creativity.  Next time I make pound cake, though, I’m going to be trying this Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake from Evil Shenanigans. It looks moist and wonderful… and perfect for [...]

2. » Saturday Surfing - September 25, 2010

[...] Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake [...]

3. Christmas Eve Dinner! Or, Finally Catching Up on My Blog… | My blank page - January 2, 2012

[...] a maple-roasted butternut squash and apple salad with a maple mustard dressing, poached pears with cinnamon cream cheese pound cake, and sparkling sangria with cranberries and [...]