Paneer Potato Cakes

In the last few months I have discovered a few new ingredients that I absolutely love!

Paneer Potato Cakes

The first of these is a spice called asafoetida, a deeply pungent smelling spice that, when cooked, adds a smooth onion flavor.   A little of this spice makes a big difference as far as complexity of flavor is concerned.  The other ingredient is chickpea flour.  I was inspired to try this from a cooking show where the presenter made sweet potato cakes with chickpea flour as the binder.   I had to try it.  When fried, chickpea flour becomes very crisp and has a mild, almost nutty flavor.

Paneer Potato Cakes

I had been toying with a potato cake recipe for a while, but I had been putting it off until one evening I spotted a creamy white block of paneer at the store.  Paneer is a hard cows milk cheese with a mild, tangy flavor.  It does not melt, which means you get lovely little nuggets of warm cheese through out the potato cakes.  Crispy and creamy with a mild curry flavor, these cakes would be good as an appetizer or a side dish.  These are best right from the pan, but you could hold them in a warm oven for as long as thirty minutes if you needed to.  Just so you know, hot Paneer Potato Cakes and mango chutney are a match made in heaven!

Paneer Potato Cakes    Yield 15 cakes

2 cups peeled and diced russet potato
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup strained yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
1/2 cup chickpea flour
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida, optional
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
4 ounces paneer, cut into small cubes
Peanut or vegetable  oil for frying
Mango chutney for dipping

Begin by cooking the potatoes.

Paneer Potato Cakes

In a large steam pot add 1/2 in of water.  Place the potatoes on the steam basket, cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.  Remove the potatoes to a medium bowl and mash with a fork until only small lumps remain.  Allow to cool slightly.

Paneer Potato Cakes Paneer Potato Cakes Paneer Potato Cakes Paneer Potato Cakes

In a large bowl combine the onion, garlic, chickpea flour, yogurt, and spices.  Mix well.  Add the potatoes and mix until just combined, then add the paneer and mix until evenly distributed.  Form the mixture into 15 cakes roughly 3 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick.

Paneer Potato Cakes Paneer Potato Cakes

In a large skillet add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Working in batches, cook the cakes for about five minutes per side, or until golden brown and crisp.  Drain on a towel before serving.

Paneer Potato Cakes Serve with mango chutney.  Enjoy!

Paneer Potato Cakes

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Paneer Potato Cakes”

1. I have never tried that spice, nor have I tried chickpea flour, but I have always wanted to try the chickpea flour. I love potato pancakes – such a comfort food for me!

2. These look mouthwatering good! I love the addition of the mango chutney as well. I am such a sucker for potatoes. They’re the ultimate comfort food.

3. RavieNomNoms says:

These look FANTASTIC! I would just absolutely adore these!

4. Sara says:

You did a fantastic job. I made potato pancakes over the weekend, but had a completely different take on them (posting results tomorrow). I have to be honest, your recipe outdoes mine in a big way. Hungry now…

5. Yum! This looks like my kind of dinner! Love it!

6. I’ve never tried that spice, but I am loving the combination of these flavors – some of my favorites.

7. great idea! They look delicious…theresa

8. Eileen says:

Oh dear… You just reminded me of the fried mashed potatoe patties my mom use to make with left overs. I had completely forgot about them, and I don’t know how – they are delicious. Thanks you for tweaking my memory.

9. Lisa says:

I agree with you on Asafoetida. I just discovered that spice myself. Its fantastic. I bought chick pea flour but have yet to use it. This recipe sounds delicious. I’ll have to try it soon.

10. I remember eating these growing up and loving them. Had forgotten about them. This could be good for packed lunches. Thanks for the trip down memory lane

11. Eliana says:

WOW – these babies are packed with all kinds of flavor! They sound and look super delicious.

12. Victoria says:

This looks excellent! I love Indian food and I love your variation :)

13. Wow, I have to try to make this recipe. I love Indian food so I think I would love it. How did you learn all of it, did you have a Indian chef mentor or website?

14. yeni says:

Asofetida is an interesting spice, but it sure is stinky! Do you think these will hold up in the oven for baking instead of frying??

15. Rosa says:

Those look lovely and so tempting!

Cheers,

Rosa

Pam – I just sort of used my knowledge of plain potato cakes that I make with holiday left-overs and added Indian spices.

Yeni – Not sure how well these would bake. The frying keeps the insides creamy while giving a crisp crust outside.

17. MichellePC says:

These look so tasty! To be honest, I had a bad experience with paneer, served to me at a sketchy Indian restaurant in New Hampshire – but I love Indian food, and must give it another try. This looks like the perfect recipe to do so!

18. Mindy says:

What a deliciou-sounding twist on potato pancakes. I make a lot of those- the whole latke thing- but with these spices, and paneer, and yogurt- oh my.

19. Those look lovely! I also like to use chickpea flour. I bought some of it when I was doing some gluten free baking for a friend, and I’ve been throwing the leftovers in here and there. Now I have another recipe to try it in!

20. This is almost a staple here where I live, but it looks delicious!! That mango chutney looks wonderful!

21. these potato cakes look delicious. look at all those spices too!

1. Saag Paneer Recipe | Guilty Kitchen - December 14, 2011

[...] Sharmis Passions Paneer Pound Cake from My Diverse Kitchen How to Make Paneer from Indian Simmer Paneer Potato Cakes from Evil Shenanigans Paneer Bruschetta from Journey Kitchen [...]

2. Saag Paneer Recipe | Guilty Kitchen - December 14, 2011