Salted Honey Lavender Shortbread

Thu, Sep 16, 2010

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

Lavender, as an ingredient, is a little controversial.

Honey Lavender Shortbread

Most people I know either love it or hate it.  There is little room in between.  With its clean floral aroma, and a flavor that reminds me of rosemary with out the vociferous pine aftertaste, lavender can be delightful if used properly.  As with anything, too much can ruin a dish.  Do it right and you end up with something subtle, fragrant, and beautiful.

Honey Lavender Shortbread

My favorite flavor to pair with lavender is honey.  Honey has herbaceous characteristics that, depending on the type you buy, compliment lavender and adds to its unique appeal.   For fun I decided to add a few flakes of good quality sea salt to the tops of the cookies.  Random bits of salt enhance not only the overall sweetness but the lavender flavor.  These cookies are lovely, moist, and crumbly and due to the honey they keep fresh longer than other cookies.  May I suggest eating these with some hot Earl Grey tea?  You won’t be disappointed.

Salted Honey Lavender Shortbread     Yield 16 cookies

7 1/4  ounces (1 1/2 cups) all purpose flour
5/8 ounce (2 tablespoons) corn starch
2 1/4 ounces (1/3 cup)  sugar
6 1/2 ounces (3/4 cup)  unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons good quality honey (lavender preferred)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lavender
1/2 teaspoon flake sea salt, or to taste

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8 x 8″ pan with non-stick spray, line with parchment paper leaving a three inch overhang on either side, and spray the parchment.

Honey Lavender Shortbread

In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, cornstarch, honey, kosher salt, vanilla, lavender, and butter.  Blend on low speed until well mixed and smooth.

Honey Lavender Shortbread

Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan.  Dock the top well with a fork, making sure not to press the fork completely though the dough.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the center of the cookies feel firm with lightly pressed and they are golden brown all over.  Allow the cookies to cool five minutes then evenly sprinkle the tops with sea salt.  Allow to cool for and additional thirty minutes in the pan.

Honey Lavender Shortbread Honey Lavender Shortbread

Using the parchment overhang lift the shortbread from the pan.  With a sharp knife cut into 16 squares.  Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack before serving.

Honey Lavender Shortbread

Honey Lavender Shortbread

© 2010 – 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , ,

34 Responses to “Salted Honey Lavender Shortbread”

1. Annapet says:

Oh, and with lavender tea…What a teatime treat. Thanks for sharing.

2. I made some lavender shortbread this year too for the first time; mostly because my plan to have enough lavender in the garden worked. Five bushes means I can now use some without ruining the beauty of just one bush!

It was a gamble but it paid off big…and it’s all about moderation. I didn’t want a perfume taste so used the lavender very judiciously and I have to admit…loved them. Now to try them with some honey and salt; brilliant!

3. Cheryl says:

Uh, yum! Kelly, as always you’re making me fat(ter)!

4. RavieNomNoms says:

Just wow! That looks aaahmazing!

5. What a great combination!! I would love a big giant piece.

6. This sounds really nice. I had some in a restaurant and I’ve always wanted to try and make it myself. Thanks for sharing!

7. Eliana says:

I have never cooked or baked with lavender but it sounds like it worked great in this cookie. Lovely combination.

8. fooddreamer says:

These look so darn perfect, how do you do that??? I have had lavender in a few cookies before and I quite like it. And I do adore shortbread!

9. I am typically not a “white cookie” person (preferring chocolate and peanut butter and that sort of thing) but shortbread is an exception (must the be butter!). Lavender sounds wonderful, and I can see how the honey would mellow it out! Lovely combo . . . Cheers, Michelle

10. m says:

I love lavender paired with honey! And lavender in general. These look amazing. I’ve never baked/cooked with lavender before because honestly I can’t find dried lavender anywhere! :(

11. That looks absolutely gorgeous. I hope someday you will open a shop and I can buy these cookies and have them shipped to California :o)

12. Sara says:

I’ve actually never tried lavander in my baking but you totally got me with this recipe. This shortbreads looks amazing

13. Just lovely.. I will have to try this out. Thanks.

14. I LOVE this flavour you put together. This is one for my bookmarks, thanks daaaaahling!
    *kisses* HH

15. Evan @swEEts says:

Shortbread is my fave cookie! I just told my bf that we needed to plant lavender asap so I can bake with it!!

16. Very pretty! My mom is a big lavender fan, and I know she would love this shortbread. I will have to make it for her. :)

17. Lisa says:

Oh how lovely. I ordered some culinary grade lavender and it just arrived. I have never baked with it before so I am super excited to try these yummy looking treats. Thank you for taking the time to share the recipe. :)

18. C&C Cakery says:

Honey and lavender is one of my favourite combos – even better than peanut butter and chocolate :)

19. Brad says:

Sounds tasty, now if I only knew how to bake…

I love salty treats. I know I will love this one!

Oh, yum, and I just got a bunch of lavender and was wondering what I would make with it!

22. Carrie says:

Mmmm, lovely! I was just at my favorite spice shop and almost got lavender! I backed out because I wasn’t sure what to make. This seems really, really doable. And doesn’t take too much lavender. Curious about how it tastes!

23. Sounds delicious, I’m love lavender in food (as long as it’s used judiciously, too much and it’s like eating Grandma’s soap!) I’ll definitely give the recipe a shot :)

24. I’ve never had the pleasure of trying lavender, but that shortbread sure looks wonderful!

25. Lisa says:

What a lovely recipe. I can’t wait to try it out.

26. currycook says:

I made these and they came out nice! I liked that it was all one bowl, too. Thanks.

27. I am definitely going to try these…adding honey…yum!

Here’s my lavender one, if you’re looking to give another recipe a try. So delicious. Then again, with that much butter and sugar, how could you really go wrong?

Anyone else have any favorite holiday cookies? I’m already getting excited for my baking weekends come December, so will have to add some additional sweet goodies to the list!

28. andrahyb says:

How do you slice your shortbread so pretty? I always make a mess out of it, they crumble all over, is there a trick you can share?

29. mary p says:

these were so awesome.though they didnt last long , as they were quickly and thoroughly enjoyed by all.it felt like i was cooking some fancy cookie for afternoon tea.very fun.thank you for sharing!

1. Salted Honey Lavender Shortbread « rosemarried - December 28, 2010

[...] Salted Honey Lavender Shortbread (Adapted from Evil Shenanigans) [...]

2. Classic Lemon Shortbread - March 6, 2012

[...] Salted Honey Lavender Shortbread from Evil Shenanigans [...]

3. Honey Lavender Shortbread | sel et sucre - July 20, 2012

[...] Lavender Shortbread (adapted from Evil Shenanigans) Yield: 16 2″x2″ pieces of [...]

4. Classic Lemon Shortbread - January 31, 2013

[...] Salted Honey Lavender Shortbread from Evil Shenanigans [...]

5. Salted Lavender Shortbread Bars - March 19, 2014

[…] and veganized from Evil Shenanigan’s Salted Honey Lavender Shortbread recipe Makes 16-20 small […]