Apple Fried Pies Made With Puff Pastry

First, thank you to everyone who voted for me to make it to Round 4 of Project Food Blog!  I am so excited to be participating in this round because we are going to have one of my favorite evil treats!!  The challenge:

Sure, you can take a pretty picture. But your task here is to go above and beyond and use photography to create a step-by-step, instructional photo tutorial. It could be anything from how to bone a chicken to how to make your favorite recipe, but your photos need to guide the reader through the steps.

Voting for this round is from October 11th to the 14th.

In Texas we tend to like our food deep fried.

Puff Pastry Fried Pies

A staple of most Texas childhoods is a good, old fashioned fried pie.  Golden brown crust, crisp and warm from the oil, filled with spicy fruit, or creamy custard, filling.  Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.  Due to their immense popularity there are plenty of places to get fried pies, and most of the time they disappoint.  Greasy, soggy, and filled with mushy fruit or even worse, canned pudding, these pies are a disgrace.

Puff Pastry Fried Pies

My fried pies are a bit of a process, and a little over the top, since I make fresh, hand rolled puff pastry, but they are so worth the effort!  The layers of buttery pastry, crisp on the outside, tender on the inside, are filled with crisp apples favored simply with a little cinnamon and sugar.   Simple flavors make the best pies, so feel free to fill these with any other fruit or custard filling  you like, just don’t over do it.  With nothing more than a little powdered sugar, and maybe a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, you have a dessert that is perfect year round.

Puff Pastry      Yield about 2 1/2 pounds of dough
Adapted from A Baker’s Tour by Nick Malgieri

For the butter block:
1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

For the pastry dough:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cake flour
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, slightly softened and cubed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup ice cold water

Begin by preparing the butter block.

Puff Pastry Fried Pies

On a sheet of parchment paper dusted with half the flour, lay down four sticks of butter.  Dust the top with the remaining flour and cover with a second sheet of parchment paper.  Using a rolling pin press and pound the butter until it forms a rectangle about 1/4″ thick.  Place this in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Puff Pastry Fried Pies Puff Pastry Fried Pies

Puff Pastry Fried Pies

While the butter chills prepare the dough.  In a stand mixer combine the all-purpose flour, cake flour, salt, and the cubed butter.  Using the paddle on low speed, mix until the mixture looks like sand.  Switch to the dough hook, add the cold water, and mix until a ball of dough just forms.  Do not over-mix.  Add more water, one tablespoon at a time if needed.  Cover the bowl and let the dough rest thirty minutes.

Puff Pastry Fried Pies

Once rested roll the dough out on a well floured surface until it is roughly 12″ by 24″.  Take the butter block, still wrapped in parchment, and see if it covers 2/3 of the rolled out dough.  If it is too small roll it out until it fits, leaving a 1/2″ border around the edges.  You can use your fingers to spread the butter if needed, just make sure that the butter does not develop any holes.

Fold the dough with out butter over the center of the dough.  Fold the buttered side in.   At this point check to see of the butter is getting soft.  You want the butter cool and firm, but if it is starting to get too soft wrap the dough and chill for thirty minutes before you make the first turn.

Puff Pastry Fried Pies

Turn the dough 90 degrees, or with the long seam facing horizontal to you.  Dust the board and the dough well with flour and roll out the dough into a rectangle that is about 12″ by 20″.  Dust all the flour from the dough and fold one quarter of the dough in, then the other side so the dough looks like a book.  Dust the top of the dough to remove any flour and then fold the dough in half.  Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for an hour.

Repeat this process three more times.  Once the last turn is complete you are ready to use the dough as desired.  Wrapped well it keeps for one day in the refrigerator, or up to two months in the freezer.

Fried Pies with Puff Pastry     Yield 12 pies

1/3 recipe puff pastry
1 firm apple, granny smith preferred
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 egg, beaten
Oil for frying
Vanilla ice cream
Powdered sugar

Puff Pastry Fried Pies

Peel, core, and dice one apple into 1/4″ or smaller pieces.  Put the apple in a bowl and add the sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch.  Toss to coat.  Cover and chill for at least one hour.

Puff Pastry Fried Pies

If using fridge cold pastry allow to sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes.  Roll out the puff pastry until it is 12″ by 20″ (about 1/8″ thick).  Cut the dough into 12 squares.  Working with three squares at a time, keeping the rest in the refrigerator, fill the center of each square with about 2 teaspoons of the apple mixture.  Brush the beaten egg along two sides of the pastry, fold the pastry over so the edges meet, then crimp the edges with a fork.  Return the pies to the refrigerator to chill for thirty minutes before frying.

Puff Pastry Fried Pies

Fill a deep dutch oven at least three inches deep with oil, making sure the oil is at least three inches from the top of the pot.  Heat the oil to 375 F.  Working in batches, fry the pies until golden brown on both sides, about three minutes for the first side and about two for the second side.  Drain on a rack over a paper towel lined sheet pan.

Puff Pastry Fried Pies

Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar and a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

Puff Pastry Fried Pies

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

69 Responses to “Apple Fried Pies Made With Puff Pastry”

1. Jess says:

Wow those look fab! Never having made puff pastry you make it look possible. Good luck with the next round!

2. Courtney says:

This looks amazing. Mmm butter!

3. sippitysup says:

Now that looks like some fine eatin’! Great pics too. GREG

4. Joy says:

GIRL you did a FANTASTIC job!!! MMmmm I love apple pie with ice cream and I loved your puff pastry photos. You are awesome, good luck for Round 5!!!!

5. Oh yum, this is gorgeous! I’m happy you chose to illustrate a dessert, you’re so good at them. Something I really have to work on is making my own dough, even for a simple savory pie. I too often choose the easy pre-made way and I’m a bit ashamed to admit it! I am bookmarking your post and I will try puff pastry, I swear! I’ve decided I would face all my kitchen demons :)

Happy also that you’re deep frying in a Dutch oven, makes it more accessible (not everyone own a fryer). Great job and oh, of course you’ll get my vote as soon as voting opens! Cheers :)

6. Ginny says:

now that my arteries have clogged… looks so good! :)

7. deep fried butter laden pastry…if that doesn’t get you through to the next round, nothin’ will! Best of luck…great post! Theresa

8. One of my all time favorites, though admit I usually go for cherry but I’ve had such wonderful apple desserts this fall, this looks inviting and warm and wish I had one right now!

I love the instructional on the butter block..but I’ll admit…my effort would be more like 1. Get in the Car and 2. Go buy some puff pastry at the grocery store.

I am so typically a homemade everything type person…is the difference in puff pastry really evident like it is in the difference between homemade and store bought pie crusts?

9. Congrats on making it to round 4! I’m so happy for you–you deserve it! Fried pies are such a Texan classic! Thanks for sharing!

10. Oh Kelly, amazing as usual. Good luck!

11. Lizzy says:

Oh, these look delicious!!! I’m going to have to cheat using some Dufour puff pastry and make these when my in-laws visit! Thanks for the beautiful inspiration!

12. I have always wanted to make puff pastry from scratch – you have inspired me. A deep fried apple pie – what could be better. Nice done. Good luck with challenge #4!!!

13. mariko says:

Puff pastry! This is exactly why i buy it frozen. Totally scary. ;)

14. Well done Kelly.. those pies look so crisp and delicate with just the right amount of filling, you nailed it! Those pics are worth a 1000 words… :)

15. Eileen says:

WOW! Martha Stewart move on over…. Great post, best wishes!

16. Brie says:

yum, those look scrumptious! great dessert – best of luck!

17. sophia says:

You are my hero. Falling more and more in love with your killer gluttony adventures each post.

18. Annie says:

Those look so delicious! I just heard of fried pies for the first time a few weeks ago. I can’t believe that I have parents from West Virginia but have never had one.

I tried to seek them out at an apple butter festival I was at over the weekend but nobody had them. Maybe I wasn’t far enough South.

I think you have inspired me to just use your recipe and make my own. Thanks!

19. Shannon says:

You had me at “butter block”!!!!

20. Evan@swEEts says:

These totally beat the bowl of cereal I had for breakfast this morning.. now I’m craving fried pies! Great photos!

21. impressive that you made home made puff pastry. Always tastes amazing, with the flavor of real butter. Voted.

22. These pies remind me of those ones you got at the public pool in the summer… these, of course, are WAY better than the ones I had as a child.

You have my vote, of course!

23. WTG, Kelly. Out of the ballpark… unlike the Rangers yesterday.

24. i’m all for the deep-fried option! these are gorgeous! makes me miss Texas… :)

25. Oh these look AMAZING! Love me some fried pies… of course I won’t even attempt this recipe for fear of fried pie over dose… instead can you send me just one? You have my vote.

26. Beautiful! These pies look lovely… Love all of your step by step photos, too.

27. Mouth watering photos and awesome recipe choice! I totally want to make these now. You have my vote, of course!

Drool…fried apple pies. Yum.

29. These look awesome. I love fried anything. I love apples. I love puff pastry. Basically, you made these for me, didn’t you? :)

30. Awesome post!!! As a fellow Texan, I fully understand the need for excellent fried pies. YUM!! These look perfect- as always, you have my vote!!

31. YUM these look INCREDIBLE! Nice job! you have my vote! :)

32. you def made puff pastry look easy, which is hard to do! Congrats!!

Whit

33. Hungry Jenny says:

Congrats on making it through, I’ve voted for you to get to next round :-)

Your pics are amazing, I love your photography. Deep fat frying does scare me so – but those pastries sure look tasty!

Hungry Jenny x

34. Karen says:

Yum! Those little pies look like they’re fried to perfection. One of these days, I’m going to give homemade puff pastry a try – you’ve made it look doable! Great tutorial – you’ve got my vote!

35. Joy says:

It looks incrediable. Good luck. I know you will go on to the next round.

36. Amy K. says:

Definitely picture PERFECT!

37. zenchef says:

Voted!
    They look absolutely delicious awesome! I didn’t know which adjective to use so you’re getting both. :)

38. Jo Anne says:

Wow, those look heavenly!

39. Winnie says:

Beautiful job! I made puff pastry once but it was not as perfect as yours. I cannot even imagine how good these fried pastries must be…you’ve got my vote, for sure ;)

40. ela says:

the pictures are mouthwatering!

41. Lisa says:

Those apple pies look so mouthwateringly delicious. Great tutorial. Now I’ll be able to try making puff pastry of my own. I voted for you.

42. Heather says:

Oh, my….this really is an evil shenanigan! ;) This looks sooooo delicious.

43. Sues says:

These look absolutely amazing- so professional! But I fear I’d eat a whole batch if I wasn’t being watched :) Good luck!! :)

44. Leah says:

Excuse me while I clean up my drool.

45. ediblecville says:

Wow, you get my vote just for attempting and SUCCEEDING at making puff pastry from scratch! *applause* Nice work girlfriend :) :)

46. Jeanne says:

Gorgeous pies! Your puff pastry tutorial is easy to follow, and the photos are beautiful. You have my vote!

47. riceandwheat says:

Great post – the photos are essential to understanding how the recipe works so I love your choice. Besides, any recipe that has the phrase “butter block” in it is an immediate winner in my book. Good luck this round!

48. Victoria says:

Laminating dough is so much fun! I made croissants in culinary school and it was crazy to see how it turned out. These pastries are gorgeous and I bet they were super tasty!!

49. I want some of these now !! Can you ship some to Paris ??? :)
    Seriously, I’m a big advocate of everything homemade but I’m the first one to go buy puff pastry, your posts make this *look*easy so maybe I may give this a try. I love desserts like this and I’m sure that the homemade pastry is what put this over the top ! Good Luck !

50. Food Lover says:

mmm yum yum, feel like eating write now, it looks really yummy, thanks for the recipe & wish you good luck :)

1. Applepalooza! Wrap Up - The Hazel Bloom - November 11, 2010

[...] Apple Fried Pies and Sweet Potato, Apple, and Caramelized Onion Gratin from Evil Shenanigans [...]

2. Apple Recipe Round Up – Bites From Other Blogs - November 1, 2011