Carrot, Cardamom and Coconut Soup

I always carry with me a book I call my ‘Inspiration Book’.

Carrot Coconut Soup

This is the place where I jot down ideas, or flavors, so when I get back to my home kitchen I remember what it was, exactly, that inspired me.  This little book has served me well, and it is directly responsible for this soup.  When my husband and I were off at IFBC last month we took a little side trip into Vancouver, BC.  I had never been to Canada and it was beautiful there.  One night at dinner I had a carrot soup that was flavored with cardamom, honey and coconut.  I scribbled down the flavors in my book with a promise I would make something similar at home.

Carrot Coconut Soup

I loved the base flavors of the soup, but there were a few things I wanted to change.   First, the soup in Vancouver was pretty thin.  When I started the soup I only added a couple of cups of vegetable broth and let it thicken, adding more until it was thick enough to lightly coat a spoon.  Once blended it was nice and velvety.  Second, that soup had WAY too much honey in it, making it almost candy sweet.  I ended up adding 1/4 cup of honey.  A little sweetness is lovely, but I was careful not to take it too far.  I added a tablespoon of honey at a time until I got it were I wanted it.  This is a great soup to enjoy with a grilled ham and cheese sandwich on a chilly evening.

Carrot, Cardamom and Coconut Soup    Serves 6

3 cups vegetable stock
1 – 13 ounce can coconut milk
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Fresh mint for garnish

Carrot Coconut Soup

In a large pot heat the butter over medium heat until it foams.  Add the carrots and onions and cook until they start to soften, about ten minutes.

Carrot Coconut Soup

Add the garlic, ginger, cardamom, cumin, chili sauce, salt, and pepper.  Cook until the spices are fragrant, about five minutes.

Carrot Coconut Soup

Add the flour and cook until no dry flour remains, about three minutes.  Slowly, stirring constantly, pour in the vegetable broth.  Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, partially cover, and cook for 20 minutes.

Carrot Coconut Soup

Once reduced puree the mixture in the blender until very smooth.  Pour back into the cooking pot and add the coconut milk, honey and lime juice.  Simmer, uncovered, for ten minutes or until the soup reaches your desired thickness.  Serve with fresh chopped mint.

Carrot Coconut Soup

Carrot Coconut Soup

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Carrot, Cardamom and Coconut Soup”

1. I have an inspiration book too! It has served me well. :) This soup sounds incredible – I amma huge coconut and cardamom fan!

2. Victoria says:

I love soup, and I love all those flavors!! I don’t have an actual inspiration book, but I probably should! I do write down ideas sometimes in email drafts on Word documents on my computer, but I need to be reminded of them more so I can actually do something about those dishes or ingredients that inspired me :)

3. Evan@swEEts says:

I have a little notepad I carry around for inspiration as well :) I love all the flavors involved in the soup, but unfortunately I’m not a huge fan of coconut, so I’m trying to think how I might switch it up! Can’t wait to discuss Tosh!

4. Isabelle says:

Sounds like an amazing combo… I’m a big fan of carrots and cardamom as a flavour pairing. Great job on taking your inspiration and translating it into something even better at home.

5. Evan Thomas says:

Yumm! This has some of my favorite flavors.

6. fooddreamer says:

Your version sounds wonderful, I will definitely make this! Vancouver is one of my favourite cities, I went to undergrad there.

7. Carol Egbert says:

Carrots, cardamom and coconut are three of my favorite flavors. I’m sure this will delicious.

8. just the thought of the flavours together makes my mouth water, but the vibrant colour of your soup is drool worthy! Glad you got some inspiration from my hometown…Theresa

9. Annie says:

That looks great! I also have been in a soup kind of mood latlly. Too bad I don’t like coconut. Maybe I could substitute almond milk or something?

10. This looks especially good after making my first carrot soup recently. I did it out of the necessity to use up some carrots and surprisingly loved it so much that now all carrot soups sound so much more appealingly. I can only imagine how wonderful it is with the two C’s!

11. GreenGirl says:

One of my family favorite soup is carrot-cardamom soup, I’ll add some coconut milk next time to it and I have your soup, thanks for the idea

12. RavieNomNoms says:

Perfection!

13. This sounds really delicious. I have to ask, though, is the soup not pureed? It doesn’t say to puree in the recipe, but in the photographs of the final soup I see no evidence of carrot chunks. Do they just disintegrate?

AmerArab Wife – Sorry about that. I fixed it.

15. Cara says:

That sounds wonderful! I love that you took inspiration from a restaurant dish and then made it your own. Some of my most successful dishes came about that way.

Oh wow, yum! I love cardamom, and I can imagine this is lovely.

17. LOVELY! I can almost smell that soup through my computer screen!

18. Spice Sherpa says:

‘Tis the season for soups like this! Always love finding new ones. Plus cardamom is one of my favorite spices ever. It’s so versatile. Thanks for sharing.

19. Joanne says:

I love finding inspiration in the most unlikely of places. Even more than that, I love remembering to write them down. This soup sounds divine! Definitely a stellar and intriguing combination of flavors.

20. Tara says:

Thanks for the recipe! This is my favourite soup! I’m from Vancouver and frequent the restaurant from time to time just for their carrot soup.

1. Friday Favorites – Episode 68 | my kitchen addiction - October 8, 2010

[…] it started, but I’ve been adding cardamom to everything. So, naturally, I need to give this Carrot, Cardamom, and Coconut Soup from Evil Shenanigans a try. Isn’t it […]